Start giving to corps relief gas funds now!

It's my understanding that corps are still reeling from the higher than expected gas prices over the past 3 months. So, donate money to help them get out of the hole they're in, then donate again to help them be ready for next summer.

Edited by Machine

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of about 3 pm today, gas prices here in TN were standing at 3.30/gallon. They went from 2.55 last night, to 2.78 at about 9 am this morning, to 3.00 at around noon, and now 3.30 :(

it went from 2.31 to 2.93 in a matter of 3 hours.

I was going to band (yes band) practice at 6... gas was 2.31. Coming home at 9:30, I saw the prices at 2.93. I blown away.

~>conner

I really appreciate the call to arms for gas donations.

I think it's funny that you manage to say it in such a way that you're telling DCI something new.  Pushing your agenda of regionalization based on gas prices seems logical, but to me it's pretty disingenuous.  <**>

Now I'm not a financial guru, but if you look at the NYH Unleaded futures (yes, I know it's diesel mostly), here's what's listed:

Sep 05 2.58 2.925 2.442 2.57 14:54 2.6145 +0.14 27165 33590  2.4745 9888  Call Put 

Oct 05 2.25 2.31 2.0025 2.258 14:53 2.2553 +0.0556 49175 13903  2.1997 73017  Call Put 

Nov 05 2.07 2.0935 1.99 2.05 14:51 2.0588 +0.0225 12400 1257  2.0363 21504  Call Put 

Dec 05 1.97 1.9977 1.9 1.96 14:51 1.9638 +0.0025 5043 941  1.9613 18275  Call Put 

Jan 06 1.97 1.982 1.8985 1.8985 14:02 1.9488 +0.0035 1582 138  1.9453 11863  Call Put 

Feb 06 1.91 1.9695 1.91 1.91 13:50 1.9438 0 105 107  1.9438 5132

Now I know it's seasonal, but I don't think the sky is falling yet.  Gas is a big expense, but so is food when that goes up.  I think that the BOD has very clearly addressed the fuel issue, probably in ways that you didn't hear about.  The corps knew what price to expect, and they weren't surprised AFAIK.  No doubt that gas sucks when it is pricy.  But the board also put into place Regional D1 touring.

In addition, gas prices were more expensive, by a lot, in the 70's.  All you have to do is adjust for inflation.

Yes, it sucks that gas is expensive.  Yes, help your corps.  But don't base a fundamental change in the activity on a commodity price.  If anything, doing more shows will help pay for gas.

But you have to understand that when the cost of gas goes up, so does the cost of anything that has to be shipped, like food, clothing, instruments, etc. It's not just gas. Get ready for inflation. If corps can't afford to go on tour, you can thank your president and vp who have nearly $100 million invested in big oil. I warned people about this before the last election but everyone wanted to blow-up Iraqis. That sentiment has changed and we are stuck with $4.00/gal. gas prices until Bush can rip up the Arctic. Yes, I know there are a lot of factors at play, but these guys aren't going to do a whole lot to stop it while they are making money and want to drill the Arctic so they can have their own oil to sell and make money. And if they don't, we will pay for it. Corps, rebudget. This isn't going away. All IMO, of course.

I always find it interesting that an event that causes a disturbance in the production of oil produces an overnight, extreme, and severe price increase.  But when that so-called "severe" disturbance has been fixed, gas prices SLOWLY come down, and never as low as they used to be.  A few years ago, there was a strange rash of refinery fires in California, with gas prices climbing higher each time.  Over the course of several months, the prices never really came down.  Funny isn't it?  Wanna see where all of that money goes?  Here are some pictures of a HOUSE owned by the family of Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the former president of the United Arab Emirates and ruler of Abu-Dhabi--- he's very "in" with OPEC and the petroleum industry.

Check out some of the homes the Pres and VP own. They aren't starving either.

Gas at Exxon today on Westfield ave. in Clark, NJ are 3.79, 3.89, and 3.99 !!

How exciting would it be of corps stayed in their own regions for June and the first three weeks of July, then BAM ! Multiple shows every night until Quarterfinals........

Merge the division II/III schedules, regionaly, with the division I schedule, for the beginning of the season, give the regions some depth and competition and then unleash them the last two weeks only having to take one major journey, to Madison Wisconsin....The south and the East could meet as the West and Midwest meet, then they can all merge and battle it out. Sure some of us will miss some corps, but we could also travel to these shows, DCI could create more shows and it would make for more exciting, more anticipated match-ups.

It could work

~G~

Corps could sell their amps and mics for some extra gas money.

Maybe DCI wants to reevaluate on what kind of shows to produce and be accussed of dumming down to create more popular shows to get more fans in the seats.

Something to ponder ... if these prices for gas or diesel fuel continue to rise, how far will you be able to drive to attend a show next summer? Will you stop going to local shows so you can save enough money to go to the bigger events like Kalamazoo, Allentown, Indy or Finals? Will you stop going to the bigger shows so you can see the corps closer to home?

Something to ponder ... if these prices for gas or diesel fuel continue to rise, how far will you be able to drive to attend a show next summer?  Will you stop going to local shows so you can save enough money to go to the bigger events like Kalamazoo, Allentown, Indy or Finals?  Will you stop going to the bigger shows so you can see the corps closer to home?

Me personally ?? I'll eat less and buy less cd's and dvd's. I cant curb my drum corps habit. I would rather buy used cd''s and dvd's to pay the extra money for gas then limit my shows and travel to the shows. But thats just me.

~G~