ALL STAR DRUM CORPS'

not nearly enough exposure BUT . . . for parades like MACY*S those performance groups such as Broadway, the Rockettes, are paying big $$ to both MACY*S and NBC for the coverage they get.

for the Inaugural Parade which Empire & Troopers did they got the same amount of coverage that each marching group got for the most part. i do notice that both with the Inaugural parades & the Rose parades coverage does vary from tv station to tv station. some definately do have more talking heads than others. i admit i like a mix of performance and talking heads. i do find where the group is from, how many members, what their musical selection is, to be interesting. then just shut up and let them play. :P

another question ~ are most drum corps not expressing interest in these off season parades any longer? with membership diversity as far as location, members being committed to school, etc. are corps finding it isn't worth the hassle, per se, to give up rehearsal time for something as these parades?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not speaking for anyone corp., this is just my observation. I think when the "main" corp. season ends, people do scatter. Whether its college kids going back to school, people moving to another job location (geographic), people getting involved in other activites that take the same amount of time as corp., or maybe people are just burned out from the travelling or whatever reasons they may have. My kids are part of the Crusaders out of Rochester, and they tried to get enough members together to do a parade this fall, but it just didn't pan through. It all depends on the committment of the corp. but I think parades are a great way to keep in practice musically, its great exposure as far as possible future sponsorships but mostly, I would think people would like to do it, simply for the sake of performing.

Thanks for letting me express my opinion. B)

I agree, there is not enough exposure of drum corps in these televised parades; however there are 2 exceptions that I remember with some clarity..

1) Seneca Optimists marching in the Toronto Christmas parade (happens around thanksgiving)1977-78

2) Santa Clara Alumni Rose Parade Corps..I remember the announcers when the corps angled their horns at the stands, saying with their faces "holy crap! wow!"..... that look and sound was priceless

Bill

This is always an "All Star Drum Corps" for the Galveston Madri Gras every year in Feburary.

It's not always in Feb. It was the last weekend in Jan. last year. Looks like it's Feb. 18th this year. According to http://www.kreweofgambrinus.org/calendar.html anyway. Not that you'll see it on the GCS calendar until March. And lord forbid, should you ask for clarification on their mailing list.