The South and Drum Corps

I don't think Steve meant to be-little the efforts of the Miami or New Orleans corps that came before Spirit.  They were certainly successful in their era of Drum corps.  His point I BELIEVE was the drum corps activity didn't truly begin to gain wider acceptance, (as it enjoyed in the Northeast and Midwest) in the South until Spirit made such a successful surge.

Later, AA

I appreciate your clarifications, but now I'm confused.

I thought the gist of the thread was "why isn't drum corps popular in the South". Your answer seems to be that it is. Thanks to Freddie, Bob Hoehn, and you can add Paul Milano. I laud what they did in their day.

In fact, one might make the case that the activity pretty much peaked in the South in the '80s. Certainly Spirit and Suncoast were more (competitively) successful than Spirit and Magic today, and even Wave was pressing for a finals spot in the late 80s.

As to the New Orleans corps, the Bleu Raeders, nee Stardusters had a fairly good run in the immediate pre-DCI/early-DCI era. That's only a couple of years before Spirit's flirtation with a championship.

Having spent my youth in Southern drum corps, It just hits me wrong when I see that "drum corps in the region didn't start until the '70s". Next someone will tell me that drum corps in South Florida started with Steve Rondinaro.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that when Drums Across America stopped being a big deal, drum corps in the Atlanta area stopped being a big deal. We had DCI South in '83, Finals in '84, and then by '85 or '86 (or maybe '87), Drums was no longer at Georgia Tech, and you never really heard anything about it anymore. I went to the Sprayberry shows, and to Birmingham, but except for that, there wasn't any exposure to speak of. As for the rest of the south, Suncoast was the only other "big" show, although Florida Wave was hot on the trail, albeit smaller. But I think the aging out of the "Freddy generation" had a lot to do with it as well, in that after the "new" wore off, and those of us from that era aged out (not me, but a lot of my friends, most of whom only did it for a couple or three years tops), it no longer had the appeal it once had. By that time, there was a lot of movement of players coming in from all over, people who were really good, and a lot of us wouldn't have made it. And now, unless they're really, really good, I think a lot of high schoolers don't stand a chance. I know for myself, as good as I was back then, I wouldn't have a prayer now, all things being equal. Just my opinion. That, and $.65 will get you a Coke out the machine where I work. :)

Having spent my youth in Southern drum corps, It just hits me wrong when I see that "drum corps in the region didn't start until the '70s".

And I appologized and corrected my over generalization. But surely you agree that it wasn't until Spirit hit the big time and finals were located in the deep south for the first time in 1979 that drum corps began to boom down here? I'm not belittling the accomplishments of any corps that competed with success before 1978, but the rise of Spirit and huge crowds at Legion Field certainly helped pave the way for DCI to grow in the south. And not to forget the creation of Drum Corps South in the early to mid 80s which helped to promote corps growth and the expansion of shows in our region.

In my experience, drum corps don't employ "recruiters".  We don't send a guy off to speak to high school bands in an attempt to gain members.  However, we have in the past set up tents at local marching festivals and we have actively recruited for the upcoming season while on tour.

We do send out invitations for all area bands to attend local shows that we sponsor.  If the band director is favorable, they might order a block of tickets (or in the least announce the show to his band) and students would get to see the shows, gain interest, then go from there.  If the director is not interested, they will not attend the show...nor would they have allowed any "recruiter" the opportunity to speak to their students.

According to your bio, you began marching in 87.  Spirit had just finished in 6th place the previous year.  Why would we have needed to actively "recruit" when we were successfully in the top 7 for 4 years running?  We were having plenty of talented potential members audition...that was not a problem.  And it's not a problem now either.  Spirit has plenty of talented musicians that audition from all over the south.  Just because the corps doesn't send out talent scouts or recruiters doesn't mean that we are lacking in talent in the line.

Besides, can you name any corps that has recruiters as you suggest?  In my 25 years of experience with Spirit, I can tell you that the support personnel are largely volunteer.  They have jobs in the real world as do the administrators of the corps.  Now you want those individuals to give more time to travel hours on the road just to go speak to high school band groups?  Don't you believe that if a kid has an interest in drum corps that they will find the info they need to march?  Sure they do!  That's how drum corps fill their ranks!  That's how I and ALL of my drum corps friends found our way to the corps...we sought after it!

