Season Pass working?

I don't know anything behind the scenes, but you've got to imagine it's pretty difficult to get a decent, stable connection to the outside world and then do a live broadcast. Then you have to pack up and go someplace else and do it all over again. You're also trying to do this on a weekend when there won't be any communications people at the local provider to help out (or even answer the phone).

I suppose they need those massive satellite trucks like the TV networks have, although it might cost a bit more than the subscription prices they're asking.

I hate suffering through glitches too, but I think it's a pretty good value considering the work involved.

Well, I think they ought to learn the lesson about not relying on local internet provider support, and at least make sure they are locally producing the data they need to instead of trying to run it over the internet. The internet has gliches all the time, for crying out loud! Don't depend on what you know may break. I don't care if there is a delay in getting the data on the net, just get the data right.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, but would everyone be less up in arms if it was quality checked but 1 day old? I could imagine that if they all got back to the office, etc., they could be a little more sure of things. But the reality is they're doing it live, and it's a high bar.

What floats your boat?

Well, I think they ought to learn the lesson about not relying on local internet provider support, and at least make sure they are locally producing the data they need to instead of trying to run it over the internet.  The internet has gliches all the time, for crying out loud!  Don't depend on what you know may break.  I don't care if there is a delay in getting the data on the net, just get the data right.

You know you're asking for instant stuff, and saying they shouldn't use the connection to make it instant...

You know you're asking for instant stuff, and saying they shouldn't use the connection to make it instant...

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying they should be working with the audio files locally at the show site on their local laptop computers and making sure they are readable there before transfer to the webserver. If they are doing any kind of streaming the file direct to the webserver while its being produced, that's not smart as far as I'm concerned.

The other issue I have is, by all appearances, it looks like they waited until the end of the show before realizing they had a problem, since they did not tell us about it until afterward. Either that, or they did not take the time to tell us about it while it was occurring. In either case, its poor quality - in the first, not checking your quality while you are going along producing the show. In the second, not informing your customers who are expecting live connection at the moment about technical difficulties as they occur.

No, that's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying they should be working with the audio files locally at the show site on their local laptop computers and making sure they are readable there before transfer to the webserver.  If they are doing any kind of streaming the file direct to the webserver while its being produced, that's not smart as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds like you know everything. They should hire you.

The other issue I have is, by all appearances, it looks like they waited until the end of the show before realizing they had a problem, since they did not tell us about it until afterward.  Either that, or they did not take the time to tell us about it while it was occurring.  In either case, its poor quality - in the first, not checking your quality while you are going along producing the show.  In the second, not informing your customers who are expecting live connection at the moment about technical difficulties as they occur.

Assuming the first case... let's assume that it was broken, and they found out afterwards. How do you have time to quality check, and use a "poor local upload" or whatever you said? I'm guessing, but you might have been more ###### off had there been no videos, right? Sounds to me like you're looking for things to complain about... <**>

Sounds like you know everything.  They should hire you.

Assuming the first case...  let's assume that it was broken, and they found out afterwards.  How do you have time to quality check, and use a "poor local upload" or whatever you said?  I'm guessing, but you might have been more ###### off had there been no videos, right?  Sounds to me like you're looking for things to complain about... <**>

Hire me? Not likely... and no, I don't know everything, and I'm just guessing at these problems, I have no idea if this is really it or not.

These videos are not instantly "live" on the web, in spite of DCI's claim that it is. They are recording them locally at the show site and then transferring them at a later point. If they have enough manpower they should be able to do quality checks on what they are doing beforehand.

As far as me looking for something to complain about, if you would read just a bit further at DCP you would find that I've talked a lot about the service and I think its pretty good overall. I signed up for a whole year as soon as I could, I thought it was such a great thing. I wouldn't be spending that kind of money if I thought it was crap. Its a great start to something that could be really awesome as it continues to improve in quality. I see nothing wrong with pointing out the flaws publicly, because it helps us all to know what needs to get better about it. Or am I not allowed to do that here? :worthy:

Just curious, but would everyone be less up in arms if it was quality checked but 1 day old?  I could imagine that if they all got back to the office, etc., they could be a little more sure of things.  But the reality is they're doing it live, and it's a high bar.

What floats your boat?

Yes, I agree its a high bar to do it "live". I personally would not mind if they took there time and did it right. By promising "live" they have a lot to live up to. If the quality continues to have problems, perhaps they need to back off on that promise and deliver the real goods when they can.

I didn't buy it cause I have the DVD's I want and I couldn't see myself buying that to sit in front of a computer to listen to snippets of a show. I thought they would provide a lot of the show for that price.

I understand Lancer Lady. But really, when it comes down to it, DCI could have a great thing here to pay the expenses and give the corps some revenue. If they did this really really well, put more video and longer video clips up, and all use first year buyers said that you couldnt live without it, more many more people would sign up. I think that this could be an excellent way to really stay connected to the corps that we all love. I'm sure that some people would say that putting the full shows on the DCI cam would detract people from going to the shows and buying the DVDs when they come out. But I would have to say to that:

1. Would you rather go to a live DCI show or watch the DCI cam of the event? Exactly.

2. Putting the complete shows would probably boost sales of the DVDs.

Just my two more sense, and I'm glad things are fixed in Indy. What do you think?

I understand Lancer Lady.  But really, when it comes down to it, DCI could have a great thing here to pay the expenses and give the corps some revenue.  If they did this really really well, put more video and longer video clips up, and all use first year buyers said that you couldnt live without it, more many more people would sign up.  I think that this could be an excellent way to really stay connected to the corps that we all love.  I'm sure that some people would say that putting the full shows on the DCI cam would detract people from going to the shows and buying the DVDs when they come out.  But I would have to say to that:

1.  Would you rather go to a live DCI show or watch the DCI cam of the event?  Exactly.

2.  Putting the complete shows would probably boost sales of the DVDs.

Just my two more sense, and I'm glad things are fixed in Indy.  What do you think?

I'd rather go to a live show.

I don't think it would detract people from going to a show. Not everyone can afford to hop on a plane and fly to Indy or wherever the regional shows are.

I am not going to DCI finals next year. I am going this year but it is more then likely my last one for a while. I don't even know if I'm going to any show at all and may not support anything but division 2/3 corps. I just don't like some of the things going on with the Division 1 corps anymore and I'm just losing my interest because of the way things are going. So why should I keep forking out money for something I don't enjoy and is basically frustrating me?

I had a dream last night that they changed it to BCI and called Band Corps International but there weren't any "International" corps and, I asked why do you call them "corps" when they are just Bands now? I remember it was "anything goes", but division 2/3 circuits broke off and reformed DCI.

Oh and just a sidenote , I went to the last few finals and loved Cavaliers show but didn't buy the DVD. I may just buy the individual corps that I enjoy shows on DVD from their websites and support them that way if I decide to buy any at all.

Edited by Lancerlady