Drum Ripples

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the announcer said they would return to work on Monay Morning as Lawyers and Doctors and other things. Just curious, where are a million people going to see that?

If that's the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, then those numbers are probably close to right. That Tattoo is BOA or DCI writ large and for a worldwide audience (and mostly pros), like the World Cup compared to the Fianl Four-One is big woldwide, the other is big here.

One of our Cadences uses that effect, but they aren't very good so it doesn't work very well, someone always misses one.  :P

They were performing at the Edinburgh Military tattoo. Which is one of the biggest marching demonstrations in the world. The Pipe drumming culture and marching culture here in northern ireland and the rest of britain is massive and people love there drummingand marching bands. I think if a few of your countries good drumlines performed at the tattoo it would lift the drumlines in your own country. Though that is hard since it is a military tattoo, still don't understand how the swiss corps got to perform there.

I know phantom did something similar in 1989 & 1990, only with single shots down the line.

Bluecoats 1988 did a run down the snares and into the basses leading into the drum to drum feature.

I know there were other times it was done, and I'm pretty sure I heard that effect this year also.

This is basically indoor drum line in europe.

Where can possibly listen to any of there solos.

Where can possibly listen to any of there solos.

http://www.vicfirth.com/features/DCI2004B.html

I know this isn't the drum solos you were looking for but this website has several cool drumline clips.

The best drumline archive I've ever seen was at www.drumlineparkinglot.net but it's been under construction for several months. They claim they are bringing it back sometime soon so you may want to check them ocassionally. If any place would have an old clip like this it would be this place.

If that's the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, then those numbers are probably close to right. That Tattoo is BOA or DCI writ large and for a worldwide audience (and mostly pros), like the World Cup compared to the Fianl Four-One is big woldwide, the other is big here.

It looks like the Edinburgh Military Tattoo to me, based on the stands leading to the old castle on the hill. And Tom is correct - it's a huge event worldwide.

I didn't want to read any replies to the orginal post until I seen the video. If half the DCI lines were half as entertaining as these guys, the activity would be doing alot better. Did anyone hear the announcer at the end, 100 million peole will see these performers, live, TV and Video. compared to 100,000 will see DCI championships this year.  They must be doing something right. Once again the drum corps high horse rears it's ugly head.

Funny - when I watched the clip, I could not help but think how much the line reminded me of DCI drum lines when I started marching in the last 70s.

And the crowds were bigger and better entertained, your point. Oh I know things are better then they were back then.

Couldn't you give it a rest just for a little while? Sheesh!

BTW, I guess it probably is the Edinburgh Tatoo, since the narrator refers to it as such. The Tatoo is just an awesome event. I'd love to see it in person someday, after years of seeing it on tv. There's audio & video clips on the official website, by the way --

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/

P.S. I think North American-style drum & bugle corps can claim a little credit for the way that these guys do their thing. Look at the drummers in most of the military bands you see at the tatoo ... they do nothing even remotely like this. I don't think what they're doing evolved independently on its own without a lot of influence from this side of the pond. B)

Edited by Orpheus