Quarterfinals Performance Order

<snip>

As for Santa Clara Vanguard, I can't believe they're seeded 10th.  Is their show really THAT BAD in terms of GE and execution?!

<snip>

I think it's an interesting commentary on the state of the drum corps activity that a portion of the fan base has come to the point where they think 10th best in the world is a "bad thing." :worthy:

This is not a criticism or a judgment - just an observation.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My frustration is that the cinecast was the only chance for my son's grandparents to see Southwind's show this season.  It doesn't seem fair that corps that they have been beating are going on after them because Southwind has performed more shows.  Maybe they need to take more than the last weeks scores into consideration.

Well then, looks like the grandparents are screwed. Either way they did it, SOMEONE was going to be unhappy. At least this year we can have comfort in knowing that the performance order is fair relative to competition level and that corps won't be forced to go on before the official start time and the anthem. That's a bit of an improvement over last year :)

Like I said earlier, I don't think the goals for ANY of the these corps was to make the cinecast. It was to hopefully make semis and then finals.

I can't speak for SW, but as for me, I'd rather make semis then worry about the cinecast.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that Southwind's goal was making the cinecast, or that they are even worried about it. I was speaking only of my own feelings on the matter.

I'm going because I want to see all the corps that will be televised, not just one.

But for a grandparent who doesn't even know what drum corps is, their only reason for going is seeing their grandchild's corps and they probably will not want to even stay for the rest of the show.

But you are right, they never did advertise it as 'top 17 only'. I gave my family that info based on what I had heard happened last year. My mistake. :worthy:

Okay Mandarins and Southwind have been head-to-head twice this season at San Antonio and at Indianapolis. Mandarins won at SA by 1.88 Southwind won at Indianapolis by 1.06. So head to head would really put Mandarins ahead too. Oh and if we went by head to head then Mandarins and Cap Reg have faced off for times and each has won 2 times, Mandarins have gone head to head with 'Scades 4 times and won all 4 of those. So if you want to complain that it should be based on head to head it seems to me that the Mandarins would still have every right to be on the cinecast and this is coming from someone who had the pleasure of having Mike L for a visual designer and instructor four years in a row and definitely has a positive bias towards his corps as a result.

But you are right, they never did advertise it as 'top 17 only'.  I gave my family that info based on what I had heard happened last year.  My mistake.  :worthy:

Heh... no worries.

And I'd tell the grandparents to go anyway, if anything, just so they can see who their grandchild(ren) have been competing with and what all is involved. I've also heard that they show clips of the other corps so they'd at least get that.

You never know, you just may get 'em hooked! Then you're on your own. :)

But that's what you're saying. These corps would rather be shown live rather then going on to semis.

I do agree that they all should be shown, but who knows? Maybe the powers that be would like to do that in the future and are waiting to see if the attendence this year surpasses last year's attendence.

I bet the Southwind kids want their show seen by friends & family that couldn't make the show. They also probably felt they earned the right to the cinecast.

If you're a fan of the Mandarins, then I understand your happiness. You should understand the Southwind supporters frustration though.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that Southwind's goal was making the cinecast, or that they are even worried about it.  I was speaking only of my own feelings on the matter.

But for a grandparent who doesn't even know what drum corps is, their only reason for going is seeing their grandchild's corps and they probably will not want to even stay for the rest of the show.

But you are right, they never did advertise it as 'top 17 only'.  I gave my family that info based on what I had heard happened last year.  My mistake.  :worthy:

They did advertise as the top 17.DCI Picture

The small print says come experience the power, passion and the precision of the world's top 17 drum and bugle corps.

Edited by mwetzel1

What I think might hurt them is that there is a 45 minute intermission after them and the judges might forget how well they nailed their show if mandarins come out and are good.

I agree. The judges will get to see Mandarins, Seattle and Capital Regiment together and will compare them. Southwind will be gone from their thoughts. They'll be extremely lucky to make semi's because of the this placement. It's to bad a good show and year can get hurt by something like this.