Division 2/3 finals review

Foxboro2005044.jpg

Oops :worthy: :sshh:

(I'm getting some more pictures but I have to do photo shop work first) :)

Foxboro2005073.jpg

Edited by Lancerlady

Foxboro2005039.jpg

Memphis Sound

Hey, I see me! lol

Anyway, long time no talk Stephanie. AWESOME review! Thanks for taking the time to do it. I only wish more people shared your same enthusiasm for Div. II/III. I'm glad you liked the shows you saw, it was a hot and miserable day in Brockton but it sure was fun.

Yeah, what gets lost in the ideological debate over the amplification of the front ensemble - it's a major potential benefit to groups with limted membership and/or resources. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to provide a few microphones and pa/speaker system than to buy 2-3 more marimba & vibes, not to mention the larger truck to transport. Groups like Cap Sound were able to maximize the performance skills of a smaler section and kep wihin a reasonable budget.

Makes sense. And after checking out the Cap Sound front ensemble at the Belding, MI show, they certainly were wrth hearing. Good job staff & kids!

Fred Ford

East Coast Jazz

CAPITAL SOUND-Starts off with a big drum sound- I was disappointed that this corps decided to use amps. I was wondering what they were for, because they weren’t necessary really.

The amps thing was kinda controversial in the corps itself. Some people felt it was needed, others felt it wasnt. Most of the judges that saw us applauded us for it because it did bring out the pit sound.....(there were only 5 of them in a 57 member corps.

in the end the pit instructor had the call, and I feel he made a good one.

Respectfully

Lee Plummer

Steph! Great review, and thank you sooooooooo much for the pictures.

I appreciate Fred Ford's reasonable comments about amplification and the justification for it. Thank you.

The use of the amps in our show this year was because early on in the season we had a really good balance between field and frontline sound. But as the season progressed, so did the volume of the hornline and this caused the drumline to bring their volumes up as well, and thusly buried the frontline completely. There were a couple of times I turned to the pit instructor and said,"I used to like that lick there, did you take it out?" and the answer was no, it was still there, just inaudible. So, the decision to use the amps was the best for the corps. Without them we would have lost the sound of the awesome frontline we had this year! And we wouldn't want that :)

Chris Wendt

CS Visual Caption Head 2005

*edited for spelling and general stupidity in the use of the English language*

Edited by CSVisual

The use of the amps in our show this year was because early on in the season we had a really good balance between field and frontline sound.  But as the season progressed, so did the volume of the hornline and this caused the drumline to bring their volumes up as well, and thusly buried the frontline completely.  There were a couple of times I turned to the pit instructor and said,"I used to like that lick there, did you take it out?"  and the answer was no, it was still there, just inaudible.  So, the decision to use the amps was the best for the corps.  Without them we would have lost the sound of the awesome frontline we had this year!  And we wouldn't want that :)

Chris Wendt

CS Visual Caption Head 2005

*edited for spelling and general stupidity in the use of the English language*

I'm not "bagging" on y'all or anything just was wondering. I don't mind amps on the front line if they are used for just that. Anything else other then that for me...personally don't like ! :)

• 1 month later...

hey i was just reading the opening post in this thread. i marched allegiance elite's guard this summer and i believe the quote about the guard sitting out most of the time applies to the ballad/closer correct? well, the ballad was to emphasize the guard duet going on therefore having the rest of the guard filter in, and in the closer they wanted a sabre quartet (of which i was one) to lead into a rifleline to lead into the flagline. it was all done for effect.