feeling a little old

I marched in drum corps from 81-90. A friend of mine who I marched with in 1985 went to a drum corps rehearsal this past weekend and sarcastically reminded me that it would be like someone who marched in 1965 coming to one of our rehearsals in 1985. We are all in our mid 30's but that certainly gave me a new perspective as to my age.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched in drum corps from 81-90.  A friend of mine who I marched with in 1985 went to a drum corps rehearsal this past weekend and sarcastically reminded me that it would be like someone who marched in 1965 coming to one of our rehearsals in 1985.  We are all in our mid 30's but that certainly gave me a new perspective as to my age.

I hear ya! I marched 80-87 and I'm regularly reminded that many of the kids marching now weren't even BORN yet when I was marching! UGH!

I know how you feel.  I ran into a Regiment member who told me how the years I marched were part of "history night."  It's nice, but he didn't look a day over 16.  I started marching drum corps 18 years ago.  Yikes!!!

Hey! Cadets have been marketing and celebrating their 3-peat as a "blast from the past"...which started 11 years AFTER I left the corps! :P

Mike

I have a former student who is a member of the Blue Devils colorguard. He loves to remind me that he was born the same year I first marched for Scott in the guard at Spirit (1985). Yikes!!!

I have a former student who is a member of the Blue Devils colorguard

Wayne told me he started feeling old when kids of kids he taught or marched with were trying out for the corps.

I remember being astonished when some kid who was in the C corps since he was about 4 (my age out year or so).....he's already aged-out.

We took a "3 generations" picture last year at finals of Matthew, Scott and me. Pretty cool! I realized this year that we should get Sal in the picture too and then we'd have 4 generations, as Sal taught all three of us as well.

It is fun though........the current kids get a kick out of hearing stories about what things were like in the "old days" and comparing notes on how things are the same or different. One of the best was telling them about an infamous day in Erie, PA in 1986. A wonderfully generous man had catered a fantastic dinner for our whole corps and we were all so excited to eat that night. As we were in line, Scott came in and told the guard that we couldn't eat the brownies that had been made for dessert. Of course, those of us who were smart ate that part first........I mean, at that point there wasn't much he could do, huh?

Anyway, so now, not only do his current kids know about that day, but they also get homemade goodies every time I see them. The first time I brought them I told Scott that even 20 years ago I knew I'd get revenge, and it just took me this long to actually follow through!

Edited by justgin

Wayne told me he started feeling old when kids of kids he taught or marched with were trying out for the corps.

I remember being astonished when some kid who was in the C corps since he was about 4 (my age out year or so).....he's already aged-out.

####....I remember when John Meehan was a little dude....NOW look at him!

Where did the time go???? (probably the same place as my hair)

And yeah...the knowledge that the ageouts this year were either not born yet or crapping their diapers when I marched is just tooo much to bear!!

I marched in 92 and the some of the seniors in our local HS band went to Murfreesboro last Sat. They found me during the intermission and asked me if I still remembered marching "way back then".

I was on my way to catch PR under the stadium to do the post show "SUTA" with them and two of those kids saw-- and heard-- me bellow out that old battle cry and later said to me, "We think you DO remember."

You get the same feeling when your child marches <_<

and when I watch them rehearse on those 100 degree days I think 'oh man, how in the world did I do that?'