Div. 1 auditions

I am a junior in high school and I'm trying out for a Div. 1 corps in November. I'm really excited for this, but the only problem is that I don't know if I should tell my marching band director that I'm auditioning before I actually go in November. I was thinking that I should because I am a section leader for my band and it would be a conflict if I was away all summer, and if I made it and suddenly told him that I was in corps he would probably be very surprised. And also he has a lot of experience with corps and could probably give me some pointers, along with my assistant director, who was in Madison Scouts for four years. But I'm not sure because I don't want to disappoint him if I don't make it. And I also don't know how he would react to a junior trying out, because only seniors have done it at our school. Thanks for any help.

Edited by trumpeter89

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, welcome to the boards. :)

I would let them know that you wish to do this. If you don't make it, life goes on. They won't be disappointed unless you didn't give it your best effort. :) Tell them that you wish to audition and just see where it goes from there. I'm sure they will encourage not discourage your wanting to further your education.

Hope this helps you in your decision. :D

For starters, I would hate to think of any band director discouraging a student from auditioning for drum corps, especially if, as you said, he has experience with corps and knows what this experience would do for you (and also for the band).

Also, you said you dont want to disappoint him if you dont make it... he should be proud of you for auditioning, not disappointed.

You also said you didnt know how he would react to a junior trying out...once again he should be proud.

That all being said, yes I agree that you should let him know your intentions. Not only is it fair to him to let him know of any possible conflict with your band responsibilities as soon as you think there may be some, but he also may be able to offer you some pointers.

I wish you the best in your auditions, THINK POSITIVE, and have a ball :)

And many more who willt ell you, and I quote "you're not in my band if you do drum corps"

That was my director. And it's usually the directors who have no experience in the activity who think this way. I would say you're in a good position and should let both of them know you're auditioning.

There are many directors, esp in areas where school starts in August, who counsel their students to audition for a div I corps AFTER they leave HS, not while they are in HS.

What a kid does with their summer is absolutely none of a band director's business one way or another. If a band director feels threatened by the idea of one of their kids spending a summer marching drum corps, it only demonstrates that band director's insecurities. If they believe that missing a weekend of band camp would somehow damage their marching band program, it says something about their low contact with reality... :P (is there a kid marching a div 1 corps who couldn't jump in after missing a few days of band camp and get caught up pronto?)

Edited by mobrien

And some who threaten to fail you if you do drum corps and miss band rehearsals...

If the rehearsals are part of the grade in the class, and you miss them for a reason outside of illness or something like that, of course that will impact your grade in the class. If the director singles out drum corps, then that too is totally wrong. You can't give a kid a "pass" on attending Interlochen but penalize them for doing corps. OTOH...the teacher can not do the reverse either.

Rehearsing with holes in the drill impacts the rest of the band in a negative manner...as it would a corps.

Mike

It's not as simple as some would like to make it. There are many legitimate reasons for directors not wanting their kids to do drum corps until AFTER they graduate. There are also quite a few benefits to having kids that HAVE done corps before they graduate.

According to when rehearsals actually start

According to whether or not the student wants' to hold a leadership position

Whether or not the student will have to miss some of their actual school year, not just band rehearsals.

According to how the kids handles the transition back to the band etc....

Someone mentioned, "missing a weekend of band camp"....

Most schools in the south, begin rehearsals in early July now, because we have to start back to school in late July or early August. My own band had 8 rehearsals before band camp, a week of band camp and then 4 more rehearsals before the kids who had marched corps could have ever been home. It's more than just a "weekend" of band camp.

The issue is not always whether or not the student could "jump in" and handle it or not, but how it affects the OTHER students in the program.

VERY complex issue and each director has to handle it in the way they feel most appropriate for their own program.

I have dealt with both ways and see the drawbacks and benefits of both.

Later, AA