A friend and I made the decision at about 2:30pm to drive out to Scranton for prelims. We got there at about 6 as the final A class corps finished performing so this review is only of the Open Class corps. We bought tickets in the upper deck when we arrived - 20 yard line, side 1. Yuck. We wound up sitting in the top row, 50 yard line for the first few corps until people started claiming their seats though. This was my first viewing of any DCA corps this summer.

In reverse order of finish:

16) Frontier - 70.713

I'm pretty sure this was the first DCA performance (regular season or otherwise) for this corps from Texas. They played fun, recognizable melodies, which combined with their uniforms, invoked images of Troopers past. There seemed to be quite a few holes in the drill and a number of people who were likely very new to the field show. At times, they put out a nice brass sound, but coordination between sections was lacking. Unless they had more than 65 members, I'm not sure why this corps chose Open Class instead of A class. All in all, the show had some entertaining moments and it's always great to see a new corps in the field of competition (a common theme at DCA this year!).

15) Sunrisers - 76.913

I liked the Tell-tale Heart show concept tied together by the bass drummer in the pit at the start and end of the show. A corps member told me before the show that they filled in quite a few holes in the past few weeks, which helped with the overall package I'm sure. The color guard was definitely the strong point for the Sunrisers. I am not surprised to see that the guard finished 11th while the corps overall was in 15th.

14) Kilties - 78.588

Most of what I'd want to say has already been stated in other posts. The simple fact that the Kilties got out there and performed their show is testament enough to the character of the corps. This was a very entertaining Kilties show. The design team worked to stick to tradition without locking themselves into it by mixing in some contemporary music. I have no idea how the members got through the performance but everyone in attendance thanks you for allowing us to witness your emotional show.

13) Skyliners - 80.875

I apologize, but I did not see the Skyliners performance.

12) Crusaders - 81.625

Welcome back! An interesting way to reenter the field of open class competition. A show theme and repertoire selection that tells the story of what seems to be the corps' 2005 mantra - We Go On! The Crusaders put out an emotional performance and the crowd was along with them for the ride.

11) Grenadiers - 82.425

I liked the repertoire selections a lot - Danny Elfman tunes work well on the field. I've always been entertained by this corps and 2005 was no exception. This is a show I would've really liked to see in finals but alas that was not meant to be. Even still it's nice to see them back in Open Class competition after winning the Class A title last year.

10) Hurricanes - 84.075

This was my favorite Hurricanes show in quite awhile. They marched pretty well, they played well. They worked Mag 7 into the show in a tasteful way that was not a rehash. I wish I could think of more specific things to say, but all I can remember is the show finishing and me feeling entertained by the performance.

9) CorpsVets - 85.488

I apologize, but I did not see the CorpsVets performance.

8) Carolina Gold - 85.588

What a great performance! They put out a good strong sound and a very entertaining show, which is even more impressive given the amount of time they were waiting to go on the field. I was excited to hear their number given how early they went on in the show. I could see their score go up a bit more at finals, but the gap between them and Cabs is too big to close.

7) Caballeros - 90.050

After all the talk of the Caballeros' demise at the beginning of the season (not all of it from nameless Internet cowards), I really didn't expect a lot from this show. I was pleasantly suprised. The show is great. High demand both musically and visually. The guard really characterized the show theme well with Egyptian poses when not actively involved in what was happening. The show was perhaps too demanding visually which at times hurt the brass sound at impact points and late in the show. The opener was much slower than you might expect from a Cabs opener, but they sure picked up the pace later on. Nice job!

6) Minnesota Brass, Inc. - 92.325

Having four soloists stand on the sideline for the entire performance ruined the show for me. I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. If they had marched even 25% of the show I think I would have loved the performance. I really liked the chosen repertoire, all sections were very strong, the moved well - everything was good. But I found myself watching the soloists to see if they were going to hop into the drill instead of focusing on the other 100+ people working their butts off to move and play. More on this in later reviews...

5) Renegades - 92.525

They've sure been successful with their PR campaigns. The hype in the stands was incredible even before they entered the field. The white tunics added another dimension to the beginning of the show and a great visual effect when they were removed later. The standing still for the opener was a big risk, but I think the amount of guard movement and corps movement later made it okay from a design standpoint. The color guard and visual design are vastly improved from previous offerings without losing the great brass intensity and power. Personally, I find the loud hornline much more effective when coupled with a more complete program. I really like the swagger and confidence of this corps. They own the stadium when they perform and they make no apology for it.

4) Brigadiers - 93.350

Cool tunes that fit into the mold of most recent Brigadiers shows. They play well although I can't help but think their hornline was at a disadvantage going on directly after the Renegades. I used to dislike Brigs shows visually because I felt they don't move all that much. I still think they move less than most of the corps they are near competitively, but I can at least recognize that design their show intelligently. At times there is a great deal of movement and they have good technique so they work the judging system to their advantage. I guess there's not anything wrong with that, right? Overall, the show was fun to watch.

3) Empire Statesmen - 94.413

I think Empire used their props well and did a good job telling the story of their show with the two actors on the field. Like MBI, some soloists who didn't do much moving around here too. I thought they were a little lacking performance-wise, especially visually. More dirt than some of the corps they beat. I thought they could have been as low as 6th. The field visual scores have them in 2nd and ensemble visual 3rd though so I guess the dirt was perhaps due to my vantage point which was admittedly not very good. Like I said earlier, they were very successful in selling their show and I think that's what has them in the top 3.

2) Bushwackers - 95.000

I was intrigued before they began their show. The military uniforms on the drum majors, the weird noises or whatever was coming out of the Long Ranger during their warmup. They called their show a Russian Winter something and I really really liked it up until they got to 1812 Overture. It was performed well and, while I know it's by a Russian composer, I can't help but think of American 4th of July fireworks when I hear it. There seem like a lot of other options out their for repertoire to stay within the show theme. All in all this was definitely my favorite Bush show I've seen live (my first live DCA show was 1998 so I missed their heyday). All sections were strong - some great guard moments. The hornline plays. Nice show!

1) Buccaneers - 97.475

Nobody is even in their league this year. Their show has more of everything. They have more demand, higher performance levels, cleaner everything. There are moments when their hornline was jazz running and still outplaying most other corps of the night. Granted demand is only as good as the execution that goes along with it and Bucs have found a way to execute. I love the repertoire choices, some of my favorite drum corps pieces and I love what they do with them. There's really not much I can say about their performance. I would have been shocked if they hadn't won with this big of a spread. They were simply that good. Congratulations on a great show design, great training and great execution. Way to go!

Okay so those are my thoughts. You don't have to agree with me; I do expect that you'll respect my opinions though. I just shared what I could remember. I didn't take notes or anything during the show so I'm sure I missed some things. Best of luck to all the corps at finals!

Great review. Next year, do yourself the favor of deciding to go a few hours earlier, there were some great things from Class A this year.

Adam Burdett

Believe me I normally would be there for every corps performing. Whether it's DCI Quarterfinals, Div 2/3 Prelims or DCA Prelims I try to see every corps I can. I woke up Saturday morning without any thought to driving out to Scranton, but I got the itch in the afternoon and got out there as early as I could -- too bad it was after A class had finished.

9) CorpsVets - 85.488

I apologize, but I did not see the CorpsVets performance.

It was a good show... Don Ellis charts. Good execution and some sweet drumming with nice musicality, interp and timing. Horns sounded great from where I was, and the ending had incredible energy. Heard from their members that Sunday's show was even better, but this did not boost the scores.

Does anyone want to give a review for A class corps?

2) Bushwackers - 95.000

I was intrigued before they began their show. The military uniforms on the drum majors, the weird noises or whatever was coming out of the Long Ranger during their warmup. They called their show a Russian Winter something and I really really liked it up until they got to 1812 Overture. It was performed well and, while I know it's by a Russian composer, I can't help but think of American 4th of July fireworks when I hear it. There seem like a lot of other options out their for repertoire to stay within the show theme. All in all this was definitely my favorite Bush show I've seen live (my first live DCA show was 1998 so I missed their heyday). All sections were strong - some great guard moments. The hornline plays. Nice show!

Actually, the 1812 overture has nothing to do with fireworks, or american history, or the war of 1812. It is about Imperial Russia defending their country from Napoleons invasion. After all, why would a Russian write a song about an American war, when they had a perfectly good war going on themselves.

1812 Overture

I loved the Bucs show and certainly thought it deserved to be in first. My only criticism - a lot of times when the hornline was playing less than fortissimo passages, the great classical stuff they were playing was being drowned out a bit by the drumline. So at the top of the stands, the music wasn't nearly clear or effective as it could have been, IMO.

Actually, the 1812 overture has nothing to do with fireworks, or american history, or the war of 1812.  It is about Imperial Russia defending their country from Napoleons invasion.  After all, why would a Russian write a song about an American war, when they had a perfectly good war going on themselves.

1812 Overture

Even still, as I said in my original post, I can't help but think of American fireworks and patriotic celebrations. That may not have been the intent of the piece when it was written, but that's the connotation that the average fan most likely takes today in an American stadium. It doesn't discount their performance in any way - just my emotional reaction to the show.

Edit: sorry, mine is a review of finals, not prelims. I should have posted in a different thread.

I saw the entire show including the class A corps, and I enjoyed the class A shows very much. I'm sorry but I saw 13 corps so I can't remember details (except of the shows I had seen earlier in the season) but I can give an impresion of each corps. Also, I am a horn person so the hornlines were what I was paying most attention to. The first couple of corps I watched from the lower level but the rest I watched from above so I could see the forms quite well.

