Is the DCI 2005 Champion a foregone conclusion?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kidding me, right?

You don't need to "tic the execution" to know a book is hard.  There are lots of factors to consider.

As an example...I can tell that the Hindemith symphony is harder than, say, the Bilik symphony because of variety, technical passages, lyrical passages requiring great balance and blend, tessitura difficulties...I don't need to "tic the execution" to know that.

What you are talking about could be more akin to this: Take the Frank Erickson "Air for Band" and give it to two bands, one a college group, the other a middle school group.  Obviously, the middle school group is going to have a lot more problems with it than the college group...but does that really mean it's a difficult piece of music (it's not, by the way...unless, i guess, you're a middle school band  :P ).

I'm talking about absolute difficulty, which is one concept, and I think you are talking about relative difficulty, which is another concept, and just as valid.  But I don't think it applies in this case, because both Regiment and Madison are world-class corps.

And obviously, I am biased in favour of Regiment, but I have been able to call a spade a spade with them in the past...for example, take some of the years I marched:  Star played a much harder book than us in 1991, and we played a harder book than Cavaliers.  In 1992, Cadets had a harder book than us, but I think we had a harder book than Cavaliers.  In 1993, Star and Cadets both had a harder book than us, and in 1994, so did Cavaliers and Cadets.

(All opinion)

In 1975 Vanguards drum book was way harder than Madison's but who took high drums?

In 1975 Vanguards drum book was way harder than Madison's but who took high drums?

My friend, you are not making much sense. We are discussing difficulty, not performance of that difficulty.

If you say that SCV's drum book was harder than Madison's, I'll take your word for it....and as such, what the heck does it matter who won high drums?

We are not talking about validating a brass or percussion book's difficulty through numbers, we are talking about the difficulty alone.

And I am afraid we are not on the same page.

Clean is beautiful

Here Here...I wish execution was more of a watch word today. To me, if it isn't clean, you didn't do it. At the same rate, I'd hate to see designers chicken out on taking a risk with something challenging for fear of getting beaten down by the tic. It's a balancing act for sure.

In my opinion, most of time the same champion would be crowned whether you judged with the tick system or the subjective system.  The top corps are the cleanest, no matter how they are judged.

What he said.

And one of the reasons is the change in the distribution of talent since the 70s. It used to be that talent was more equally distributed among the corps. Recently, talent (and maturity) migrated generally to the elite corps, creating disparities in peformance levels that tics would not undo.

I'd suggest that the changes in results order that the tic system may have caused in the early 70s (even presuming every tic had "scientific" accuracy) wouldn't be apparent in the 00s because shift in talent has reduced that potential variable to the point of irrelevance.

HH

What he said.

And one of the reasons is the change in the distribution of talent since the 70s. It used to be that talent was more equally distributed among the corps. Recently, talent (and maturity) migrated generally to the elite corps, creating disparities in peformance levels that tics would not undo.

I'd suggest that the changes in results order that the tic system may have caused in the early 70s (even presuming every tic had "scientific" accuracy) wouldn't be apparent in the 00s because shift in talent has reduced that potential variable to the point of irrelevance.

HH

Ok so then if thats true whats the point of judging? Lets just have the crowd choose kinda like American Idol! <**>

Back to the original question:

I don't perceive the 2005 Champion as a foregone conclusion. I honestly beleive it is still a four (maybe five) corps race at this point. Perhaps Allentown results will alter my opinion, but for now - my, perhaps unpopular, opinion is that the outcome is wide open!

First...welcome back to the activity!

Second, how could anyone even suggest that the championship is the Cadets' to lose?  They've only beat the Cavies ONCE this season and by an ultra thin margin.

I'd say it's either the Cadets OR the Cavies to lose.  That seems to be a lock, but who knows?

I personally don't believe that it is for anyone to lose. No one has lost anything. No one has performed at finals this year. It is only for those corps to go after and win. Besides, i would not count out Phantom Regiment yet. When they tied, yah I had to bring that up, they were 4 points or so behind BD 2 weeks before finals. Look at Cadets 1993. Everyone thought they would not pull it off and they flexed some muscle the last week and a half and made it happen. It is all in the timing of peaking and when everything clicks together emotionally for the members in performing their show.