Baritone Mouthpiece

HylianHero

So, I'm going to try out for a corps this fall, (I'll give you three guesses who), and I decided that I want to buy a mouthpiece for a large bore baritone. I'm also playing a bass bone in jazz band which has the same bore as the baritone. I was hoping that I could get a mouthpiece that could double as my bass bone and baritone mouthpiece. I have been looking at Schilke's lately, and I really love the mouthpiece line. I was wondering what is the best Schilke mouthpiece for drum corps, I believe in the past I've heard that 52D's are a good choice. I played on one today on a bass bone, and I've played one in marching band before, so if you could, may I have some good suggestions on a choice.

So, I'm going to try out for a corps this fall, (I'll give you three guesses who), and I decided that I want to buy a mouthpiece for a large bore baritone. I'm also playing a bass bone in jazz band which has the same bore as the baritone. I was hoping that I could get a mouthpiece that could double as my bass bone and baritone mouthpiece. I have been looking at Schilke's lately, and I really love the mouthpiece line. I was wondering what is the best Schilke mouthpiece for drum corps, I believe in the past I've heard that 52D's are a good choice. I played on one today on a bass bone, and I've played one in marching band before, so if you could, may I have some good suggestions on a choice.

I'm not that familiar with Schilke mps, although they have an excellant reputation. I just wanted to point out that baritones usually use a small-shank (tenor trombone) mouthpiece, and the bass bone will use a large-shank mp. Euphoniums usually use a large-shank mp.

Just FYI...

ya what willard said, i've never herd of a large bore marching baritone, well yamaha's have like a medium bore from what i remeber, but what i'd say, is that a baritone and a bass trombone would need way different sized pieces, i'd use say a 51 or 52D for a bari, and like a bach 1G or shilke 60 for bass bone....i like big mouthpieces, so its also on your own preferance, also the corps would probably give you a size they would want you to use.

Edited by Euph_Dolphin

I'm confused now because: I borrowed a 52D, very nice mouthpiece by the way from a friend today, and he uses it in a Yamaha YBH-301M marching baritone, and I tryed it in the bass bone that I'm playing and it fit fine. I don't really know exactly why, and I can't find the model of bass bone, but it's a yamaha as well. The mouthpiece definetely wasn't the wrong size for the bass bone. They're both large shank instruments I guess, I don't know.

Edited by HylianHero

I'm fairly sure that it is a King 1127. I went to their February camp this winter and I know they were kings.

just because your horns are both large shank doesnt mean to use any large shank mouthpiece. I think you may be confused; we are trying to find you the right mouthpiece to play for a marching horn. A Schilke 51D or 52(D) would go great with those king horns. Look for a size around 1G for your bass bone. Hope that helps! Later

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to find too. I know just because they're large shank doesn't mean you should use any large shank mouthpiece on the horn. Ah, if I had the money for a 1G. I guess I will continue with what I'm playing on. ;) Sorry about all the trouble, but yes, I believe I should buy a 52D.