Picking a Corps

This is nice but unfortunately notalways the case. Sometimes the first corps you march is not necessarily the one that suits you best. While it is nice to maintain a loyal integrity to the first corps, when it comes down it, you are in a completely selfless activity and it is okay (despite what tons of people will say) to move to a corps where you feel like family rather than uncertain on how you feel.

That's exactly how I feel. I left my first corps because after a summer of marching, I didn't feel like it was "home." Yes, I felt bad for leaving, but the corps will be better when all who do not want to be there are not there. Near the end of 2004, Lanah Kopplin wrote a wonderful article for dci.org about finding a corps home. It's something I've continually referenced to because I think it explains it perfectly.

Finding a drum corps home

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started marching -- lo, those many years ago -- I made my choice based on a couple of factors: what was close by (it wasn't too common to commute across country) and which corps allowed guys in the guard (there weren't many). The young, egotistical teenage me also wanted to march with a finalist calibre corps rather than a lower-ranking DI or DII group. Luckily, things worked out and I made it into my first choice on my first try. More importantly -- and also luckily, since I hadn't even really considered such -- it ended up being a good fit for me and my experience was a good one.

With the hindsight of what I know now, I would have given much more attention to the "personality" factor of the corps. In the long run, it's far more important to have an enjoyable, enriching experience than to be able to march on the field on Saturday night. It's important that you mesh with the other members of the corps; that you are among people who share your values and ideals; that you form close relationships with your fellow corps members and staff; that you are comfortable with your directors and view them not just as paid staff but as real leaders and mentors who have earned your respect. It's important to feel an accepted member of the group and to know what it is to be a part of something bigger than yourself. Don't let your ego, don't let the "I only want to march with corps X" mentality stand in the way of the drum corps experience.

I'm really not qualified to comment on this issue because I'm too old. But back in my day, if you left one corps to join another your face got broken. Right or wrong that's the way it was.

How far back was that? I moved from a parade corps to a Garden State Circuit corps to the Cadets...and most of the Cadets in my day were from a variety of other area corps...few moved up from the Plebes to the big corps. Blessed Sac had members from a variety of corps as well, inc the GSC corps I marched with...members of my first corps, the parade corps, moved on to march with St Lucy's...and that was 1964.

Mike

When I started marching -- lo, those many years ago -- I made my choice based on a couple of factors: what was close by (it wasn't too common to commute across country) and which corps allowed guys in the guard (there weren't many). The young, egotistical teenage me also wanted to march with a finalist calibre corps rather than a lower-ranking DI or DII group. Luckily, things worked out and I made it into my first choice on my first try. More importantly -- and also luckily, since I hadn't even really considered such -- it ended up being a good fit for me and my experience was a good one.

With the hindsight of what I know now, I would have given much more attention to the "personality" factor of the corps. In the long run, it's far more important to have an enjoyable, enriching experience than to be able to march on the field on Saturday night. It's important that you mesh with the other members of the corps; that you are among people who share your values and ideals; that you form close relationships with your fellow corps members and staff; that you are comfortable with your directors and view them not just as paid staff but as real leaders and mentors who have earned your respect. It's important to feel an accepted member of the group and to know what it is to be a part of something bigger than yourself. Don't let your ego, don't let the "I only want to march with corps X" mentality stand in the way of the drum corps experience.

I think the 'fit' is a VERY important factor...when I was looking to move to class 'A' after marching the 68 and 69 season in a class 'B' GSC corps, I looked first at my personal favorite growing up...the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights...I loved that corps as a kid. However, the culture of the corps, being as inner city-based as they were, was just not my cup of tea as a kid from the suburbs...so I went to Garfield where I fit in a LOT better. Nothing wrong with BS..just not a good fit for me personally.

Great thread. As a dad of a kid now marching in her third year with the same corps, make sure their is a good personality match between the instructional staff and yourself. That can make or break a fantastic experience or a "I don't want to be there" experience.

