Teal Sound moves to Div. III

First of all....the fact that the corps is below the threshold to remain in Div. II is pointless.  Things happen, and many corps stick with it and face the struggles they have. 

Thirdly...I NEVER ONCE SAID you were only sending kids home so you could move to Div. III.  That would be stupid.  I only said that I believe there are reasons other than heat related illnesses.

Finally...the corps was very successful as a Div. II corps.  And even with the smaller numbers, they would remain competitive, they just wouldn't win or medal. (and that hardly has anything to do with smaller numbers) 

It's never anyones goal to tear apart a corps on this forum (and if you think it is...)

No one is ever happy to see a corps struggle or lose members.

If I may chime in here, before it gets ugly with personal feelings, and no facts....

Falling below the Div 2 minimum number of 80 is one thing, because you have the Grey area of 71-79 to pick Div. 2 or 3.

Falling below 70 now makes it another story. The rule states that Div. 3 corps be between 30 and 70 members. The fact that we have 69, by Rule, determines that we are now Div. 3 size. We were just informing DCI of that fact.

So falling below the Numbers Rule Threshold to compete in Div. 2 is not pointless...its exactly the point.

The only way to stay and compete in Div. 2, is by waiver of the Numbers Rule by the DCI board. In other words, an executive decision applying to Teal Sound for this year.

The implication by some that we are moving to Div. 3 this late in the season, to medal or win, is not true. I must apologize at this time for the poor choice of wording in our posting, where it says; "We made a request that DCI reassign us to Div. 3, as our current number of marching members will prevent us from effectively competing in Div.2"

I can see where that statement is implying that we WANTED to move to Div.3, to be more competitive.

That is incorrect. What the writer of the post meant, was that the Numbers Rule would prevent us from competing in Div.2, based on the number of our members being at 69. It was put together hastily, and should have been proof read better. I appologize to all from Teal Sound.

Teal Sound began this summer at Memorial Day camp with move in. The majority of the corps are still High School students, and a majority of the guard are from Winter Guards, with no Corps experience. The several members of the guard that left at Houston, are from Texas. It turns out that this long summer tour that started on Memorial Day, is tougher then they expected, or have ever experienced in their lives. Anyone who has ever been on a Full summer tour, can attest on how difficult it is. These kids took the opportunity of being home in Texas , to go home. We will miss them, and hope they will be well. We are disappointed they didn't finish the season with us, but it was their choice.

Our program this year is very aggressive, and is challenging the performers to their limits. We have had some injurys over the summer, family deaths, and school related things, that have taken away a few members also. It has all added up over the summer.

We have had more then our share of bus beakdowns this summer,after going smoothly for the previous 3 years without incident.The odds caught up with us this summer.This, and the high cost of fuel, have made it a challenge this tour just to finish the season in Boston.

We planned a very aggressive tour this year, and will have been on the road for 72 days when its all done.

DCI will decide what Division we compete in at Championships.....I'm just glad we've survived the challenges of this summer, to hopefully make it there.

Teal Sound will do their best to perform for all drum corps fans, on the way to championships, no matter which Division we end up in.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I wish ALL the corps best success, and hope we all survive to do it again next season.....

John Hoekstra

Teal Sound BOD

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

Thank you for the clarification. It did sound like the only reason your corps was moving to Div. III was to stay "competitive." Which just didn't make sense. However, if DCI has said that because you now have 69 members, one less than the buffer, you must move to Div. III....thats a totally different story.

But....I still don't think it's good of the corps to ASK to be put into Div. III. Either way, It sounds like the corps has petitioned to DCI to change divisions. Is that correct??? If that is the case, then I truly do not feel it fair.

Also.....the fact that members have been "leaving" tour only let us outsiders believe that something else is going on. When I marched, and I did for a number of years, we lost maybe 1 member over the course of many seasons. Did we have people get sick from the heat (yup) did we have people break their legs or arms, or sprain an ankle? (yup) but they stayed with the corps till the very end.

The bus comments and financial comments have absolutely NO relavence to the fact that corps is switching divisions. Many corps go through numerous break downs each year and many financial struggles.

I wish your corps the best and I hope you survive financially.

Edited by divII/IIIlvr

John,

Thank you for the clarification.  It did sound like the only reason your corps was moving to Div. III was to stay "competitive."  Which just didn't make sense.  However, if DCI has said that because you now have 69 members, one less than the buffer, you must move to Div. III....thats a totally different story. 

But....I still don't think it's good of the corps to ASK to be put into Div. III.  Either way, It sounds like the corps has petitioned to DCI to change divisions.  Is that correct???  If that is the case, then I truly do not feel it fair.

Also.....the fact that members have been "leaving" tour only let us outsiders believe that something else is going on.  When I marched, and I did for a number of years, we lost maybe 1 member over the course of many seasons.  Did we have people get sick from the heat (yup) did we have people break their legs or arms, or sprain an ankle? (yup) but they stayed with the corps till the very end. 

The bus comments and financial comments have absolutely NO relavence to the fact that corps is switching divisions.  Many corps go through numerous break downs each year and many financial struggles.

I wish your corps the best and I hope you survive financially.

I have 2 kids in 2 different corps, I never post, I just read and check scores, but this whole thing bothers me. Here is my Problem with Teal Sound going back to Division 3…

1) It's hot everywhere in the country, why are we blaming the diminishing size of the corps on the heat. It's hot from the east coast to the west. DRINK plenty of Water!