Alliance:

What an awesome first year for a corps! The 14 piece hornline was very balanced and quite powerful for its size. The guard was in very bright uniforms and neon flags which made for a strong visual effect. A very entertaining and crowd pleasing show. I hadn't theard their music before and it was very enjoyable.

Governaires:

It was very obvious that the corps had a great time performing their show and the crowd got into it too. The soloists were very good, and like the first corps, the 14 piece hornline (I counted 14 horns but someone told me there were 15 horns) sounded at least twice its size with a balanced sound.

Chops, Inc.

Another great corps from Minnesota. They played music from Tommy and a couple of other pieces. Someone near me commented that they sound more like 40 horns than the 18 that they had. They had a very good soprano soloist who played a few times.

Hurricanes:

I have seen this show a few times this season because we (Sun) competed against them at just about every show we were in. They have improved the show since West Haven and cleaned it up a bit. They had a good sound and quite effective drill which I saw for the first time from a high enough viewpoint. In previous shows during the season they seemed to have some stamina issues but they made it through their show strong in finals.

CorpsVets

They played a couple of recognisable Don Ellis tunes and performed well. The hornline was strong and the drumline and hornline blended well with each other. They had good dynamics and no problem playing loud.

Carolina Gold:

A very entertaining show and the performers clearly enjoyed themselves. They had a very strong performance. The guard had very many great moments and were featured often.

Caballeros:

This is like an entirely different show from early in the season. I love that drum thing they do with the groups rotating around. There were only a couple holes left in the hornline that I could see. One of the blocks near the end was a bit messy but overall the show was much cleaner than even a week before.

MBI:

I can tell why this corps has won high drums for the past few years. They had a lot of exposed drum parts, and even I could tell they were amazingly unbelievably clean. I would have liked to hear more from the hornline because they were very good and powerful when they played. The show seemed to feature the drumline quite a bit. They had good soprano soloists who didn't march. The drumline didn't win this year but I bet they were close. This corps and the next few corps could have finished anywhere between 2nd and 6th.

Renegades:

I had the concept of the show explained to me as they were marching onto the field. The theme is the transition of good to evil, symbolized by the removal of the white hooded things they were wearing at the beginning, and the red velvet churchy looking things they had wrapped around the drums. Because I knew what to expect I didn't think the change would be that shocking visually, but it was a truly amazing transition, and the mood of the music changed as well. The hornline was awesome and had a good sound as well as showing great power.

Brigadiers:

This was a very well performed show. I think the reason they didn't place higher is that for some reason they waited until the last 30 seconds in the show before the hornline really opened up. I know very well what this corps is capable of because I marched there last year. The soprano soloist was quite good the few times he played. The music was very good but it was too tame and nice, something one would listen to for a relaxed evening, not an in-your-face drum corps show. There were not enough ups and downs in this show. There were some visual highlights but not enough of those either. The mellophone intonation issues that could be heard at the Kingston show were mostly fixed for finals.

Empire Statesmen:

I liked this show both at Kingston and at finals. I was too busy watching the adventures of Carmen and the guy who was chasing her that I didn't pay as much attention to the rest of the performance as I did with the other corps. The soloists were great. I guess some people have issues with soloists not marching but it works well for this corps and it isn't against the rules so why not. Personally I'd rather hear the soloists playing their best than have them not be able to perform at all.

Bushwackers:

The hornline was very clean and had a good sound with quite a lot of challenging stuff which they executed well and made it sound easy. The drumline had some cool moments. Visually I could see what they were trying to do but the forms were quite often crooked. There were quite a few moments when they formed a block which had at least one person 1 or 2 steps out of each line. This should have been cleaned up better and it would have made for a much better visual effect. The Russian theme was cool and the drum major unis were a nice touch. The singing was very good. When the low brass came in after the first bit of singing, it was difficult to hear the singing, but I was way at the top so I bet it was heard better from the box and lower section. Unfortunately for whatever reason the corps went off the wrong way and trooped the stands after the show was done. I wondered what the heck they were doing but I thought they must have been told to do that. When they ran into the Bucs who were coming onto the field it was pretty obvious that wasn't supposed to happen and they got a penalty for it which lost them a place.

Buccaneers:

I know that I am going to run out of superlatives to decribe this show. From the beginning of the season I knew they had a championship show. The hornline was awesome, with huge power in Adagio. I swear every time I heard that last chord of Adagio this season I got chills including at finals. The guard was amazing. The percussion music was well integrated into the horn music. The low brass was unbelievable, especially the contras who played a feature with a little solo at the end, and the soprano line got it together well by the end of the season. The mellos played some tough parts as well. Visually they were near perfect, with lightning fast recovery when someone did get a bit out. A lot of very effective moves, especially at the end. There was no doubt that this corps would win, and I would have expected the spread between Bucs and the rest of the pack to be even bigger, but it's not possible to score higher than 100. Even people I spoke to from other corps couldn't deny that the Bucs beat them fair and square.

Edited by sop16