• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Euph:

Bach 5GS - gets a little edgy at higher volumes

Shilke 51D - leads

Bach 1 1/2G - for guys 300lbs+

(I'm looking at a Shilke 59, closer to a 1 1/4G, but it's still on order)

(The Mead SM3 and the Bowman A02-BB1 seem like good pieces too)

For Mello:

UMI Mello 6

For Sop:

Shilke 14a4a - leads

Bach 3C

For Bari:

Shilke 50

Shilke 51D

Bach 5GS

(IMO 6 1/2AL's suck as do 12C's)

For Contra:

Halliburton(sp?)

Miraphone C4 or C3

I'm a Euph player myself. But I've ventured to other voices on occassion.

Shadow_7

I did a quick google image search and found this Halliburton piece. It must be one heck of a mouthpiece cause it even comes with a guage.

I think I meant the Helleberg. All I have is the kellyberg and a very beat up C4. Which why my memory isn't so great. Might also be a product of my location that is more apt to plumbing supplies than music stores. I think the nearest music store is still 46 miles round trip. Heck even Walmart is 25 miles round trip. Gotta love Texas.

As I check out the Yamaha signature series. Some great artists names there. Anyone know much about those pieces? Douglas Yeo and Rogor Bobo and others have some from there. I always thought Bobo did the Miraphone C3/C4 thing. Or so was the case in the late 80's when I was last a music major.

Yamaha Signature Series

Shadow_7

at scv, baris and euphs had to play on dennis wicks......blah, not fun

Dennis Wicks were very popular among trombone players at my junior college in the late 80's. I never really cared for them myself as their rims were a bit harsh on my chop. I certainly wouldn't march with one given an option.

The ancient book by DW on Trumpet and Trombone (one of only two books pertaining to trombone at my college) had a section on mouthpieces that was fairly usefull though.

Currently This is what I use

Contra: Kanstul G

Conn-Helleberg 7B Thinking of Switching to an OLDS 14 Sousaphone Mouthpiece. About the same cup. Little smaller bore and a softer rim. Maybe if I got it the bore opened a little I'd switch. I love the helleberg, but the sharp rim after extended playing 2 + hours straight can really dig into my top lip,

Euph: Kanstul G

King/Germany 1 1/4H

Most of the Bari's I know use:

bach or Kanstul 6 1/2AL

bach 5GS Megatone

and a couple use Schilke 51D's

One of the lead Bari's use a Bellaire Dynamic Trombone mouthpiece. Its Tiny.

Seems like every corps makes their sops/trumpets play a 3c.

Tis the trend.

I just swapped out my 3C for a Schilke 15B and I'm much happier for it. The 3c can rip at high volumes, but it is stuffy at low volumes and the low register. The 15B seems much better at general playing to me. It is a little bit of a hit on range. But the comfort level allows me to actually practice my sop. In between rest periods on my Euph. Not the end all / be all piece, but certainly better.

As far as corps/pieces.

Baritone: schilke 50 - Freelancers (late 80's)

Euph: schilke 51D - Freelancers (late 80's)

Compliance however was optional as we had at least one Euph on a 1 1/2G. And a few baritones on anything from 51B to 6 1/2AL. The 51D was a good match for the pee bore / european / medium shank 2 valve degs. The guy on the 1 1/2G was on a King 2 valve Euph. I miss those chrome horns. Matching timbre wasn't such a big deal as the tenor voice was on a variety of horns. Anything from Olds, King, and Deg. The Contras were the only matched section on K-90's. Until they started buying 3 valves, upper brass only.