Winston Salem from the press box

as far as watching a show, the stadium was great. sight lines were great, sound carried well...in fact basses REALLY carried well.

Heatwave:

1st view. really small hornline. In fact, the percussion overpowered them from the get go. this stadium really projects percussion well. The opening hit of Floyd didnt register w/me, but the transition into kentons Adventures in Time worked well from a musical/visual segmentation standpoint. this led to a block push that showed a strong percussion book that was also played well. the next tune ( 3x3x2 etc) featured some nice 4 mallet work on the vibe and a really well played perdc book. visually the horns worked into an arc behind the percussion, and again, looking at the numbers, the brass was overpowered from up top.

the mello soloist from backfield was well done this led to another drum break with lots of split parts, tho the brass re-rentry was shaky. also form readability was tough due to the hole. also noticed some guard work not done.

The use of the bells was nice and i liked the guards white flags. the block push in the ballad hit was done nicely.

the Time Warp was fun. the corps starts off playing it, charges the sidelines, dropped their horns and did the famous dance led by Vic. then they get back into it and end the show up front.

a fun show, tho the horn holes were a killer. if everyone is there, this should WILL turn heads. i really liked the percussion section. Very well performed.

Carolina Gold.

holy drumline starts the show on a mission. they dominate side 1 while the brass marches their ##### off on side 2. the rifles were up front and the flags were in the back. brass entry seemed a touch tentative, but the pit break helped get the focus back and got the guard actively involved.

the trade offs between Summertime and Fascinating Rhythm were nicely arranged. the perc solo into the sop solo was a great trasnition and performed well leading into the standstill hit. the big bluesy section of summertime came across well and the corps handled the tempo change into the end well also.

Caravan opens strongly w/the brass on side one...the guard was using highway signs that confused me some, but after another viewing may make sense.

that sop soloist is a gas. can Westshore Alumni borrow him again?:P

i liked the brass/perc trade offs. cool idea. another perc feature led to a big hit and the guard had a cool catch after the release...very eye catching.

Autumn lEaves. pit starts it off then the brass joins in, with the guard on dance and body stuff. when the battery comes in they add a nice bossa nova feel.....a cool groove. at the hit the guard was well staged for the swing flags. as the hit fades out the brass is in an arc, and the guard is in a reverse arc that dissaptes as it fades out....nice idea. as the song ended we had a guard duet hugging for a nice visual effect.

a sop/bari duet facing backfield began Rememberance, IMO, the piece the corps played best. the pit scoring here was luscious. the corps milked the musical builds in this song so well, and the percussiuon had a great feel here. at the big hit the brass stodd still, and the visual focus was on two sets of rifle sections that merged into one...a nice idea that looked great upstairs.

if this corps played the whole show like Rememberance, the Hurcs have to be concerned about that last finlaist spot. Gold has their best corps ever, and with another few reads to go, they can turn things up a notch. I was truly impressed.

Hurcs.....i see the improvement weekly...since i seem to be seeing them weekly :P

opening statement best yet, especailly in the upper voices. low brass added nice punch as well. as sections were performing well to the tempo change.

the perc break was handled well, but the guard seemed to have some issues here, tho i liked the flags...they matched the uniforms. the brass re-entry was the best yet. the brass also handled the spread that dissolved into a block well especially with the holes..

but the holes also led to some form readability issues, as well as some volume issues.

the sop bari duet into Frankie Machine seemed on tonight...the brass back and forth with the drums also felt more secure. percussion staging leading to the break is telegraphed yet not in a way that makes you say "hello, i saw that coming". tenors nailed their fature, snares also slayed me w/the split roll, tho they lost it on the shots. brass renenrty here also best to date.

i like the ballad more and more every time i see it, especially the mello soloist. the sabres up front also did a nice job. i loved the guards carolina blue flags...nice visual moment. also the staging as the block slides right and opens up side 1 for the guard is a great effect upstairs.