Also as a parent, consider where your kid is going to march, and if you want to be involved with the corps as a booster. Boosters are the lifeblood of the organization to make sure the members have the many, many things they need, take for granted, and wouldn't go to weekend practices and on tour without.

Consider expenses very seriously. There's more to a drum corps than the fees and tour expenses, especially of you are from out of town.

Consider your performance level. I find it rather humerous from those that post on DCP that state "I'm a woodwind player, never picked up a brass instrument, but I want to march (name a top 6 corps) because I'm a great clarinet (opr other woodwind) player". It's a very competitive environment, and quite frankly, the strong should survive. If you can't hack it, you'll get cut, plain and simple. Think about how you might feel if that happens, and what it might do for your drum corps motivation and dreams.

Some of the corps that finish 13-24 are great corps if you're not up to the competitive level of a top 6 corps - but then, go try out for a top 6 corps - you'll then see and hear what it takes to become one of the few, the chosen ...

were u can have fun

Many good posts. If you are one of those whose primary instrument is not brass, don't despair. There are corps, even at Div. 1 who will teach you (Pioneer's horn sergeant in 2005 was a clarinet player who learned soprano and marched four years.) Wanting to do corps is the first necessity. Finding your "home" is very desireable.

If you live in an area that has a show with 1 or more of the corps you are considering marching with, go watch a full day of rehearsal. After watching for the entire rehearsal ask yourself "Can I do that everyday for three months?" Can you keep up with the corps you most desire to march with? The top D1 corps rehearse at an intense level for 6-8 hours a day on show days and 12-15 on non-show days. I know Regiment will have 3 weeks of 15 hour days before they even see the first competition. I am sure all the other "contender" corps do the same. Are you ready to give your entire summer vacation to drum corps and can you afford to not have a job during the summer? What is your level of commitment?

Another parent perspective - albeit a few years old already:

I had no real concept of Drum Corps - had never been to a live show or even seen one on the tube - when my son mentioned he was going to try out for Jersey Surf - a couple hours up the road from Baltimore. A friend from school was involved, and he thought it would be cool. The Surf is a weekend corps, so no big deal I thought. He got in (front ensemble) and started the routine of carpooling up on a Friday, back on Sunday. Well, one thing lead to another...

Once he got a taste of that, his connections with the community of drum corps grew. His travels gave him the urge to travel more. His performances gave him the urge to perform more. His skills improved, and gave him the urge to learn more. In the "off" season - back at high school, he started performing in local theater productions. His growing confidence lead to an opportunity to play as a percussionist with a touring Broadway theater company. That, in turn, lead to the urge to re-join DCI at the Divison 1 level. Traveling the country with the theater group made it easier to feel OK about trying out for the most remote Div 1 Corps from the Baltimore area - SCV. (Besides, they were the reigning world champs - why not join the best?) The routine now meant a cross country plane ride for camps. (By the way, surprisingly pretty cheap from Baltimore to the West Coast) Once he had spent some time in CA, the idea of going to school there (college by now) was not so out of the question. In part, the inspiration and excellence of the SCV staff lead to an opportunity to audition for the Conservatory of Music in San Francisco. The chops and the musical maturity he had developed by then got him accepted. The next three years it was Summers with SCV, and the "off season" with the Conservatory. Each complimentary to the other. Each equally challenging, each equally rewarding. He graduated and aged out the same year. I got to see some incredible shows. (Trust me, SCV 2000 was unreal from start to finish.) I'm still not sure I have a real concpet of what goes on out there, but I had a blast watching my son get involved. He paid me back simply by embracing the opportunity and demonstrating that it would make him a better man. It did.

After all, I can honestly say he was the one that made it happen. And I think that's as it should be. The only advice I have for anyone out there (especially the parents) is this: Expect the unexpected. This activity seems to take people to places they never thought they would be. One thing will most likely lead to another. Drum Corps becomes a thread in the fabric of life, no more or no less important than a thousand other things that must be experienced to be understood. Be open to it all.

A month from today my son gets married to a wonderful woman. A woman he met on tour. A woman he marched with.

Expect the unexpected.