Corps Behavior Revisited

We were lucky enough to enjoy the 2/3 show in Manchester last night. Thank you to all of the Corps. My daughter is a guard member on one of the Corps that was there last night (son is on hornline, but this was relayed from my daughter). After her Corps left the field last night and got back to the parking lot, they were approached by some (all?) members of the OC guard (loved the show!) and were told to put down their equipment. What OC was doing was taking care of Guards that performed after them, and giving them the oppurtunity to change and eat sooner. My daughter's guard got a confirming nod from their staff and put down their equipment and hit the bus to change. They came off the bus to find flags and scarves rolled and folded with greater care than even they often show. I believe it was Old Guard that referred to "Corpsmanship". I hope he reads this and is happy to know that it is alive and well. To OC's members, staff and parents well done. You should all be proud. This is Corps Behavior, and this is what we should talk more about.

We were lucky enough to enjoy the 2/3 show in Manchester last night.  Thank you to all of the Corps.  My daughter is a guard member on one of the Corps that was there last night (son is on hornline, but this was relayed from my daughter).  After her Corps left the field last night and got back to the parking lot, they were approached by some (all?) members of the OC guard (loved the show!) and were told to put down their equipment.  What OC was doing was taking care of Guards that performed after them, and giving them the oppurtunity to change and eat sooner.  My daughter's guard got a confirming nod from their staff and put down their equipment and hit the bus to change.  They came off the bus to find flags and scarves rolled and folded with greater care than even they often show.  I believe it was Old Guard that referred to "Corpsmanship".  I hope he reads this and is happy to know that it is alive and well.  To OC's members, staff and parents well done.  You should all be proud.  This is Corps Behavior, and this is what we should talk more about.

as someone with no connection to OC....I am proud of those kids and am glad they are representing themselves and drumcorps this way.

.....bravo

I believe it was Old Guard that referred to "Corpsmanship".  I hope he reads this and is happy to know that it is alive and well.  To OC's members, staff and parents well done.  You should all be proud.  This is Corps Behavior, and this is what we should talk more about.

Thanks for this post, DCI Dadx2. It does indeed make me smile.

I read the original Corps Behavior thread with concern. I did not comment there because Spartans DC Dad said everything that needed to be said in a manner that showed the true depth of his corps' dedication and commitment to corpsmanship in everything that they do.

I have seen a few moments of good corpsmanship myself this past weekend and I would like to share a couple ...

In Bridgeport, CT, there as a huge display between two corps who were apparently sharing housing for the event. As Impulse took the field, a great cheer went up from the members of Taipei Yuehfu who were in the stands showing support for their new friends. For a moment these kids from different countries called and waved back and forth to each other. That was a good moment.

Also in Bridgeport, near the end of the show during the wonderful exhibition by the alumni host corps, I watched a polite trio of young men from Revolution clap, cheer and call for an encore after Park City Pride's drum solo. It was a small but very real tribute from the new to the old guard.

Sometimes these moments are large, sometimes small, some are seen by others, some go unnoticed, and some exist only in our hearts, but all of them are what makes drum corps great.

I am just a member of the old guard.

"Corpsmanship begins and ends with what you think about yourself and others."

Edited by oldguard

Sometimes these moments are large, sometimes small, some are seen by others, some go unnoticed, and some exist only in our hearts, but all of them are what makes drum corps great.

I am just a member of the old guard.

oldguard, you need to post on here more. If you care to review any more of the shows you've attended, I bet it would make at least a hundred corps moms and dads smile. Everything you post on here is heartwarming; please share your thoughts more often, and don't let the curmudgeons get to you!