retro warm up/parking lot tunes

in the lot at semis......phantom regiment...was playing a tuning exercise....and busted straight in to Canon in D...from 03.....same situation with SCV...and music of the night.....is this common? or a trendy thing this year....ne other corps do something like that?....regardles...both performances were....thrilling

It's not brand new, but it's definitely becoming more and more common. BD has been throwing bits of recognizable music into their chord exercises since the early 80s (maybe before, but the Close Encounters one is the first one I've heard of). Cadets are the ones I would probably point to as really setting the trend in terms of tagging portions of old shows onto the end of a technique exercize, rather than a chord progression. I heard them doing it with Rocky Point, Applachian Springs, etc. back in the late 90s. SCV picked it up and I guess Phantom has too.

It's good teaching, too. Keeps the players interested and excited and lets them apply whatever technique they were just practicing in an actual musical context, rather than a block chord exercise(not that it should totally replace those). Nothing wrong with showing off for the folks in the lot, either.

Last year at SCV, Gino said that the lot was a performance all by itself... And we definately treated it that way... We worked on the lot stuff quite a bit... Bottle Dance, the adagio for strings progression, music of the night during TOC... I know he did that before at Cadets too... I almost like playing chords and lot excersises more than the show itself... lol...

Dance, the adagio for strings progression

they've got that on the website, and i absolutely love it :)

as for the retro tunes in general- i can't get enough of em! gives you chills to hear them, and the amount of respect that is shown when the current corps adds a tune from an old show. i was born in 82, so i obviously never got to hear phantom do spartacus live in person, only on cd, so when i got to hear it in their encore at a show this year it blew me away, not to mention the first hit scared the crap out of a lot of people :)