Is there no beauty in drum corps any more?

VERY RANDOM THOUGHTS

I am sitting here with a pop-orchestra version of some Gershwin stuff playing and during I Love You, Porgy I got these tremendous chills when the crescendo into the final chorus occured.

I couldn't recall that happening while watching one single corps this year. Oh sure, there were goosebumps for some moments, but they didn't seem the same....like when the tears came to my eyes as the wall rose during the Aquarius show done by Suncoast Sound.

I know that I am old school and I appreciate the raw fury that leaps from the horns of drum corps. But I also love those moments when the shear beauty (SCV - Tender Land, BD - Bellavia, Anaheim - soprano solo in So Very Hard to Go, Spirit - He Is The Reason and dozens of others) is nearly overwhelming. Even drum solos (when there used to be drum solos) like Percussion Bohema or Niner-Two had a beauty that was unmistakable.

It seems today that you can close your eyes and each corps sounds the same as another. Is style gone along with the beauty? Is the individuality gone? What seperates one from the rest?

I can remember when visual design style was individual too. You knew that you could expect certain fundamental things from certain corps. I love to watch the Cavies march becuase fundamentally they stand out from the crowd. Same goes for the Cadets. 27th lead the visual charge for many years and you knew to expect the unexpected. Now it seems that drill books could be exchanged between corps and no one would be the wiser.

How about horn lines? You could tell when Madison was on without even looking. Phantom too. Troopers....you betcha'.

Where did the individuality go? Have corps staff/designers become single minded? Is the drum corps experience becoming homogenized?

Anyhow, these are just random thoughts from an old fart whose corps played Camptown Races and Make Me Smile. As I recall our big ballad was The Way We Were, and it wasn't very touching. I don't think that drum corps needs to go back to those days, I just think that corps need to seek their indiduality and identity.

Thanks for letting me rant, I am just having one of those days.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, after reading this, BD '98 came into my head. Mainly because I'm incredibly glad that no one yelled in the silence at 9:10. Great release right before that note. If you want my favorite crescendo into an impact, listen to that show at 5:50. Best brass moment ever.

(Phantom '95, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, is my favorite ballad ever, if you'd like my advice for one to reassure you)

Let me tell you...Madison had beauty in their performance in 2005

CARMEN :lol:

I'll agree with everyone else--there are plenty of those moments.

SCV '00 --Adagio

PR '03 --Canon, Lord's Prayer

Cadets '05 --Dance in the Dark

Magic '02

Spirit '03 --October, Let it be Me

The list goes on & on

I'll agree with everyone else--there are plenty of those moments.

SCV '00 --Adagio

PR '03 --Canon, Lord's Prayer

Cadets '05 --Dance in the Dark

Magic '02

Spirit '03 --October, Let it be Me

The list goes on & on

Esperanza '03 - You're Still You

Edited by uberon

Beauty hmm? The Cadets' ballad "Dancer in the Dark"

I thought it that it could possibly be one of the best ballads ever!