Phantom GE Dip?

Just a few weeks ago, Regiment's GE score was holding its own, if not its high mark at times. What's with the dip? It doesn't seem like they are getting consistent numbers in that area? If Phantom's GE score would have kept on track, they would be right on BD's heels, not being chased for the 4 spot. What do you guys think?

Speaking of dips...

Bluecoats Vis Perf

7/23 San Antonio: 17.50

7/25 Enid, OK: 17.00

7/26 Broken Arrow. OK: 16.20

:blink:

Just a few weeks ago, Regiment's GE score was holding its own, if not its high mark at times.  What's with the dip?  It doesn't seem like they are getting consistent numbers in that area?  If Phantom's GE score would have kept on track, they would be right on BD's heels, not being chased for the 4 spot.  What do you guys think?

Can I buy this dip at my local grocery store??

:P

Seriously, there are a few judges out there at this point in the season who's numbers don't make a lick of sense. Makes me wonder how DCI is assigning judges to some shows recently.

Also brings to light the comment I've made several times in the past.... there are way too many judges on DCI's roster right now who are not judging based on that particular night's performance, positive or negative. Many have made the "slotting" comments before, and unfortunately, I think we have some judges who have drawn a "line in the sand" regarding putting some corps above others in the caption they are judging.... Take Phantom.... by far should be doing better in GE captions at few shows..... Take Bluecoats... Some folks who are well-schooled and well-versed in the marching percussion realm say they should be a definite contender for high percussion at finals, and should be scoring better then Scouts, BD and even Cadets bar none... Take Cadets... erratic guard scores when their guard is really hammering right now.

What's going on?? Some people in the judging community need to explain themselves.

What's going on??  Some people in the judging community need to explain themselves.

Don't hold your breath.

Though I certainly understand your point...

I think that George Hopkins said it best in his blog on Sunday. :blink:

He said this, NOT A DIRECT QUOTE: "The winner this year might have a lot to do with who is judging finals night!" :worthy:

I actually agree with this. You only have to look at the Cavaliers Music GE numbers recently to figure this out. :worthy:

San Antonio Music GE: 17.7 (behind Blue Devils and Cadets)

Troy, AL Music GE: 18.3 (ahead of Blue Devils)

With a number like that in San Antonio the Cavaliers would have beaten Cadets by more than a point. So either the Cavaliers worked a lot on Music GE over the last couple of days, or finals will actually depend on who is judging. I guess this is what happens when comparing apples to oranges. I guess this years Cadets and Cavaliers shows is like comparing Rush Limbaugh to Ted Kennedy!!! :sshh:

Edited by LaSqueegee

Perhaps the many changes various corps are putting into their shows right now are affecting the consistency of performance levels. Check out the diaries on some of the corps' web sites and you may see what I mean. As each show evolves, something different appears; some of these changes are improvements, some are not. There is pressure on judges, too, to make decisions on what they are seeing and hearing during this inconsistent part of the season. It's a give and take situation between show designers and judges, and necessary improvements will be made AND CLEANED. As in the past, the best shows will get their due credit come finals week. Wait and see. :)

I would not worry so much about the actual number, but rather how it relates to other corps...and sometimes you can't do that until they are all at the same competition. As far as being behind Madison and Bluecoats in both GE captions last night, I think Phantom's show is still a bit hit or miss in the GE area. I think its full of great effects visually and musically, but those effects are not "locked in" yet. I'm not predicting that they will finish like they did in 1996, but they had the same issues in 1996 with GE scores and ensemble scores. Alot depends on the "given night" scenario. I think they'll get scores to be proud of by the time they reach Finals. I think this year more than ever it at least appears that the judges are paying attention to what happens on a given night rather than scores looking like they are given because that's what the corps is expeected to get.

Oh yeah, I also neglected to say that the two corps that beat PR in GE last night are both phenominal this year. That has alot to do with it too. If Phantom pulls back in front of these two great corps in GE, that will be an accomplishment in itself, much less catching anyone else.

I was just going to post a similar question like this one. SHould have known someone would beat me to it. LOL

Seriously, in every single review from San Antonio & now from Broken Arrow as well, people have raved about Regiment's package and how strong the show is. Clearly their best GE show in a long time, in my opinion after years and years of a visual Achille's Heel. So, I just don't understand how they can be SO FAR behind Bluecoats and Madison in GE. To be more than a point behind Madison in GE, after seeing both corps twice in the past week, including Madison with their new ending in Enid on Monday, I just don't understand -- and I usually am pretty close to the mark in how I think corps will do GE-wise and how they actually do.

IF this is rectified, than I agree with others who say Regiment has a shot at 3rd...

Regardless, I was in the camp with so many others that groaned and moaned when Regiment picked Gershwin for this year, but count me wrong. This show is so beautiful & so exciting. For those of you in the Midwest who haven't seen them since early June, you are in for a treat in INDY!!!! :blink::worthy::worthy:

Harvey

SCV-

Enid 7/25- Music GE - 17.0

Visual GE- 16.5

BA 7/26- Music GE- 16.4

Visual GE- 17.1

hmmm :blink: