Cadet Style Jackets

Hey you are right....it was Guenivere. I remember that contra part starting out the show. Pretty cool. What was the first year you guys ever beat the Cadets in Ohio? WIsh I could get my hands on a bus of that vintage. Those old Gmc's with the little windows. Better than the Harleys Queen City often rode in on. Thanks for clearing that up. WIll need to get back over to Yahoo.

WOW! Talk about bringing up a sore subject!! :P

I think the first time we beat Marion in-state was in 74 at either V.F.W. or Legion State Championships.

If you remember, that was a pretty heated rivalry, with a lot of "bad blood" back in the day. It was pretty much an accepted fact that the Cadets could not be beaten in Ohio by another Ohio corps.

I remember in 73 that we traveled to a show in western Ill.(big trip in the day!) to get a shot at them. 10 minutes before we took the field, the corps was informed that we could not be in competition because we were not members of the local circuit.(Marion was) As Bill Ellis; our corps director, informed us of this with tears of anger in his eyes, you could see the steam rising off of the entire corps. A compromise was reached that allowed us to perform in judged exhibition. We would be judged just like everyone else but our score would not be announced. We went out and performed what may have been the best show the corps ever did up to that point and when during retreat(they added insult to injury and made us play everyone on even though we "Weren't good enough for them") Our staff got the recaps..............We beat Marion by something like 10 points, although a week earlier at State we couldn't come close to them. The crowd had heard about what happened to us and and when the "score that didn't exist" began to circulate. gave us a great ovation.

We never lost to the Marion Cadets again, in or out of Ohio.

Edited by Bob Brady

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! Talk about bringing up a sore subject!! :P

I think the first time we beat Marion in-state was in 74 at either V.F.W. or Legion State Championships.

If you remember, that was a pretty heated rivalry, with a lot of "bad blood" back in the day. It was pretty much an accepted fact that the Cadets could not be beaten in Ohio by another Ohio corps.

I remember in 73 that we traveled to a show in western Ill.(big trip in the day!) to get a shot at them. 10 minutes before we took the field, the corps was informed that we could not be in competition because we were not members of the local circuit.(Marion was) As Bill Ellis; our corps director, informed us of this with tears of anger in his eyes, you could see the steam rising off of the entire corps. A compromise was reached that allowed us to perform in judged exhibition. We would be judged just like everyone else but our score would not be announced. We went out and performed what may have been the best show the corps ever did up to that point and when during retreat(they added insult to injury and made us play everyone on even though we "Weren't good enough for them") Our staff got the recaps..............We beat Marion by something like 10 points, although a week earlier at State we couldn't come close to them. The crowd had heard about what happened to us and and when the "score that didn't exist" began to circulate. gave us a great ovation.

We never lost to the Marion Cadets again, in or out of Ohio.

I am confused. Age does that. If I read this right the point is that after 1973 the Glassmen never lost to the Marion Cadets again? Are there any common contests in 74? Ithaca, US Open, Key to the Sea or any other local shows...I really can not remember. I do know that I bailed for Cavaliers in 75 after being severely beaten by the old guys for missing rehearsal on Saturday morning the week before graduating high school....my excuse....running the State Track Meet. Guess I should have given up my shot at a scholarship and gone to practice.

I do remember the rivlary but I always thought it was pretty one sided as Cadets were really always aiming for Illinois/Wisconsin and PA corps as their main rivals.

I am confused. Age does that. If I read this right the point is that after 1973 the Glassmen never lost to the Marion Cadets again? Are there any common contests in 74? Ithaca, US Open, Key to the Sea or any other local shows...I really can not remember. I do know that I bailed for Cavaliers in 75 after being severely beaten by the old guys for missing rehearsal on Saturday morning the week before graduating high school....my excuse....running the State Track Meet. Guess I should have given up my shot at a scholarship and gone to practice.

I do remember the rivlary but I always thought it was pretty one sided as Cadets were really always aiming for Illinois/Wisconsin and PA corps as their main rivals.

EXactly-We really didn't see each other that often. Glassmen were in the G.L.D.C.A., while you guys were usually off in other areas. Head to heads meetings, other than State Championships were rather uncommon. At the national shows, you guys usually went "Open" class. While we were Class "A". After 74. we really didn't see much of each othere except at State Championships, and of course we folded after the 75 season. By the time we returned in 79, the whole landscape for Ohio Drum Corps had changed. The Bluecoats had begun to grow and improve, the Caballeros were doing fairly well, and several other of the old Ohio corps(Queen City Cadets, MVL's etc....) were gone.

If you haven't been there yet, Chuck Johnson has set up some sites on Yahoo dedicated to the history of the junior corps scene in Ohio

Old Ohio Corps

This is the first of 5 sites,each one dedicated to specific corps, There are also several sites about the senior corps from back then also-some good stuff!

Hey you are right....it was Guenivere. I remember that contra part starting out the show. Pretty cool. What was the first year you guys ever beat the Cadets in Ohio? WIsh I could get my hands on a bus of that vintage. Those old Gmc's with the little windows. Better than the Harleys Queen City often rode in on. Thanks for clearing that up. WIll need to get back over to Yahoo.
You mean THESE busses?

ToledoOHGlassmen1971.jpg

Glassmen didn't But the Ohio Buckeyes had teh most god awful Brown aNd Orange Cadets ever seen. Dayton Ky Golden Biccaneers, 32nd Hussar, Polish Falcons, Etobicoke, Belleville, Phantom, Guardsmen, NOrwood Park, Skokie Indians, Cedarburg, Kewanee, Statesmen (Springfeild),

NOt sure if you are looking for the complete look with Frogs and braids etc. I remember when they first told us we would be going back to the battle jackets in 74 at Marion Cadets. Many were really excited to get back into them ....until that fateful day at Ithaca and inches of water in a freak raistorm trashed the jackets clear to the lining.

The Ohio Buckeyes, Cleveland Ohio:

ClevelandOHBuckeyes19723.jpg

The Marion Cadets:

MarionOHCadets19752.jpg

The Glassmen, early/mid 70's (75 in this shot)

g73_edited.jpg

Edited by Bob Brady

You mean THESE busses?

ToledoOHGlassmen1971.jpg

Yep

those are the ones....though I do not think I would outfit mine with whitewalls. Nice pix of Buckeyes unis....yecccchhh....as for 75 Marion...I was already wearing Green. Why did you guys compete in Class A? I looked at 74 and even on our worst performance (Ithaca) we still beat Argonne and Boston...I am pretty sure on a sunny day...would have been close to associate status. If that is the case then why would the management not get out of Class A if they felt they could compete?

Oddly co incedental that when corps finally accomplish certain goals they seem to fold. Glassmen/Marion....Guardsmen/Cavaliers..I am sure there are more instances that seem more than co incedental.

Add to the list the Millstadt Crusaders, Norwood Park Imperials, Nisei Ambassadors and Freelancers.

Yep

those are the ones....though I do not think I would outfit mine with whitewalls. Nice pix of Buckeyes unis....yecccchhh....as for 75 Marion...I was already wearing Green. Why did you guys compete in Class A? I looked at 74 and even on our worst performance (Ithaca) we still beat Argonne and Boston...I am pretty sure on a sunny day...would have been close to associate status. If that is the case then why would the management not get out of Class A if they felt they could compete?

Oddly co incedental that when corps finally accomplish certain goals they seem to fold. Glassmen/Marion....Guardsmen/Cavaliers..I am sure there are more instances that seem more than co incedental.

I think we stayed Class "A" mainly because up until 75 we were primarily a "Regional" corps. Outside of G.L.D.C.A. shows, the only major national shows we went to were the U.S.Open and Key To The Sea........both of which were pretty much in our backyard.

The first year we went to DCI was in 75 when we became one of the first Class "A" finalists. The "plan" for the 76 season was to make the move to Open class and a larger competition schedule, but the burdens of the 75 season(although successful competitively) on finances and the organization helped lead to our demise in the early part of 76. :(

Edited by Bob Brady

I'm not sure if this falls into what you mean by Cadet style jackets but Star '89 might fall into the category (sans the plad thingies on the sides)