2) May 15th was the deadline to go with your corps size

3) At this point you can compete in Division 2 and still place around 7th

4) Other corps have lost members this season, today one corps announced that they lost their drum major and are going WITHOUT one for the rest of the season, they are not asking for any special treatment from DCI.

5) Is this an ego thing amongst the staff? Why does it matter what place you are coming in, so long as your kids are learning and having a good drum corps experience, what is the big deal.

6) Should DCI now tell Revolution that they should march in D2 because they have 73 kids, no they did everything within the bylaws of D2/3

7) Perfect example, East Coast Jazz has 38 horns, the Surf has 60 horns, ECJ has been on top of the Surf all season, SIZE MEANS NOTHING!

8) Falling one person below the mark should not matter at this point, you started with enough kids.

9) Last ….let's face it, your corps is not a wreck, but you are definitely going to take away a finals spot from a corps that has been working hard all summer and busting their butts, focusing on that cut off position and you are going to STEAL it away from them.

What gives you the right to just do that? You are stealing a spot from some corps that made the choice to compete in Division 3 all season, not test the waters in D2 or blame the corps performance on loosing members. The directors of those corps in the 7 to 10 spots should be screaming at DCI right now!

The sad part is the kids have to go through this. As an organization, you should be embarrassed having to put kids through this it . This shows that your egos are in the way and you are being very selfish.

I have 2 kids in 2 different corps, I never post, I just read and check scores, but this whole thing bothers me. Here is my Problem with Teal Sound going back to Division 3…

1) It's hot everywhere in the country, why are we blaming the diminishing size of the corps on the heat. It's hot from the east coast to the west. DRINK plenty of Water!

4) Other corps have lost members this season, today one corps announced that they lost their drum major and are going WITHOUT one for the rest of the season, they are not asking for any special treatment from DCI.

5) Is this an ego thing amongst the staff? Why does it matter what place you are coming in, so long as your kids are learning and having a good drum corps experience, what is the big deal.

6) Should DCI now tell Revolution that they should march in D2 because they have 73 kids, no they did everything within the bylaws of D2/3

7) Perfect example, East Coast Jazz has 38 horns, the Surf has 60 horns, ECJ has been on top of the Surf all season, SIZE MEANS NOTHING!

8) Falling one person below the mark should not matter at this point, you started with enough kids.

9) Last ….let's face it, your corps is not a wreck, but you are definitely going to take away a finals spot from a corps that has been working hard all summer and busting their butts, focusing on that cut off position and you are going to STEAL it away from them.

What gives you the right to just do that?  You are stealing a spot from some corps that made the choice to compete in Division 3 all season, not test the waters in D2 or blame the corps performance on loosing members. The directors of those corps in the 7 to 10 spots should be screaming at DCI right now!

The sad part is the kids have to go through this. As an organization, you should be embarrassed having to put kids through this it . This shows that your egos are in the way and you are being very selfish.

AMEN!

I am writing DCI right now, and suggest everyone else do the same. THIS IS NOT FAIR!! If the date has passed......then stick with it!

dci@dci.org

They are usually fairly good about replying.

Edited by mdsnsctfan

What gives you the right to just do that?  You are stealing a spot from some corps that made the choice to compete in Division 3 all season, not test the waters in D2 or blame the corps performance on loosing members. The directors of those corps in the 7 to 10 spots should be screaming at DCI right now!

They don't have a choice. Any Non Div I corps below 70 members must be Div III. But it does beg the question of how late in the season can this change be made? I mean, what about the day of prelims - you are at 70 members and one quits. Do you automatically go into Div III. And why are there no membership limits for Div I? I figure KK is making more money as a Div I corps, but is DCI doing the fans a disservice listing them as a Div I corps?

TO THE TEAL SOUND FAMILY AND ALL CONCERNED DRUM CORPS FANS,

After extensive discussions with DCI personnel over the last two days, it is with

great pleasure to inform the drum corps community that Teal Sound will be allowed

to remain and compete in all Division II competitions with 70 members or less

for the balance of this season.

This, and only this matter of divisional size requirements was our question to

DCI Headquarters. It was studied, discussed, and resolved over the last 48 hours.

We are grateful for those who wish us well in our current season and are thankful

for all the kind words of encouragment!

We return to Div. II competition tomorrow in Van Buren, AK and hope to see

many of you there cheering on and supporting ALL the Drum Corps participating!

Sincerely,

John Pittman,III, AIA

President, BoD

Teal Sound

If they had to drop below numbers, the HONEST thing to do would be to tell DCI. What's worse, having to go to Div 3 and march finals, or staying on in Div 2 and not being able to march if someone finds out you're under the limit? Their scores are comparable with the top Div 3 corps, lets just be glad they are staying on the road.

(EDIT-The post above me was made while I was typing this, so I guess the situation is resolved. Good luck Teal with the rest of your tour, you guys are going in the right direction b**bs )

Edited by tylerdurden

If they had to drop below numbers, the HONEST thing to do would be to tell DCI. What's worse, having to go to Div 3 and march finals, or staying on in Div 2 and not being able to march if someone finds out you're under the limit?  Their scores are comparable with the top Div 3 corps, lets just be glad they are staying on the road.

(EDIT-The post above me was made while I was typing this, so I guess the situation is resolved.  Good luck Teal with the rest of your tour, you guys are going in the right direction  b**bs )

First of all, THANK YOU DCI!!! (too bad I just got done e-mailing them about the whole thing)

Secondly, I doubt that DCI would not let them march because they were 1 number under.