The point is, what do you do about those that don't know how to contact a corps or live in an area where there is no drum corps? Or worse, what about those that don't even know what drum corps is? Do we simply pass them by just because they don't seek us out? Colleges use unpaid volunteers all the time to go out and speak to high school kids to get them to attend their school. That's how I attended West Georgia and I volunteer time now to help recruit new students. It's mighty ironic when we scream from the mountaintop the positive virtues of marching drum corps and and then say if you want to march come find us.

finals were located in the deep south for the first time in 1979

There you go again.............. 1969 AL Nationals were very competitive for both Junior & Senior and held in Atlanta. Why correct one generality just to launch another? One of my previous points was that the veterans' groups helped the South by frequently having their championships in southern venues.

I don't get your point other than that all drum corps south of Baltimore started with SoA in 1978. If that's the case, the "heyday" only lasted a couple of years and left with the TV station. I've said that I laud what Freddie and the others did in Atlanta. It was part of a process in the region that started in Miami and New Orleans and is currently best manifested in the Carolinas.

And I appologized and corrected my over generalization.  But surely you agree that it wasn't until Spirit hit the big time and finals were located in the deep south for the first time in 1979 that drum corps began to boom down here?  I'm not belittling the accomplishments of any corps that competed with success before 1978, but the rise of Spirit and huge crowds at Legion Field certainly helped pave the way for DCI to grow in the south.  And not to forget the creation of Drum Corps South in the early to mid 80s which helped to promote corps growth and the expansion of shows in our region.

It also kind of speaks to the remarkable growth of DCA South, the first region outside the Northeast to be pioneered by DCA, and to receive judges, a regional championship, etc.

The area is indeed rich with the Alumni from that era, to be sure.

It also kind of speaks to the remarkable growth of DCA South, the first region outside the Northeast to be pioneered by DCA, and to receive judges, a regional championship, etc.

The area is indeed rich with the Alumni from that era, to be sure.

Can't wait to see you guys again this weekend. You've made it work in Atlanta over the long haul.

Good Luck!

There you go again.............. 1969 AL Nationals were very competitive for both Junior & Senior  and held in Atlanta. Why correct one generality just to launch another? One of my previous points was that the veterans' groups helped the South by frequently having their championships in southern venues.

I don't get your point other than that all drum corps south of Baltimore started with SoA in 1978. If that's the case, the "heyday" only lasted a couple of years and left with the TV station. I've said that I laud what Freddie and the others did in Atlanta. It was part of a process in the region that started in Miami and New Orleans and is currently best manifested in the Carolinas.

Geez man...I give up. So the AL Nationals were in Atlanta in 69. Did it have over 30K in attendance? Did it cause a rapid growth of interest in the region?

I stated that drum corps began to BOOM in 78 and 79, thanks to a quick rise by Spirit and DCI finals in our own back yard. Add Suncoast into the top 6 within a few years and I'd definitely say that the popularity held ground through the mid 80s.

Geez man...I give up.  So the AL Nationals were in Atlanta in 69.  Did  it have over 30K in attendance?  Did it cause a rapid growth of interest in the region? 

I stated that drum corps began to BOOM in 78 and 79, thanks to a quick rise by Spirit and DCI finals in our own back yard.  Add Suncoast into the top 6 within a few years and I'd definitely say that the popularity held ground through the mid 80s.

In that the veterans' groups brought their own captive audiences as did the corps, I'd assume attendance was significant. Finals were at Georgia Tech as I recall. It was my 1st year teaching, so I wasn't counting the crowd.

It's difficult to counter your logic. You dismiss everything and everyone before 1978, yet 1978 was over 25 years ago. Where are things TODAY? Well, Spirit is in Alabama and occasionally in finals, DCI South is dead, Suncoast Sound is dead, and your local tour shows draw about like any other. Yes, Spirit had a couple of contending years 20+ years ago. The championship hasn't been back for a while, and the South is more likely to see a DCA championship than DCI. Instead of a 25 year-old BOOM, talk about today's BUST.

And yes, I still wish the Atlanta Corps Vets the best this weekend.

In that the veterans' groups brought their own captive audiences as did the corps, I'd assume attendance was significant. Finals were at Georgia Tech as I recall. It was my 1st year teaching, so I wasn't counting the crowd.

It's difficult to counter your logic. You dismiss everything and everyone before 1978, yet 1978 was over 25 years ago. Where are things TODAY? Well, Spirit is in Alabama and occasionally in finals, DCI South is dead, Suncoast Sound is dead, and your local tour shows draw about like any other. Yes, Spirit had a couple of contending years 20+ years ago. The championship hasn't been back for a while, and the South is more likely to see a DCA championship than DCI. Instead of a 25 year-old BOOM, talk about today's BUST.

And yes, I still wish the Atlanta Corps Vets the best this weekend.

Actually weren't championships in florida in 1996-1998 and I think in 2003?