Drum Ripples

I liked the video but I think if DCI or DCA decided to put a team together they would dominate the competition. I didn't see anything done in the video that would pose much of a problem for the talent we have here. I do think DCI has lost that type of performance in their drum lines but then again Judges don't seem to care so much for entertainment value.

Woah, there ... it's not a contest, it's the Edinburgh Military Tatoo. Most of the groups that perform there are military bands from the UK, Commonwealth nations, and allied countries. It's just a show, man. No judging other than the applause of the audience. Go to the event's website - http://www.edinburgh-tattoo.co.uk - and click on [The Tatoo Experience] and check out some of the video and audio clips.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite...it's hard to explain....a good example to listen to would be Blue Knights the 1st year they made finals (92???)...there's a short section in the first half where the brass is doing bell tones in the background and the basses to a VERY clear and easily heard run....a couple of 8th note triplets then the fast run....

Another good one (although I believe they were rolling instead of playing singles) is the bass break in both 85 and 86 Suncoast Sound...

The point is, a fast or complex bass run is very common, even at the high school level...

I know that, I've played bass for years. And I've played very fast 32nd note runs. But the next player can not start his part prior to the first player finishing his part because then it wouldn't flow. imagine a brass part where two players each play 4 notes. you wouldn't expect the second guy to play his first note any earlier then it is written in the part. So if you right a part that has bass 1 play 4 32nd notes and bass 2 play the next 4 32nd notes, bass 2 can not start his part prior to the upbeat or he will be rushing the part and the run would not be in time or smooth, it would be rushed between note 4 and 5. Bass and split parts are all about timing and blending. you have to play the part like it's one person playing the part. so if one person played a measure of 32nd notes he would not play the 5th 32nd any earlier then the upbeat of one because that is where it falls into the written part.

Edited by bluecoats88