National geogrpahic had some issues early but the corps recovered ok, and the 1/2 time marching looked it's best yet.

from the perc break out the Hurcs seemed their most confident, tho tired. the Mag & ending will keep long time fans happy, yet won't seem like overdone Mag 7 stuff people make fun off. a nice freah approach to a great tradition.

they need to fill the holes in...either with rewrites or bodies. that will add a lot. Carolina is on their tail and the fight for 10th will be a hot one.

the show a lot of people, myself included came to see. the Renegades.

if you liked 03 and 04, you'll love 05.

the corps starts out in an arc on side 2, with the guard coupled and trioed on side 1. chimes and legos (yes!) start the show off, then a mello solist comes in facing the opposite end zone. the low brass layered in here very well. while the brass and percussion do not move, the guard is doing body and swing stuff on side 1 you cant help but notice. when the big hit arrives, ladies and gentlemen this guard steals the show. visually, they make the musical portion that much more expressive. so very well done here. as the hit ends the corps backs away from the quartet in a nice effect. the battery sets the change for Ascension( cool tune ED). the corps does a company front push that dissolves into a block and lets their real power shine thru. ok, i'm hooked.

ya also gotta love the way they get the white overlays off. very cool idea. i wont spoil it, come see it yourself.

Niner two shows off a vastly improved percussion section. ( note. i know the judges. i respect their opinions. but...what the #### were they watching???? this drumline had issues yes...everyone did...but they were good!)

nice touch w/the Matrix lead in bass feature to set the stage for Open Wide. the sops of course had notes way up there, and thius also featured the most aggressive drill the corps has had to date. i love the build to the end which ends w/one sop playing so high up dogs in Chapel Hill heard him. guard very active on sabres and blue flags here.

Nights in White Satin starts off with a nice sop solo, and the visual shows staggered entrances...as that voice begins to play, they begin to move. the guard on the big white flags works incredibly well against the corps uniforms.

you wanna hear a mello player go for the kill? Listen to Chris Nalls as they kick into La Villa. long trilled note way, way way up there. hello, remember, best soloist doesnt have to be a sop player....and he's a contender.

the drumline contra trade offs are classic. i caught the flam drag. battery plays their ##### off here, with backsticking and flams for all. as the brass comes in, the megaphones appear again for another nice effect. the snares seemed to be dirty on the toms rack rolled out to them, but the basses did a great job with the drums off up front. this built to a huge standstill big all out ending.

top 6 all the way. it's a dogfight in there, and they can bump people off. while not as deafening as past years, the brass makes up in quality to what they had in volume. percussion vastly improved and the guard is, IMO under rated.

i loved the nice touches to past shows tying the whole trilogy toegther.

2-6 is gonna be a fight, and the Left Coast is definitely in the mix.

Bush came to play. the opening hits of Russlon by far the best yet.

percussion people please note. a piece of plexiglass can do wonders for pit sound projection. it's also a helluva lot cheaper than amps. for an example of what to do, see Bush. In fact, the whole Russlon start to the show took no prisoners. Percussion also played really, really well. the segue into Dance of the Buffoons went well, and the perc break was exquisite. the backfield playing was done well, and the tease of turning around worked well upstairs. guard quite active here on sabres and flags.

when they turned around for the Dance push that led to the Russlon restatement i felt the brass get a bit tired, but the guard was on for their moments. the company front push really came off well.

the sop intro with the vocals beginning 1812 carried really well upstairs as did the pit. the guard duets were very expressive.the pit feature into Romeo worked very very well. the guards dance was well integrated.

i loved the musical tension expressed building to the hit. the perc scoring worked well and the yello/orange flags in the guard work great against the unis. the sop duet leading back out w/vocals worked well upstairs.

loved the red flags into the March Slav intro. once again the corps does backfield so well...especially the perc scoring. loved the high brass vs low brass staging for the dance section. the accell seemed on and the guards silent moment worked well into the push. the many small count sets the brass has here were not affecting the musical which is good. musically the corps was strong to the end, but being up front so much visually leaves me flat, especially from upstairs. I am sure changes are in the works, but if things were opened up, allowing things to look like they are moving more( and i know they are haluing, but being so compact it comes off as stunted) this ending will rock.

strong show overall, tho at times, it did seem a touch flat. ending drill is my biggest concern now. pit...now that you have plexiglass...wow. huge wow. drumline well done overall.

CV:

toms start the show off w/a note fest that was handled ok...some issues there. maybe it's those drums...to me i couldnt get mch oif a difference in tuning from drum to drum. the corps condenses into a block facing backfield, turning front for the hit in Open Wide....nice effect, especially the rifle toss at the end. in the syncopated section the ensemble timing was especially well done..not an easy section there. also liked the mellos feature. the big push where the corps moves away at first then slides right and comes forward looked great. strong percussion writing...most aggressive ever.

