2005 - Great year for lower corps?

I just thought about this as I was posting in another thread. This year, I seem to be more impressed with the 5th-9th range than the typical 1st-4th place corps. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I didn't not like 1-4 at all (especially since I'm biased towards my alumni that's in that category), it's just that I feel that 5th-9th really stepped up this summer. Major kudos to the Bluecoats this summer - I love seeing them succeed. They really are incredible people.

Anyone else feel the same way?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an original post, but deleted everything and started from scratch. I forgot to include the following:

I'm only talking about the top 12 because that's all that I listen to (not that I don't appreciate what is being offered outside of the top 12 {and the cascades, just because those are some really great kids}, it's just that I know only the top 12 corps, and I'm only going to talk about what I know).

Thanks for quickly jumping on a flaw in my post instead of praising the activity - which was the original intent of this thread.

<**>

Edited by I Marched Before

he was just pointing out that there really isn't a lower range of corps in the top 12.

Your post is appreciated.

~>conner

I have to say that I was very impressed not only with the lower top 12, but also down to 16 and 17th. Those corps were scoring in a range that would have had them in Finals my rookie year (86).

I have been out of corps for a while but am getting caught back up. I was really impressed with how many good corps there are now. When I marched there were a lot of them, then things thinned out thru the mid 90s, but it looks like there has been a regrowth.

yes, and in all divisions

~>conner

Thanks for quickly jumping on a flaw in my post instead of praising the activity - which was the original intent of this thread.

Sorry...I wasn't pointing out what I considered a flaw, but rather an unintended offensive remark by calling those corps "lower". I certainly don't think that any member of Crown, Bluecoats, Boston, etc, would consider themselves a member of a "lower" placed corps.

I AM praising the activity...by claiming that those corps are not "LOWER" by ANY standard! Lower placing corps in Div 1 would be those in the last few places, like 18th, 19th, 20th...I think most would agree with that assessment. 5th - 9th is quite successful!

Sorry...I wasn't pointing out what I considered a flaw, but rather an unintended offensive remark by calling those corps "lower".  I certainly don't think that any member of Crown, Bluecoats, Boston, etc, would consider themselves a member of a "lower" placed corps.

I AM praising the activity...by claiming that those corps are not "LOWER" by ANY standard!  Lower placing corps in Div 1 would be those in the last few places, like 18th, 19th, 20th...I think most would agree with that assessment.  5th - 9th is quite successful!

They ARE lower by one standard. They are lower than 1-4. The title of the thread was a bit deceiving, but I don't think the original poster meant anything by the term lower, although midlevel might have been a better term. "Successful" placements are all relative to the corps. Ask the Blue Devils or SCV if they had a competitively successful year. Then ask Bluecoats. That isn't to take anything away from any of the corps that performed this year, especially since I haven't seen any except my own. I hope that everyone in every corps realizes that it's not about placements or scores or trophies. This summer was about a lot more than one night in August.

i'd agree that d1 as a whole seemed a lot more exciting top to bottom this year. some of my favorites were crossmen, scades, and magic and none of those were even finalists.