GCS/Rita

Good luck, guys. Our Cat 5 was a very mean SOB. We are farther inland than San Antonio and we got POUNDED. We had a Cat 1 minus the ground swell. This was nearly 200 miles inland!!!

Start looking for hotels on IH 10 west of San Antonio starting in Kerville. They might not be so badly booked up and are nice and safe and clean. Personally, I would go to Round Rock or Georgetown, north of Austin. You could get there without ever going to San Antonio. (US 75?) I heard that IH 45 north is a total parking lot for many, many miles right now. If you are leaving right now and happen to read this, GO TO THE AUSTIN AREA!

I have lived in Jackson, MS for 13 years now, but my home will always be "the Westside" of San Antonio. Viva el Barrio! (Yeah, I'm white, but I still grew up near the projects, ese!)

Best of luck to you all. The Jackson Generals are thinking of each of you!

Wade Rackley

Jackson Generals

Contrabass Section Leader

Edited by Periphery

I will keep you guys in my prayers that all of you are safe.

Long Live the Lone Star State!!!!!!

Unfortunately, some members on the North and West side of Houston are planning to stay and ride it out for now. GCS members pretty much quit posting to our message group yesterday. Hopefully they’re all getting ready for the worst if the storm hits hard. The Walmarts were out of water in the Houston area last I heard. At least the officials in Houston had the sense to start evacuations sooner rather than later.

The 2006 staff retreat was scheduled for this weekend in Galveston; guess we’ll reschedule that…

I lived in Houston for three years and never saw a hurricane. I may have gotten out just in time.

I used to live in Brownsville, Texas. I went through two hurricanes but nothing like Rita. One of my best friends has just left his house and is moving his family to an aunt's house in Dallas.

Pray for the best.

Loaded up all the horns and other GCS equipment onto the trailer tonight for its trip to higher and safer ground. As long as the storm continues to track the way the forecasters are predicting, then we should be fine. Been thru several of these before growing up in the Rio Grande Valley. Already have the water and food stocked, trees trimmed, preparations made to board up the windows, etc. Nothing left to do but sit back and wait for the winds and rain now.

Hi all-

From our e-mail network it sounds like some of the GCS group has the same idea as Jon and I: We were going to head out but the lack of gas and the parking-lot highways are keeping us in town. We are on the NW side well out of the flood plain, and we are going to ride out the storm in the church Jon works at (Messiah Lutheran, no windows in the offices, and it is right near highway 290 in case someone needs help from being stuck on the highway).

It will be uncomfortable for a while, but I suspect the corps will be in high spirts and getting back to normal by the time open house comes around. Whenever we get power back after the storm everyone will be checking in.

:ph34r:

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers!

Barb Wendt (And husband Jon)

Govies 1996

Gulf Coast Sound 2005

So far so good-GCS folks are slowly checking in, and the worst anyone has so far is tree limbs down in their yard. Most folks in the area do not have power yet that we have not heard from, and we have one snare from Beamount, which is an area that was really hit hard. It may be a week before his family gets back in to check the damage.

Barb Wendt

Govies 1996

Gulf Coast Sound 2005

Thinking about you guys! Hopefully everyone is safe!