Carolina Crown

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh gosh. Dont believe anything that is said on that site...

~>conner

Examine this list of very fine corps. All of them achieved great things. All of them scored very well in the competitive arena. All of them were laden with promise for the future. Many of them were blessed with excellent instructional staffs with proven track records. Many of them were fortunate to have a large returning member base with which to operate in subsequent seasons. Every one of them has also spent at least one season OUT of the top 12 during this time period.

1997 Crossmen - 6th place - 93.00

1998 Crossmen - 7th place - 91.40

1998 Glassmen - 5th place - 92.80

1999 Blue Knights - 7th place - 92.50

1999 Glassmen - 5th place - 93.70

2000 Blue Knights - 6th place - 92.00

2000 Boston Crusaders - 5th place - 92.35

2001 Crossmen - 7th place - 91.15

2001 Glassmen - 5th place - 94.30

2002 Boston Crusaders - 5th place - 92.40

2002 Bluecoats - 7th place - 91.50

2002 Glassmen - 8th place - 91.00

2004 Bluecoats - 6th place - 92.125

2005 Bluecoats - 5th place - 94.450

Carolina Crown is another very fine corps. They have done some great things in the competitive arena in the last two years. There is a great deal of promise for the future with a largely returning staff and membership. But as the previous list demonstrates, there are no guarantees. In fact, based on the following...

2004 Carolina Crown - 7th place - 91.225

2005 Carolina Crown - 7th place - 90.725

...and the fact that there are still some corps in their way, it could be argued that those other corps were closer to breaking through than Crown currently is.

This is not to say that they can't do it. Just a sobering reminder to the enthusiastic Crown fans that this activity can humble an "up and coming" corps real quick. Just when you think you have all the momentum behind you, including a returning staff and tons of vets, things don't always turn out the way you thought they would. I wish them luck. But I'm not ready to annoint anyone the "second coming" or issue any warnings to the established "top" corps just yet. Breaking through to be counted amongst the elite is probably the toughest thing to do in drum corps.......second to actually STAYING there once you break through.

Examine this list of very fine corps. All of them achieved great things. All of them scored very well in the competitive arena. All of them were laden with promise for the future. Many of them were blessed with excellent instructional staffs with proven track records. Many of them were fortunate to have a large returning member base with which to operate in subsequent seasons. Every one of them has also spent at least one season OUT of the top 12 during this time period.

Carolina Crown is another very fine corps. They have done some great things in the competitive arena in the last two years. There is a great deal of promise for the future with a largely returning staff and membership. But as the previous list demonstrates, there are no guarantees. In fact, based on the following...

...and the fact that there are still some corps in their way, it could be argued that those other corps were closer to breaking through than Crown currently is.

This is not to say that they can't do it. Just a sobering reminder to the enthusiastic Crown fans that this activity can humble an "up and coming" corps real quick. Just when you think you have all the momentum behind you, including a returning staff and tons of vets, things don't always turn out the way you thought they would. I wish them luck. But I'm not ready to annoint anyone the "second coming" or issue any warnings to the established "top" corps just yet. Breaking through to be counted amongst the elite is probably the toughest thing to do in drum corps.......second to actually STAYING there once you break through.

Wow, I honestly had no idea that our score was higher than that of any of these other challengers to the top 4. :o

Every one of them has also spent at least one season OUT of the top 12 during this time period.

Also hadn't realized that. Very interesting.

Edited by Jared_mello

There's one thing that's separating Crown from all the corps listed above... they are different. They run their organization differently... They run their brass program differenly... They haven't even played a "technically difficult" show yet, and still look where they are? I'm not promising that Crown will be a top 4 corps, but it seems to me that Crown's fate will be decided if an when they decide to take the next step musically and programatically... This summer should be very telling...

One question: What happens when Crown plays a hard book as clean as they did with 05's book?

There's one thing that's separating Crown from all the corps listed above... they are different. They run their organization differently... They run their brass program differenly...

One question: What happens when Crown plays a hard book as clean as they did with 05's book?

Glassmen was different than BK. Boston is different than Crossmen. What's your point? Does Crown possess magical powers that will propel them into the top four, something that hasn't been done by someone other than six of the active corps in how long?? That list you quoted has some great corps, GREAT shows, well-executed, difficult, and crowd-pleasing programs. Glassmen were 5th place 3 out of 4 years...

I just don't think cracking the top four is as easy as you make it out to be.

And in response to your question... maybe 6th? maybe 5th? maybe 7th again? What if Bluecoats get better? What if Madison has another great year? Oh, and then there's BD, Cadets, Cavies, Phantom...

To further illustrate the point... Let's look at number of Top-4 Finishes (since 1980)

BD - 24

Cadets - 22

Cavies - 17

SCV - 17

Phantom - 12

Madison - 4

Every other active corps - 0

(someone correct me if I'm wrong... I know I left Star out of the picture)

Sorry to be a downer, but historically it's very difficult to crack that barrier. Best of luck to everyone in '06 though.

Edited by oboes7

There's one thing that's separating Crown from all the corps listed above... they are different.

Nonsense. Crown is no more special or different than any of the corps mentioned in that list. ALL of those corps are special and unique. To suggest otherwise is an insult to those corps and the work they have done and are doing.

If, as you say, they did not play a hard book last year but they played it clean....and still came in 7th in brass and 12th in percussion, then I'm afraid playing a harder book might not get the results you seem to think are their birthright simply because of their staff's pedigree.

I respect that staff a great deal. I respect their organization a great deal, mostly because they choose to do what they do with as little fanfare as possible. They don't come online and make bold predictions. They don't brag about successes. I wish I could say the same about some of their members. You're obviously proud of the corps you march in. That's great. Don't let your arrogance ruin it.

w/Stp:

minus the stupid

Seriously, to say that Crown will be more successful than those other corps because they "run their organization differently"??? How do you know anything about the way those other corps are run? And what makes you think Crown has everything figured out? Please, if you're going to make these kind of statements, at least back it up with some concrete fact, not by levying baseless insults at other very successful corps. Corps that, if I'm seeing it correctly, have been even more successful competitively (if that's what matters to you) than Crown ever has.

Alright, I'm done.

Honestly, while I think Crown is building something great for the future, right now I think the corps that is seriously knocking on the door for top 4 is Bluecoats. They have gotten into the mix recently and stayed there. More importantly, they are maintaining staff and membership and by doing so are creating their own unique identity. Mature talent and a stong cohesive staff are what will help Bluecoats, and hopefully Crown, break through. The activity really needs someone to do it.