Strawberry Soup. it's tough not to be biased having played it twice. the pit starts it off very nicely...a unique and effective idea. loved the guards purple/blue/orange swing flags. nice staging for the guard with the brass in an arc behind them, then the corps faces backfield setting up that famous sop solo leading to the tempo change. ahhh Hunter. Madison would have loved to have had you. the expected mello solo set the mood for the uptempo section and had us in that loveable 9/4 rhythm. the corps handled it pretty well, and really did a nice job on the swing section.

in the drum break the brass held purple panels...they were kinda lost on me but when the flipped em to show a mirror like panel and made them reflect the lights it was very cool. the drum line played for keeps here w/a one stick roll and drums to cymbals work.

after the brass re entry the sops came out...shades of Madison. the push that followed lost some steam but recovered at the guards silent moment. the open wide restatement made for a nice ending.

to me CV seemed hot and cold. some sections spit fire, some breathed steam, some didnt seem to carry well. if they can even it out and throw down a top to bottom performance, they can scare the corps ahead if them. perc performance improved, but overhype was an issue esp at the end.

Bucs. one issue the whole show that said to me "fix this and watch the score break 90 and more"

Farandole seemed faster from the get go. brass really stong here and perc kept the pace up. cymbals yet again the show here. the perc break was dead on and the brass layering behind them worked really well upstairs.

the 3/2 feel really came thru tonight....well done. the pits 16th runs into the hit really carried upstairs...why in the #### do people need amps? they carry folks and they arent beating the #### out of the equipment.

the layering leading up to the silent guard moment really worked well, and the guard was on. only scary moment..battery and brtass didnt line up well leading into tthe final charge...some real ensemble tension. if that hadnt happened, hello 90.

Adagio. ok, here's the tes...big big stadium. pit intro very well done...low brass on side 2 handled well, and the sops on side 1 also carried well. the guards curved poles w/purple flags looked great upstairs.

visually the brass condenses onto side 2 for the hit while the guard takes over side 1...pits 4 mallet work very well done.

the hit? oh yeah. oh #### yeah. goosebump city. i dont care what the #### key those horns are in, Christine and I both looked at each other, pointed to our arms and smiled. they nailed it.

in Prayers of the word I cant spell" the percussion was on fire. i mean finals level fire. brass here did better than last week in keeping up the intensity. best this song came across yet.

YPG.....wow that low brass was on. the tempo change was smooth...and the snare running around into the relase is a cool visual moment that works up stairs.

the pit is featured then the brass is back in leading to the perc break. again wow. 9.5 9.5 for sure. when the multi meter kicks in i noticed the high brass giving way to the keys to carry that line. it works, but it loses impact upstairs. the build to the company front worked well upstairs and broke apart into...gasp...was that a zpull? looked like it.

minus the issue at the end of the opener, by far the show they needed to throw down. this corps is solid. no weakness. upstairs the drill is great to watch, and you see what you hear...no real moments of "why is that there?"

Bucs...game on. don't let the two weeks off hold you back.

there ya go. last review til after finals. I look forward to seeing you all in a month

If you like Gold's soloist, check out East Coast Jazz last season. He was their soloist. His name is Jon. There's a Westshore alum in the sop section. They both played in a concert up north with a lot of other Westshore Alums this past spring i believe

sop solo leading to the tempo change. ahhh Hunter.

Hunter has always been and will always be "the man"; however, that solo isn't Hunter.

The greatest thing about Hunter is his "lack of ego". Unlike many corps, where you see the same sop soloist year after year, playing every solo, Hunter will let other people share the spotlight.

Thanks for the review of the show! :)

Awesome review Jeff!! :)

If you like Gold's soloist, check out East Coast Jazz last season.  He was their soloist.  His name is Jon.  There's a Westshore alum in the sop section.  They both played in a concert up north with a lot of other Westshore Alums this past spring i believe

yeah i know whoya mean. good kid. however i dont go see DCI so i'll have to wait til january to see him again :P

Hunter has always been and will always be "the man"; however, that solo isn't Hunter.

The greatest thing about Hunter is his "lack of ego". Unlike many corps, where you see the same sop soloist year after year, playing every solo, Hunter will let other people share the spotlight.

Thanks for the review of the show! :)

wow coulda swore that was him...even looked like him.

see what i get for having drill seats? :P