Grand Champions!

(From DCI.org a while back)

“We're continuing to fine-tune this format," said Division II & III advisory committee chairman George Brown, "to clear up some of the confusion that surfaced last summer and to continue to refine our championship week event schedule. Our intent is to create as many performance opportunities as possible for our corps, and to showcase the very best performances in these two highly competitive divisions," Brown added

The only reason why there is confusion right now is because MEDALS and TITLES were awarded on Thursday. If they wanted to create more perfomance opportunities, why not take the top scoring corps from each division (don't need a ceremony) and leave the rest for Saturday.

I agree its ridiculous that the Division II World Champions have silver around their necks, and that the Spartans wearing gold have to say "ya, but we didn't really win." I say the corps should swap medals and forget that Thursday's awards happened. That would get rid of all questions. I'm sure anyone could have told the "powers that be" that something was going to flip flop on that last day...did they honestly NOT see this coming?

Asside from the issues I have with the format, I would like to extend congradulations to all the corps from the east (all division sweep, btw) and the Division II Divisional Champions (is that right?)!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know who is making the rings this year? I want to seee what it is going to look like

Great season!

DCI stopped being invovled a while ago (not sure which year...99 perhaps?) They give the rights to a company that the corps goes through, like Jostens. I'm pretty sure your corps Director gets to choose what they look like. Who knows, maybe he's open to suggestions, go on jostens.org and pick out a cool design and drop an email, heh.

(From DCI.org a while back)

The only reason why there is confusion right now is because MEDALS and TITLES were awarded on Thursday.  If they wanted to create more perfomance opportunities, why not take the top scoring corps from each division (don't need a ceremony) and leave the rest for Saturday.

I agree its ridiculous that the Division II World Champions have silver around their necks, and that the Spartans wearing gold have to say "ya, but we didn't really win."  I say the corps should swap medals and forget that Thursday's awards happened.  That would get rid of all questions.  I'm sure anyone could have told the "powers that be" that something was going to flip flop on that last day...did they honestly NOT see this coming?

Asside from the issues I have with the format, I would like to extend congradulations to all the corps from the east (all division sweep, btw) and the Division II Divisional Champions (is that right?)!

Is this a confusing mess? Absolutely. Did ECJ win the World Championship? Yes, all congratulations to them (took a picture of the integrated drumline at retreat, much class shown). Swap medals? Why? Everyone knew what was at stake on Thursday night, and Spartans won. Just as everyone knew what was at stake on Saturday and ECJ won. This year DCI gets a mess. Hopefully, that'll be the catalyst to get it fixed before next year.

Is this a confusing mess?  Absolutely.  Did ECJ win the World Championship?  Yes, all congratulations to them (took a picture of the integrated drumline at retreat, much class shown).  Swap medals?  Why?  Everyone knew what was at stake on Thursday night, and Spartans won.  Just as everyone knew what was at stake on Saturday and ECJ won.  This year DCI gets a mess.  Hopefully, that'll be the catalyst to get it fixed before next year.

The corps and the kids knew the set up and that on Thrusday the competition was for the gold medal and captions awards. The Spartans had the best show that night and received the gold. East Coast Jazz put on a great show on Saturday and won the DCI Wrold Trophy and flag. Fair is fair and both corp are winners as they should be. Great job done by all the corps this year.

The corps  and the kids knew the set up and that on Thrusday the competition was for the gold medal and captions awards. The Spartans had the best show that night and received the gold. East Coast Jazz put on a great show on Saturday and won the DCI Wrold Trophy and flag.  Fair is fair and both corp are winners as they should be. Great job done by all the corps this year.

So when's the fight between ECJ and Spartans to unify the title? :P

Seriously, if DCI's not careful, there's going to be the World title, the Division title, the Intercontinental title, the Tag Team title...

It'll be WWDCIE (or something like that). :D

So when's the fight between ECJ and Spartans to unify the title? :P

Seriously, if DCI's not careful, there's going to be the World title, the Division title, the Intercontinental title, the Tag Team title...

It'll be WWDCIE (or something like that). :D

I was proud of both Corps yesterday when the two drumlines integrated at retreat, and waited for the scores. Both Corps showed they understand winning and failing to win (neither Corps lost either show) with grace. I still think that this is a mess that DCI will have to get a handle on for future seasons, but if it had to happen to two Corps, I credit them both for handling it well.

I was proud of both Corps yesterday when the two drumlines integrated at retreat, and waited for the scores.  Both Corps showed they understand winning and failing to win (neither Corps lost either show) with grace.  I still think that this is a mess that DCI will have to get a handle on for future seasons, but if it had to happen to two Corps, I credit them both for handling it well.

Spartans and East Coast Jazz are two of the class acts of the drum corps activity. I'm really looking forward to the DVDs this year since I wasn't able to see any Division II/III performances.

Why did DCI go to this format anyway? What was wrong with Quarters, Semis, and Finals?

Anyways, congrats to ECJ and Spartans for putting out great shows. I never got a chance to watch their shows, but the APDs were great.

Congrats Blue Stars for climbing into the top 3 again.

-FCO-