Where Do We Go From Here?

DCI is dead. 

Long live DCA!!!!! 

Hmmmmm...I went to an All Age Corp event this summer, the first show I've been to in over 25 years. It was a gas. I haven't seen the finals broadcast yet, so I can't weigh in on the amps/props/dancing thing yet.

I think I watched a tape of the finals in 1992, and the whole dancing guard thing wasn't working for me then.

Remeber when guards marched and spun, and if you played it, you carried it? Was it really that long ago?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm...I went to an All Age Corp event this summer, the first show I've been to in over 25 years.  It was a gas.  I haven't seen the finals broadcast yet, so I can't weigh in on the amps/props/dancing thing yet. 

I think I watched a tape of the finals in 1992, and the whole dancing guard thing wasn't working for me then.

Remeber when guards marched and spun, and if you played it, you carried it?  Was it really that long ago?

Not only do I remember when guards marched and spun, I actually did it too ... and apparently at the same time as you ^0^ --- and now I do it the new way and love it just as much. Old dogs really can learn new tricks.

Come to DCA, you'll have a great time. Ignore the dancing and let the horn and drum lines blow your face off -- and they really will.

Come to DCA, you'll have a great time.  Ignore the dancing and let the horn and drum lines blow your face off -- and they really will.

It was a DCA show in Hastings, Minnesota. MN Brass, Governaires, Kilts (they had a lot of dudes that looked my age, very cool), RoyalAires (way old school), and the Racine Scouts (nice to see them still going, although they were so few in numbers).

I had a lot of fun. I'm just not used to all the crap on the sidelines. It doesn't look as clean to me, however, I have no frame of reference to all of the changes that seem to have taken place. At some point is there no longer a big difference between Drum and Bugle Corps and drum corps style bands?

I'm sure the scoring must be different now too (stop time, motion time, ticks, etc.) The shows seemed shorter than when I marched, I'm not sure of the time limit these days.

I will certainly go to more shows in Minnesota next year, it's only been 30 years.

BTW Jojo, I see you marched with SCV in my era. I always loved your guard :blink: and drumline. :ph34r:

I'm just not used to all the crap on the sidelines. 

BTW Jojo, I see you marched with SCV in my era.  I always loved your guard  :blink: and drumline.    :ph34r:

Yeah, it does look a little like a garage sale and the whole thing takes some getting used to ... took me awhile to adjust too.

Thanks for the props -- I loved Madison's hornline in 75 -- it was a race to the finish wasn't it.

Edited by jojo

The best sideline garage sale out there belongs to The Renegades. First time I got to see them live was at BD "Before Europe" gig in mid June, pictures do not do it/them justice....much more than just eye candy! I was visually AND musically entertained.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Thanks for the props -- I loved Madison's hornline in 75 -- it was a race to the finish wasn't it.

I think starting with CYO, with all of the big guns together for the first time, it started to get tight.

You're right about that Jim Elvord horn line, they amazed us every day at practice.

The demise of regional circuits signaled the demise of drum corps. If your corps could only afford to perform within 500 miles of home, then so be it. If you could afford to take the bigger tours, then go for it.

Perhaps regionals with a qualifiers would work. The top three corps from an early to mid season regional would qualify to go to the second season major contests, with some support coming from the regions for the trip.

The demise of regional circuits signaled the demise of drum corps. If your corps could only afford to perform within 500 miles of home, then so be it. If you could afford to take the bigger tours, then go for it.

Perhaps regionals with a qualifiers would work. The top three corps from an early to mid season regional would qualify to go to the second season major contests, with some support coming from the regions for the trip.

I've been saying that for a few years now, here and at RAMD...is that still around?

Yep- same here!

When I marched, even though I listened to Senior corps, I always thought of them as somehow "inferior" to the juniors.

ATTN DCA and all seniors-

I now take back every bad comment I may have made back when I thought I knew everything!I wholeheartedly apologiize for all negativity I may have spread.

You can count on me being another fan in the stands next season!!

See ya next year!

(just try to have a show or two close to where I live OK? :P )

I hear you! I seem to remember a time when the senior corps were looked at as inferior, and old. Funny thing, 25 years later we don't seem so old. :P Come check us out. I think you'll find out some of us "Olde Pharts" can still play!

If you dont think DCA is the savior of drum corps, ask yourself: "How many corps were there when I last marched at nationals?"