Grand Champions!

I was proud of both Corps yesterday when the two drumlines integrated at retreat, and waited for the scores.  Both Corps showed they understand winning and failing to win (neither Corps lost either show) with grace.  I still think that this is a mess that DCI will have to get a handle on for future seasons, but if it had to happen to two Corps, I credit them both for handling it well.

I too, as member of the instructional staff of ECJ, was impressed by the demonstration of sportsmanship throughout the week by both the Spartans and East Coast Jazz. I have long believed that healthy competition breeds excellence with everyone a winner, including the audiences that view the performances. Both corps were a positive study in leaving the competitive aspect of the activity to the confines of the the football field.

The members of ECJ's percussion section were genuinely moved by Chris Dufault and the Spartans percussion staff applauding them as they trooped out of the stadium on Thursday evening. As I said to them, the highest form of flattery is recognition received from your competitors. Following Saturday's contest, Chris' offer of congratulations meant much to me. Having taught Chris back in the day with the 27th Lancers I am not surprised as he has always been an individual of the highest personal standards.

As a member of the DCI Hall of Fame, I had the priviledge to participate in the age out ceremony on Friday evening. I made a point to seek out the Spartan graduates to present their pins and to thank them for being such worthy competitors. As I said to them, their perseverance and excellence raised the standards for both corps.

It is rare that two drum corps have been so evenly matched over a two year period. Every show during for the past two seasons has had a championship contest quality with the victor being the one who brought the most on a given evening. The members of the Spartans and East Coast Jazz brought nothing but honor to themselves, their organizations and the activity by their efforts both on and off the field. It was indeed an pleasure to be an intrgal part of a wonderful week.

Charley Poole

East Coast Jazz

Percussion Arranger and Caption Head

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREAT post Charley, Thank you. Chris is an excellent example of an exceptional instructor. My son has grown into manhood under his influenence for the past 4 years. I thanked him in Brockton for all he's done for my son as well as other kids. I'm so happy that he's involved in Drum Corps. I also thought I'd throw in a great example of how classy these kids are.

Check it out.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a53/ibowker/...nt=IMG_2878.jpg

I must say, it felt kind of weird in Foxboro wearing a silver medal around my neck while one of my best friends in drum corps who marches Spartans had a gold. All in all, it's all ok. Congrats to the Spartans for another interesting season much like last year. The Format DCI has is odd and none of us understand it, and when i say us I mean everyone who marches that i've talked to. Hopefully they'll rethink for next year.

Spartans and East Coast Jazz are two of the class acts of the drum corps activity.  I'm really looking forward to the DVDs this year since I wasn't able to see any Division II/III performances.

I'm sorry, i know people in both the Spartans and ECJ, but i don't agree with you calling them class acts, when at Finals (thursday) members of both their staffs were having a screaming match about judging on the track, very close to the 50, infront of all the fans at the show. YOu don't do that... and it really reflects badly on both corps.

Edited by bdrummergal16

Then I guess you don't know the 2 staff that well at all...many shared friendships and repect amongst both instructional staffs. There was no screaming match about scoring at all, I was there.

Fred Ford

ECJ

I'm sorry, i know people in both the Spartans and ECJ, but i don't agree with you calling them class acts, when at Finals (thursday) members of both their staffs were having a screaming match about judging on the track, very close to the 50, infront of all the fans at the show. YOu don't do that... and it really reflects badly on both corps.

Then I guess you don't know the 2 staff that well at all...many shared friendships and repect amongst both instructional staffs. There was no screaming match about scoring at all, I was there.

Fred Ford

ECJ

Seems like all of the drama concerning the Titles is coming from outside of the members, families and fanbase of these two Corps.

I sat at the 50 myself, and then made my way down to congratulate my kids and the Spartans staff I ran across (most of them). I didn't see this episode either. What we do have though is photographic proof of the sportsmanship of these two Corps. How many posts is a picture worth?

Both Corps conducted themselves like any Corps should (as ALL did that night).

Why did DCI go to this format anyway?  What was wrong with Quarters, Semis, and Finals?

"DCI" didn't change the format. The directors of the corps of Divisions II and III did.

The rationale: the majority of the corps in attendance at our meeting last year were in favor or more "finalists" going home with medals. Although not ideal, confusing and difficult to market, that end goal was achieved. Ironically, when we talked through -- at length -- the distinct possibility of two different "champions" during our "what-if?" scenarios, we unknowingly foreshadowed the exact outcome of the season for ECJ and Spartans.

The bottom line: the "last corps standing" on Saturday afternoon is the world champion. Will it change for 2006? That will depend on the democratic process, I suppose. The DCI office does not dictate to us what we must do, but rather, asks us what we want to do.

Running the Division II and III championships during the first part of the week addresses several challenges while creating several others. Personally, I like having all of the Drum Corps International Champions crowned on the same day. Similar to the staging of the Olympic Games, simultaneous events are certainly a logistical challenge... hopefully, with all of us having the opportunity to perform on the hallowed ground of Camp Randall next year, we'll be able to create a less confusing situation and a great experience for everyone. Then we'll probably need to go back to the proverbial drawing board for 2007.

If you have suggestions you'd like me to compile and take forward to the next meeting, I'd be happy to do so. Feel free to e-mail me at bobj@jerseysurf.org.

Ok, both groups were amazing and did fantastic jobs on the field and off.. however, one thing I was wondering is with this new format, they split the medal, trophy and flag, (I know this is mostly inconsequential) but who gets the ring?

Next, so who is the D2 Champ. ECJ or Spartans, who came up with this idea? Spartans are wearing the Gold, But ECJ has the flag and Trophy|...

and the ring cough cough

Ok, both groups were amazing and did fantastic jobs on the field and off.. however, one thing I was wondering is with this new format, they split the medal, trophy and flag, (I know this is mostly inconsequential) but who gets the ring?

I think it comes down to that NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE! Actually, I think it comes down to, "Why can't we all be winners?" The answer is, "We can't". What is the point of having a competition with no clear winner. It is just confusing and doesn't make any sense. If you want everybody to be winners (and treat them like they are in kindergarten), you might as well have every corps have their own personal finals and each of them can take home a gold star to put on their refridgerators.

Rich C.