Junior/Senior Combo Organizations

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back "in the day" you saw that a bit...Hawthorne had the Cabs and Muchachos at the same time, for example.

I don't remember it happening very often, though.

Mike

Mike

I think the Cabs/Muchachos thing proved some basic human nature; you can't have two programs that are successful under the same umbrella. When the Muchachos were a "feeder" corps for the Cabs things worked great. When they began pursuing their own objectives they had to go their separate ways, because they no longer had a common agenda.

Edited by MiamiSun76

One of the goals of North Coast Rock is to form a modern version of the junior/senior partnership. This partnership would not be with just one corps, however, but with all the junior corps in Ohio. Here's an example of that partnership:

Let's say Joe Contra tries out for Glassmen and doesn't make the corps. Instead of offering this person an alternate spot, he has the option of marching with North Coast Rock. During the season, while marching with NCR, a spot opens in Glassmen. Glassmen contacts NCR and says they need Joe to fill that spot. Joe immediately heads out to join Glassmen on tour. He's already been marching with NCR so he has his technique and rehearsal etiquette down. Joe learns the drill and music and jumps right into the show. After the DCI season is over, Joe comes back to NCR and finishes out the DCA season as well.

In a way, NCR would serve as a "Triple A" corps for the Ohio DCI corps. Each corps would have the option of sending people to NCR and, should the need arise, each corps would also have the option to "call up" those people to fill holes due to injuries or other reasons.

This is something NCR is still working out. The corps already has a wonderful relationship with Dave Glasgow and the Bluecoats and would like to have strong ties to Glassmen, Capital Regiment, and Marion Glory Cadets.

It seems logical, we have plenty of organizations with cadet corps (SCV/Vanguard Cadets, Colts/Colt Cadets, etc) and organizations the contain more than one Div 1 corps (Cadets/Crossmen, Madison/Southwind)... but groups that hose both a junior and senior corps seem to be escaping me.  If they're out there, I can't think of any.  Anyone know of any?

:worthy:

Back in the 60's into the mid-70's or so, the Hamilton American Legion Post in Baltimore was the home base for the White Knights (jr) and the legendary Yankee Rebels.

Can someone confirm, do the Empire Statesmen not run a juniour program as wel, I think they are only a parade corps? Anyone?

Empire Statesmen sponsor the Empire Cadets, which is a youth marching band and community outreach program open to any boy or girl in the Rochester area. They do standstills and parades in Rochester throughout the year.

While not officially a "feeder corps" for the Statesmen, members of the Empire Cadets have also marched with the Statesmen.