soloists on the front sideline.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking only as a DCA fan, I'm there to be entertained. I don't give a rat's patoot where they park them, what they may pop out of, or if they dress them up with a big red nose and big floppy shoes. The talent level of the "pit brass" or whatever you want to call them is outstanding. Some of the best players in the activity. That is one of the things I expect from DCA. I want to hear the people with mega years experience wailing away. Most programs work out a balance to highlight this talent without turning the show into a personal concert. Works for me so far. Perhaps the criteria for the best soloist award should be re-evaluated to consider the marching vs. non-marching demands. That is something you as the active participants will decide. Me ? I'll just buy my ticket and smile every time someone blows the house down

In my case, the reason why I am sometimes "hiding" in the pit is because it allows me to be both an instructor and a performer at the same time. As is the case with my fellow soloists, Chris Nalls and Rich Duarte. And, I have been doing it this way for about ten years now. Besides, you wouldn't want me on the field marching anyways! :P

Actually Larrie, you march pretty well (especially compared to me!)

And it has been more like 25 years that you've been doing this! Didn't you march less that five minutes when you were in Blue Devils?

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Oh and thanks for the compliment on my marching. That's a first! :P

Good point - Actually, you suck!!

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^