11 1/2 Minutes: A Drum Corps Story

11 1/2 Minutes: A Drum Corps Story

11_5_minutes.jpg

We received a good number of submissions for this contest (details here), and the judges have picked the two winning stories!

It happened with Dimension in 1996. In Québec, we remember 1996 as the summer of the floods. The parents of a girl who marched soprano with me both drowned when their sailboat sank between our first and second tour. No need to say that we never thought she would be back.

Well, just as we were leaving for the second tour, she showed at the bus with her luggage, ready to get onboard, less than a week after her both parent’s death. We dedicated our first performance to her and to her parents who loved drum corps very much. From this moment to the end of the summer, she was a true inspiration to every member in the corps. She made us forget about the heat, cold showers, the bugs... But most importantly, she made us realize the meaning of “being a family”.

In 1974, the Dutch Boy Cadets flew all night to do an eight day tour of Germany. Our first show was by far the most powerful. We walked out of the tunnel at the Olympic Stadium in Munich Germany and there were 80,000 people sitting there. We did our show and received a standing ovation from everyone in that stadium.

As we were trooping the stands, it started!!

One section of about 12,000 people started chanting CA-NA-DA, CA-NA-DA, by the time we had gone the whole track, 80,000 were chanting. Cold war or not, we were 110 of the proudest Canadians you've ever seen. There were tears in our eyes and everyone's chest in the corps rose another inch in good old CANADIAN PRIDE !!!!

OUR PROUDEST MOMENT !!

Each of these members will be receiving a free copy of the 11 1/2 Minutes: A Drum Corps Story DVD.

Congratulations, and thanks!

Mike

Woooooooohhhhhhhh !!!  b**bs

Thanks to Mike for the great contest.  :lol:

I hope you guys will be able to understand my poor English...  :lol:

Kekasse:

I had no problem reading your story, it was truly inspiring.

I would also like to thank the producers of this movie for providing the DVD's as prizes. I would also like to thank DCP and Mike New for providing a place for all drum corps fans to tell our stories and share in this great activity we all love.

Thanks Mike and everyone involved with DCP.

OH, CANADA !! :tic::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

congrats guys :)

~>conner

KEKASSE/ODCB:

Congratulations and "Tres Bien"....as a fellow American, French-Canadian I was

touched by your stories. (My grand parents are from Quebec)

For what it's worth. The Corps I marched "Simplex Minutemen of Gardner, MA, participated in the 1970 parade/stand still concert at the "Gold Cup Festival" on Prince Edward Island, Canada.

We had spent months perfecting OUR VERY FIRST FIELD SHOW (we were bascially a parade/exhibition Corps.) Well we got there to discover that the infield of a horse track negated use of M&M. ) - : Then our marvelous arraingement of OH, CANADA.... the Mellowphone ensemble which would have literraly brought tears to the audience eyes, was dropped at the last moment by our Corps Director....deemed too "radical and disrespectful" i.e. very sadly, just not PC in its day. :worthy:

Dispite those setbacks the folks of PEI embraced us, walked along the parade route with us!!! and wouldn't let our 65-75 member Corps off the field. I lost count of the encores....I have the entire show recorded on Audio cassette, it's amoung my most cherished Corps relics!

The greatest quote heard from the stands..'YOU'RE NOT GOING HOME UNTIL YOU PLAY ANOTHER NUMBER!" and the thunderous roar of a NON-STOP STANDING OVATION from many thousands in attendance, rendered the entire Corps to tears once we left the racing track.

The audio cassette played continuesly from PEI, Canada back to Gardner, MA on our Drum Bus! It sounds as amazing today as it did... 3 5 years ago!

Thanks for stirring up such heartfelt memories. ABSOLUTELY TERRRIFIC IDEA MikeN!

Merci Beaucoup! :huh:

Dennis Fleurant

24" Concert Cymbals

Simplex Minutemen 1965-72

Gardner, MA ( Known then as "Little Canada!" )