More on Troopers 1979

Again, I say Wow... :worthy:

SO WAS I. We spent the last few weeks of the season nipping, sometimes within thenths, at Crossmen's heels. It is totally true that if C-men didn't deliver and Troopers did, we could take you. That's what happened. Listen to the crowd reaction to both shows. It's obvious.

I am surprised that middle-aged people are still whining that they were screwed. I teach my students that that is the sentiment of a sore loser. Get over it. It was 25 years ago. Move on.

Oh, and lest we forget: Troopers had to change lodgings because of threats from Crossmen members. I heard some myself- terrifying for a kid. We did our finals show with a snotty, bad loser sign in the back stands (Trooper$) with "THE" Crossmen mascot skull guy. Really subtle. Let's not talk about the incredibly mature and honorable manner Crossmen members yelled unprintabe at us as well.

We beat you. You kicked us many many more times, but we beat you once...

...when it counted.

Sorry I don't recall that you guys were anywhere near us all year long. From what I remember you guys were placing between 16th & 18th place while we were consistently placing between 7th & 9th.

You saw it for yourself what that judge said.......he persuaded the other judge who reluctantly didn't want to change his score. I say shame on Mr. Nee for not sticking to his guns and called it the way he saw it! And BTW, Mr. Nee was NOT a GREEN judge! He had some years under his belt judging drum corps.

As far as crowd reaction doesn't mean squat. Think how many times the crowd when ape crap over Madison and it didn't change the mind of the judges.

As far as growing up and getting over it, I fill like we are owed some type of closure from DCI for this horrible act. It may have been 20+ years ago, but the hurt is still there.

As far as the sign in the back.....I don't remember seeing the sign Trooper$, however I do recall the sign we held up of our Associate Champion score. We weren't trying to be rude or disrespectful of the other corps who were on the field. We were just trying to show the fans that we should have been in finals that night.

As far as you beating us in our eyes was a fluke and I think you guys knew that.

It wasn't the GE scores that everybody complained about, Crossmen didn't make finals because a low M&M Ex. score! And yes I was there!!

Troopers beat Crossmen at prelims by two tenths of a point! I think that spread is small enough to make some people believe that a GE brass judge raising his score by over 1 full point of what Troopers had been scoring could've had a major role in why Crossmen were knocked out of finals.

If Richards honestly felt that if a corps makes him cry they automatically get a 9 plus in GE even though they normally score high 7's to low 8's :worthy: so be it.

But to even WANT to know what another judge has given as HIS score, let alone LOBBY and PERSUADE that judge to CHANGE his score to a higher one, especially when they are judging two different captions altogether is at best, TOTALLY UNETHICAL <**> <**> <**>

This whole deal stinks to high heaven and it reminds me of one of the main reasons why I got out of the activity in the first place... Arrogant and incompetent judging, both of which can be seen by this example.

I'd sure like to know how much of a bump Richards got out of Nee though. B)

I betcha it was more than .2

Edited by Russellrks

You know, this just goes to show how passionate we are about our activity. This event took place 26 YEARS ago, and the emotion of the night still runs raw. Let's just remember to keep it civil though please!

I guess the truth is out now. However, I do remember the Crossmen's lackluster prelims show. Their performance made placing them 13th easier than it should have been.

Quick check of CorpsReps doesn't show that Troopers ever saw Crossmen that season at a show. Going by the relative score spreads between the two corps all season long, it would appear that Bones, even with an inconsistent onfield product, was still scoring between 12 and 6 points higher than Casper: as late as 3 days before prelims, Crossmen snagged an 84 on a night when Troop was at 78 at another contest. The relative scores and placements of all the other finalists corps at those two contests proved relatively consisten when they were all put together that week, so the anomaly would seem to be the Trooper's number at prelims.

I agree that what's done is done, and there's no sense anyone crying about it, but there's also no sense in any Trooper alums getting defensive about it. Richards' own account indicates that he acted in a way that many would deem inappropriate by politicking for another judge to change his score to boost the overall tally for one particular corps. That's the kind of crap that is inexcusable, and gives credence to those who can plaim that 'politics' can have too much to do with score. Crossmen used the feeling to come back better the next year, and it gave the fans another chance to see the Troopers in finals, so there was some good to come from it; but it doesn't make what happened lilly-white, imho...

Edited by mobrien

Interesting stuff. Surprised the Boomeister would print it. If I interpret correctly, even Mary Pesceone attempted to affect the outcome. Nice.

Ramifications of this unethical BS may have extended beyond that season. If I recall correctly, Blue Stars, who narrowly missed finals in 1980, lost a few players to Troopers because they were seen as up and coming from that 79 finals appearance. Blue Stars are still trying to get back. Could one judge playing hanky panky make that much of a difference for years to come? Hard to say. But, how many other times did it happen and to whom? This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Where are those DCI cheerleaders now? Not a single post from the rah rahs.

*crickets*