cell phones on tour

Should corps members be allowed to have cell phones on tour?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Should corps members be allowed to have cell phones on tour?

• Yes.
    • Yes, but with many restrictions.
    • No.

Having been a devoted Email Drop person through http://www.corpsreps.com/ for the past few years, I can tell that most evryone has or has access to cell phones. Used to get 15-20 letters for each of the 5-6 shows I get to; last year it was 1 or 2, couple times none. Last time I talked to Chris at Corpsreps, he was thinking of discontinuing the feature.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Cavaliers have a great policy where they make times for the guys to contact friends and family should they wish to. Again you cant argue with the results of the Cavies success.

Cavaliers policy is no cell phones on tour. At the beginning of pre-tour, each cell phone is collected and cataloged by the brass captains, put in a manila envelope with the member's name on it and kept at the corps hall until finals night.

The staff and volunteers are allowed to have cell phones and if there's an emergency, families will call the corps phone and a member will be put in contact with his family. On free time, most guys have calling cards and will use pay phones to call and talk to family/girlfriends/etc..

That's how it's been since I've been with them (99-00 off season) and I haven't heard a lot of complaints.

I agree.. can't argue with success. :)

Stef

"He then joined the Cavaliers for '00 to '02. What a difference. This is a corps that knows how to run a tour. The welfare of the corps members come first. Regular medical care, outstanding tour planning, the best leadership. "

I curious about the regular medical care. What did that consist of?

dks

There's always one, often two registered nurses on staff during the summer (on tour). THere are also a number of doctors (at least one orthopedic doc and at least two other MDs I know of) who volunteer their time in pre-season, on pre-tour and throughout the season -- sometimes touring with them as well. There is a comprehensive physical that is conducted on each member in pre-tour.. everything from joint health to medical conditions is noted on each member.. all their medications are listed in one place along with any physical concerns the docs noted in the pre-tour exam.. so the medical staff on tour knows what to keep an eye on.

They also have a pretty intensive physical training regimen they follow in pre-season and throughout the season -- they just released a packaged form of it on their website.. and I've watched them when it was time for Randy-cising.. OMG.. those guys work HARD (all of them)..

I've worked with corps who had medical staff on board with them throughout the season.. but never on this level.

My first three years, we had two kids with insulin pumps (we had to put special pockets in their uniform jacket to hold them for performances).. and yeah.. this was early 00s so you know what those shows were like.. we also had a snare drummer who was severely epiliptic -- so IMO, the medical staff being there is often what makes it possible for these guys to even march.. We didn't have too many episodes with those guys that I recall.. but having the physicals and a pretty extensive medical staff making sure meds were taking and insulin levels were normal was probably why there were so few.

Stef