Teal Sound moves to Div. III

From Teal's web site -

We recently made a request that DCI reassign us to Division III for the remainder of the season, as our current number of marching members will prevent us from effectively competing within Division II. We have spoken with DCI this morning, and they have agreed to move us to Division III effective immediately.

At the present time, we have 30 brass players, 26 percussionists, 10 color guard, and 1 drum major with two assistant field conductors, for a total of 69 members. We feel that a reassignment to Division III will allow us to provide quality and excellence in performance, while at the same time remaining competitive with like sized corps.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's unfortunate that Teal has had to ask to be reassigned to DIII, but the fact that the corps members understand their situation and are willing to go on and keep competing speaks volumes to me about their dedication!! These kids have busted their butts all summer and refuse to quit. They've been dealt one tough blow after another this season and kepp pressing on. Congratulations to each of you and keep on putting it out there!! Your spirit and dedication is an inspiration to us all. Many other corps have experienced some of these same challenges and should be commended for rising about it and moving forward.

This change should make DIII competition at finals super interesting!!

See you in Providence!! :worthy:

Well it is backed up on the webpage;

http://www.tealsound.org/pressrelease072705.htm

But what I don't understand is that there are 9 Div IIs going to DCI. So, with the current system, all Div IIs were (and still are) guaranteed a spot in Division Finals, and since all corps are on the same sheets, have just as much chance to make Grand Finals regardless of division.

Teal is very competitive in Division II this year, but do respect the decision they made

I don't like this one bit.

Corps are asked to make a descion early in the season so DCI can set forth schedules. So now, Teal Sound has gone all season as a Div II corps (getting paid more??, performing later in the show, etc.)

But now, as they go through the course of the season they see they are not going to "win" in Div. II...they make the move to Div III where it seems they will have a good chance of either winning or taking 1st or 2nd place.

Sounds to me like a sad plea to be a champion.

B***SH**

From Teal's web site -

We recently made a request that DCI reassign us to Division III for the remainder of the season, as our current number of marching members will prevent us from effectively competing within Division II. We have spoken with DCI this morning, and they have agreed to move us to Division III effective immediately.

At the present time, we have 30 brass players, 26 percussionists, 10 color guard, and 1 drum major with two assistant field conductors, for a total of 69 members.  We feel that a reassignment to Division III will allow us to provide quality and excellence in performance, while at the same time remaining competitive with like sized corps.

I'm confused. I thought the DCI deadline for declaring your Division was May 15th? Yes, kids do leave during a season, every year, in every corps.

"...while at the same time remaining competitive with like sized corps."

But sixty-nine members is a VERY good size; in Div II OR III. Teal may wind up being the LARGEST Div. III corps, if allowed to change from Division II. So, why change? Teal Sound is a good corps who will be very competitive in Div. II. As someone else noted, with the # of II corps attending, Teal would probably make it into ALL II/III Championship shows. Is it just to be a medalist in III instead of a non-medalist in II? If so, should DCI allow them to switch? Also, does "DCI" (who is THAT?) have the authority to allow such a change? Isn't it up to the II/III Bd. of Directors to decide?

From Teal's web site -

At the present time, we have 30 brass players, 26 percussionists, 10 color guard, and 1 drum major with two assistant field conductors, for a total of 69 members.  We feel that a reassignment to Division III will allow us to provide quality and excellence in performance, while at the same time remaining competitive with like sized corps.

Although I respect this decision, I feel that Teal was already providing a quality and excellence in performance at the division II level. I think this decision should have been made by the organization and DCI before the season started though. Division 3 corps that are competing strong currently with 30-40 members aren't going to be too excited with Teal's change to Div 3.

Isn't the upper limit for Div 3 corps 60 members? Or has that changed?

this is straight from the DCI website,

Division II corps have memberships of no less than 80 and no more than 135 members. Division III units have memberships of no less than 30 and no more than 70. Corps with 71 to 79 members have a choice between Division II or III distinction. These size mandates are designed to offer more performance opportunities for more members without forcing any of the corps to expand beyond their financial means or competitive capabilities.

In these uncertain times for drum corps, it is truly amazing how many corps are suffering hardship throughout this season. Financial concerns are wide spread, and I’m sure everyone is panicked when financial viability is in question. Whether it’s Memphis Sound, Fever, or any number of corps, the number one concern is financial viability, and survivability.

Much has been said about Teal Sound’s decision to request a change in Division in order to maintain competitiveness within the drum corps arena. We definitely did not want to ruffle any feathers so to speak. Our understanding was that there is a marching members requirement in order to march any one of the three division of DCI. It’s our understanding that the division requirements are in place so as not to have an unfair competitive advantage, which would surely be the case in an instance were a Div III corps ever expected to compete against an organization like the Blue Devils, or the Cavaliers.

As explained in the press release for Teal, we have suffered not only member loses due to heat related injuries, but mechanical failure of transportation equipment which has plagued us from the beginning and is directly attributable to the unseasonable hot weather we are all having to endure. All of this has certainly created unexpected hardship on the corps as a whole.

We are hard pressed at this time to recruit new members and teach the show to them in time for finals. Our numbers have dwindled to a point that we are at the upper limits of the marching member requirement for Division III.

In an effort to appease the critics, we are not opposed to marching Division II or III. We thought our request to be reasonable in that the requirement is in place for the accepted number or marching members per division. My only recommendation at this time is waive the number of players required for division II, and let Teal compete without penalty for not being able to take the field with the minimum number of marching members required in that division.