cell phones on tour

Should corps members be allowed to have cell phones on tour?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Should corps members be allowed to have cell phones on tour?

• Yes.
    • Yes, but with many restrictions.
    • No.

I'm just curious about what the policy with different corps regarding cell phones on tour. Who allows them? Who doesn't? Of the corps that allow cell phones, what rules are there regarding them? I'm just wondering, because knowing how cell phones have changed our lives, I can imagine how it would change life on tour for drum corps. I'd like to hear from people from as many corps as possible, thanks!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think cell phones should definately be allowed. In 03 when I marched Crown, the only restrictions I knew of was you were not allowed to use the at rehearsal or while in uniform. There may of been more, who knows, but I think it is definately a good thing to have. They are alot cheaper than phone cards, and your family and friends can get ahold of you as well. I definately would have been alot more homesick and stressed out at the end of the summer without my ce.ll

We bought our daughter a cell phone just in time for her to go on tour so that she could easily get in touch with us. As the season began, I started to regret having done that. I missed my daughter a great deal, and I loved hearing from her, but she started the season off by calling us several times a day. When she woke up, before she went to bed, and any time she had a free moment. In other words, any time she had to socialize and get to know the other members she was talking to us instead. I finally told her that I did love to talk to her, but she needed to spend that time being a part of the corps and making friends. She began just calling us at night, then that became a phone call only on performance nights so I could listen to the scores with her and then she would go so that she could be a part of the activities on the bus.

And the less she called, the more I heard about the great friends she was making.

So although it is nice to have the luxury of being able to leave her voicemail or text messages, or have her call when she needs too without hunting for a payphone and standing in line (although we all survived it before cellphones :) ) I do think that cell phones, to a certain extent, hinder the bonding between members.

The Cavaliers aren't allowed to.

I think cell phones should definately be allowed.  In 03 when I marched Crown, the only restrictions I knew of was you were not allowed to use the at rehearsal or while in uniform.  There may of been more, who knows, but I think it is definately a good thing to have.  They are alot cheaper than phone cards, and your family and friends can get ahold of you as well.  I definately would have been alot more homesick and stressed out at the end of the summer without my ce.ll

^ Ditto for Memphis Sound.

It's cool until you're woken up a 1:30am in the morning by a contra guy yelling off the top of lungs, "Ah #### no" while talking to a buddy on the phone.

It's cool until you're woken up a 1:30am in the morning by a contra guy yelling off the top of lungs, "Ah #### no" while talking to a buddy on the phone.

What was your corps' cell phone policy? Was this on the bus or on the floor? If it was on the floor I hope he was dealt with, you just can't disrupt the floor time of your fellow corps members. If it was on the bus, well, I don't know...

Cavaliers, as mentioned earlier, it's a no, and for a number of sensible reasons. Certainly doesn't seem to have hurt them over the years... :)

What was your corps' cell phone policy?  Was this on the bus or on the floor?  If it was on the floor I hope he was dealt with, you just can't disrupt the floor time of your fellow corps members.  If it was on the bus, well, I don't know...

no policy at the time, and I don't think there is one now. But the guy got a his share of "do it again and you'll never see your phone again..hint hint" from the corps. ^0^

Man, times have changed.

When I marched, nobody had cell phones on tour. Of course 7 years ago basically everyone had the huge Zack Morris Saved By The Bell cell phones compared to what is out there today.

I called home about once a week and that probably wouldn't have changed even if I did have a cell phone.