Derry Patriots Reunion and alumni corps

Sweendoc

In order to celebrate the 30th year since the corps was on the field, some of us old guys are planning a reunion and are seriously discussing the possibility of marching as the Derry Patriots Alumni Corps in the Latrobe 4th of July parade. Yes this seems impossible or sounds like we had too much to drink, but an informal meeting took place at the Hempfield band festival last Saturday night. In attendance was myself, Jay Cribbs, Gary Baird, Tammy Smithley, Harry Heiple, and Paul Lizza. We have been able to procure the actual instruments we used in the Patriots. Yes, these are valve/rotors that have been in storage for thirty years, but with a little TLC, we believe they will be functional. As a history buff, I am delighted to imagine a corps marching with the old valve/rotors. As future meetings take place I will keep the information flowing. If you or anyone you know marched with us, drop me a line at sweendoc@yahoo.com. We have also decided that the parade corps will not be limited to just alumni of the corps, as anyone who wants to march may do so. This is a one shot deal, there are no plans to continue after the 4th parade. We will not be trying to steal anyone from any other local corps. (I can't believe anyone would want to play continously on those old horns!) Put the word out and hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely, Gregg Sweney

Sounds like fun Greg,

If you find yourselves in need of anything let me know.

Best wishes

Jeff,

MVE

Edited by jeff danchik

Thanks Jeff, you guys rock!

P.S. Tell Jaye I was just messing with him!

Sounds like fun Greg,

If you find yourselves in need of anything let me know.

Best wishes

Jeff,

MVE

Congrats! I remember competing against them in the 1970's. In fact I remember a show in Derry or nearby with us and the Precious Blood Cardinals and Royal Crusaders I believe were there too. How's my memory?

Might have been at Latrobe Stadium, Keith, although I can't remember ever seeing Precious Blood there in my time. Usual corps included Royal Crusaders, Vagabonds, Sharpsburg, Silver Sabers, Cambria Cadets, CD of A, and others from SWPA. Couple of WNY corps a couple of years. I think it was my first encounter with Steve Cooley, but didn't know it until years later at Steel City.

GREGG!! - just heard the possibility of a reunion from Jay Cribbs last week. You can definitely count me in. I am wondering what music from that era that might still be out there.

I talked with Doc Koval about that equipment last year at my uncle's funeral - a complete set of Olds Duratone horns just sitting in his basement. Good news that he still had it all there just for this occasion.

think I would be able to buy my old horn from him after the parade?

Talk later....

Thanks Jeff, you guys rock!

Don't forget to post on RAMD I've caught Bill Zealot and Tim Rogers there a couple times in the past. Also if you have a flyer or anything we can put it on our recruiting tables at Band Comps and shows.Send me a PDF and I'll print it out.

Also,if you're going to have a website we'll link off of ours. :)

Later,

Jeff

Lipsprain, great to hear from you, and congrats on Corps Vets success! There may be an opportunity to purchase your horn after the parade. Please use your contacts to inform those who might be interested in doing this reunion.

I'm not sure about some old music "out there," but I have several charts that we can send out via PDF files to anyone who wants to participate. We are opening this up to anyone who wants to march, as some of my band students have expressed an interest. As long as we play something patriotic, I think we will be fine. Maybe you could start to think about keeping next 4th of July open and making a trip to PA to have some fun.

:blink: What? How? ME!?!?? :blink:

OK Gregg what ?

Loujaye, In your post about being offended by a former corps of yours, you mentioned that you were offended. I assumed that you meant "Steel" and said "sorry if you were offended, but get over it!" That's what I meant by the statement that I was messing with you!!!

Check the post under alumni, "Can you call it an alumni corps..."

Again just having fun with an old friend by bygone years!

Gregg

In order to celebrate the 30th year since the corps was on the field, some of us old guys are planning a reunion and are seriously discussing the possibility of marching as the Derry Patriots Alumni Corps in the Latrobe 4th of July parade. Yes this seems impossible or sounds like we had too much to drink, but an informal meeting took place at the Hempfield band festival last Saturday night. In attendance was myself, Jay Cribbs, Gary Baird, Tammy Smithley, Harry Heiple, and Paul Lizza. We have been able to procure the actual instruments we used in the Patriots. Yes, these are valve/rotors that have been in storage for thirty years, but with a little TLC, we believe they will be functional. As a history buff, I am delighted to imagine a corps marching with the old valve/rotors. As future meetings take place I will keep the information flowing. If you or anyone you know marched with us, drop me a line at sweendoc@yahoo.com. We have also decided that the parade corps will not be limited to just alumni of the corps, as anyone who wants to march may do so. This is a one shot deal, there are no plans to continue after the 4th parade. We will not be trying to steal anyone from any other local corps. (I can't believe anyone would want to play continously on those old horns!) Put the word out and hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely, Gregg Sweney

Western PA bump