Teal Sound moves to Div. III

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Why?!?

Every corps looses a member or two during a season, its inevitable. But why has Teal lost so many? It can't be due to the heat outside, every corps is enduring that. I saw Teal come out of the gates this year with such a strong start....I don't like to hear news about them loosing so many members mid season.

But Why?!?

Every corps looses a member or two during a season, its inevitable. But why has Teal lost so many? It can't be due to the heat outside, every corps is enduring that. I saw Teal come out of the gates this year with such a strong start....I don't like to hear news about them loosing so many members mid season.

Does that go the same for Division 1 !!

Let's say if the Kiwanis Kavaliers lost 6 or so members would they be allowed to do the same thing and move down to Division II ?

I'm sad to hear about Teal Sound situation but as a Div 2 corps Teal was very competitive within the division. I admire Kiwanis Kavaliers with less than 70 members, staying in Div 1. What should happen, the Revolution with close to 80 members, should move up to Div 2 since the corps is larger than they were in 2003, when they were Div 2. Revo would make the top 5 this year with the talent on board now. This would make up for Teal Sound moving down. A GREAT IDEA....I'm serious.

We had parents pick up their kids after the Houston show and take them home.

I still see this as a ploy to remain "competitive" i.e. win a medal. Like someone else said, if a Div I corps lost members due to the flu or for any other reason and they were suddenly in the Div II size range, would they be allowed (Mid-season) to move to Div. II???

ABOSLUTELY NOT!

This is setting a bad precedent of being able to claim Div. II status.....go the majority of the season as Div. II and then switching to Div. III after you lose a couple of kids and realize that your hopes of being a medalist in Div. II aren't there.

Also, heat related illness (for the most part) would not force a kid to leave tour. Have them spend some time inside, drink lots of water, and get back outside. Perhaps it's something the staff and administration needs to look at.

If I had to guess I would say something else is forcing these kids to leave tour...

Hmmm.....sketchy.

Edited by divII/IIIlvr

First: the corps is now below the threshold to remain in Division II, so staying in that division isn't an option. Secondly, you haven't been on tour. Your accusations that we're sending kids home so we can drop to Div. III and win are as ridiculous as when people used to make the same accusations about Blue Stars and Mandarins. Finally, regardless of what corps it is, I will not allow this forum to be used to tear down a corps, especially with so many Div. II/III corps facing problems. Also, your comparison of dropping from Div. I to Div. II isn't valid, as a corps' admission to Division I is made by a DCI committee rather than by the corps itself, and isn't based on size; Pioneer and Kiwanis are the same size or smaller than some Div. II corps.

First of all....the fact that the corps is below the threshold to remain in Div. II is pointless. Things happen, and many corps stick with it and face the struggles they have.

Secondly...obviously I'm not on tour, I'm sitting at home.

Thirdly...I NEVER ONCE SAID you were only sending kids home so you could move to Div. III. That would be stupid. I only said that I believe there are reasons other than heat related illnesses.

Finally...the corps was very successful as a Div. II corps. And even with the smaller numbers, they would remain competitive, they just wouldn't win or medal. (and that hardly has anything to do with smaller numbers)

It's never anyones goal to tear apart a corps on this forum (and if you think it is...)

No one is ever happy to see a corps struggle or lose members.

First: the corps is now below the threshold to remain in Division II, so staying in that division isn't an option.  Secondly, you haven't been on tour.  Your accusations that we're sending kids home so we can drop to Div. III and win are as ridiculous as when people used to make the same accusations about Blue Stars and Mandarins.  Finally, regardless of what corps it is, I will not allow this forum to be used to tear down a corps, especially with so many Div. II/III corps facing problems.  Also, your comparison of dropping from Div. I to Div. II isn't valid, as a corps' admission to Division I is made by a DCI committee rather than by the corps itself, and isn't based on size; Pioneer and Kiwanis are the same size or smaller than some Div. II corps.

This whole issue raises some serious questions on many levels. Based on what information has been presented so far, it really seems there is far more to the story than simply a few kids having heat-related illness. That stuff happens to almost every corps, every year. The statement that "We had parents pick up their kids after the Houston show and take them home." is somewhat foreboding and might hint of internal problems. Parents know what the commitment is. It's extremely unusual that parents would pull kids out of any corps in the middle of tour. Something's wrong with this picture!

Also, why are there no minimum number requirements for Division 1? Or minimum competitive standards? Let's face it, there are several Div1 corps that probably should be in Div2. And it's a pretty reasonable conclusion the addition of more corps of that caliber would make that division far more competitive than it is currently. Is the only requirement to be a Div1 corps financial stability? Think back a couple years. DCI forced Magic to go Division 2 partly because they didn't think Magic was financially stabile enough to handle a Division 1 touring schedule. So....If I had a 40-member super corps with an unlimited budget, can I be a Div1 corps?

I think this should cause DCI to seriously re-evaluate the structure of every division. It just might be time for major changes!

Edited by Seahawk

Again, I'm speculating based on my past director experience (I'm sure the other directors who comment on here are on the road by now).

I'm pretty sure that because of the division change, Teal Sound will be automatically moved to first on at all II/III shows for the rest of the season. So, there is some competitive penalty for the corps making this move.

Brad

Also, why are there no minimum number requirements for Division 1? Or minimum competitive standards? Let's face it, there are several Div1 corps that probably should be in Div2. And it's a pretty reasonable conclusion the addition of more corps of that caliber would make that division far more competitive than it is currently. Is the only requirement to be a Div1 corps financial stability? Think back a couple years. DCI forced Magic to go Division 2 partly because they didn't think Magic was financially stabile enough to handle a Division 1 touring schedule. So....If I had a 40-member super corps with an unlimited budget, can I be a Div1 corps?

It was DCI quidelines that a corps who was deactivated for more than one season would lose their division 1 status. That would go for any corps in D1. It had nothing to do with Magic's financial stability at that time.

And to answer your last question... yes! It isn't all about competition.