OK, I know we weren't competing, but I normally search the web for reviews to send our director after we do a drum corps show. Anyone come early enough to see us before Finals? Give me some honest feeback. Thanks.

Edited by usmcontra

My wife and I would never miss your show! It is always a treat no matter what is being played (as long as "Stars and Strpes Forever" is the finale :) )

The show this year was entertaining as well, and you would never know it was 100+ degrees outside from the way they performed. The soloists seemed talented, but did not have a good night on Saturday. I like the style of the hornline. They always put out a good balanced sound, but seem to keep some in reserve when the want to really blow, and the impact is that much more impressive. Music? Dynamics? They do it right. The marching looked good, though the drill was not as clean as I have seen in years past.

I grew up in Oceanside, CA right near Camp Pendleton Marine Base. We were lucky to get a visit from the Commandant's Own nearly every year, and they would do a few shows around the area, including one at my high school. In 1991 I was a junior in high school, and my band director told me I should go over to the stadium and watch the Marine Corps show. I had seen a few local marine bands, and was not expecting much. I had never seen drum corps before, not even on video, and did not know the difference between a drum & bugle corps and a marching band. I remember clearly that they opened with the main theme to "Robin Hood: Prince of Theives". They began playing backfield until the opening fanfare, when they turned around and let the audience have it. The sound I heard was nothing like I had ever heard before. My friends and I to this day refer to it as "that sound", the unique drum corps sound that bugles can produce. I will tell you, the feeling I got that evening is what I seek everytime I watch a show or a DVD, or listen to a CD. When the sound of the brass envelops you, touches your soul, stops your breath. That Sound.

Washington DC in 2000 (Gee, why was I there?) Every Tuesday during the summer the USMC Drum & Bugle Corps performs the Sunset Parade at Arlington Cemetary, complete with the amazing Silent Drill Team. They perform on the lawn in front of the Iwo Jima monument, with NO painted lines. There are no bleachers, just viewers sitting on a little bluff. Watching the show with the sunset behind, and a view of D.C. was another moment my wife and I will never forget. I hope this still goes on each summer, because I will see it again someday.

Thanks to the United States Marine Drum & Bugle Corps for everything you do for drum corps fans, and for your service to our country.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it would have been really nice to see the Marines at DCA. Unfortunately, this always falls on Labor Day weekend which usually coincides with their first of only two blocks they have for leave - one is 3 weeks in Christmas the other the week either before or after Labor Day after a VERY busy summer peformance schedule. The one DCA show they were scheduled for, Hershey...well we all know what happened....

Big ups to "The Commandant's Own" Alumn at DCA Finals!!!

To answer your question 'playloud'...Yes they still perform every Tuesday at the Marine Corps War Memorial throughout the summer. They also participate in a spectacular Evening Parade every Friday at the Marine Barracks, 8th & I, in Washingtion, DC.

• 4 weeks later...

i saw the marines drum&bugle corps at the giant stadium dci show, they are always awesome. the first time i saw them was at a dca show back in 2000, i was 17, and a rookie in senior. the marines are definately something to respect, and simulate.

i saw the marines drum&bugle corps at the giant stadium dci show, they are always awesome. the first time i saw them was at a dca show back in 2000, i was 17, and a rookie in senior. the marines are definately something to respect, and simulate.