Gas Availability in Scranton?

Strange topic perhaps but in the aftermath of Katrina transport of gasoline in the southeast has come to a halt.

Prices at stations in North Carolina have risen about a dollar a gallon in the last 36 hours. There have been lines the likes of which we last saw in 1974 and many stations have run out of gas altogether. Those stations that have fuel are limiting buyers to 10 gallons.

My wife and I are booked to fly roundtrip Charlotte to Baltimore and had planned to drive on to Scranton from there. Assuming our airline is still flying we're still a go.

So here's the question. What are fuel supplies like in Maryland and Pennsylvania? We're not talking about the price......we're talking about whether there will be gasoline to be bought. We still intend to be in Scranton but we'd like to have some confidence that we'll be able to buy a tank of gas and drive back to BWI.

Thanks for any info anyone might have.

David

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange topic perhaps but in the aftermath of Katrina transport of gasoline in the southeast has come to a halt.

Prices at stations in North Carolina have risen about a dollar a gallon in the last 36 hours. There have been lines the likes of which we last saw in 1974 and many stations have run out of gas altogether. Those stations that have fuel are limiting buyers to 10 gallons.

My wife and I are booked to fly roundtrip Charlotte to Baltimore and had planned to drive on to Scranton from there. Assuming our airline is still flying we're still a go.

So here's the question. What are fuel supplies like in Maryland and Pennsylvania? We're not talking about the price......we're talking about whether there will be gasoline to be bought. We still intend to be in Scranton but we'd like to have some confidence that we'll be able to buy a tank of gas and drive back to BWI.

Thanks for any info anyone might have.

Good question.  I haven't seen any gas lines in Connecticut, but price of regular is from 304.9 per gallon at convenience stores to 368.9 at the one full serve in town.

That is over a dollar increase since Monday. We'll be driving to Scranton this weekend and it would be nice if there is gas to get us home. :(

David

I live near Hershey, and I've seen the price of gas go up at someplaces, but not all. I haven't seen any lines waiting for gas at the stations either.

Can't address the PA gas issue but I was on the road today between Bayonne, ,the Newark Airport area, and where I now live in Sparta, NJ ( northwest corner of the state, 75 miles southeast of Scranton ) and i saw prices ranging from 2.73 to 3.09 for a gallon of regular.

Supply appeared to be plentiful and there were no lines. Yesterday i paid $2.54 for regular.

Travel safely to Scranton everyone and may the best Corps win.

Tom K.

a 20th & 21st century Bridgemen.

Here in suburban Philadelphia the prices are between 2.73 and 2.99... and they get closer to 3.00 the closer you get to the city. But as for lines and stations running out of gas, I haven't seen that at all.

But I'm glad that, on Sunday night I ran to fill up my tank when they started talking about what MIGHT happen with the hurricane. So I still have a good deal of gas in my car since what they were talking about DID happen.

Edited by DrumCorps21

my ride asked me tonite if he should fill up in Fairfield or wait until we saw something along the way. for some reason he forgot we don't go thru Jersey to get to Scranton, tho he's been there a whole bunch of times. :blink:

seeing that places in town went up to $2.99 overnight and i have no idea what they will be tomorrow, i said fill up now.

my ride asked me tonite if he should fill up in Fairfield or wait until we saw something along the way.  for some reason he forgot we don't go thru Jersey to get to Scranton, tho he's been there a whole bunch of times.  :blink:

seeing that places in town went up to $2.99 overnight and i have no idea what they will be tomorrow, i said fill up now.

Liz

The Cumberland Farms and Citgo across the street at Beach Road and Post Road in Fairfield are 304.9 today. I filled up at Cumberland Farms and I guess that I will be watching gas available on the way to Scranton. We'll take I-84 all the way.

Here in suburban Philadelphia the prices are between 2.73 and 2.99... and they get closer to 3.00 the closer you get to the city.  But as for lines and stations running out of gas, I haven't seen that at all.

But I'm glad that, on Sunday night I ran to fill up my tank when they started talking about what MIGHT happen with the hurricane.  So I still have a good deal of gas in my car since what they were talking about DID happen.

Yep, gotta agree with that.

I got lucky because I filled up Monday night in Malvern at a place that was still at $2.61 a gallon. My corner stations are now at $2.83 and $2.85, with the one place telling me they were going to raise the price by 9 cents overnight.

No reports of any gas shortages in PA that I've heard of. So you should be alright.