Fastest corps?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I clocked some shows and the fastest I found was Star 93 (tied with Star 91) at 210 BPM. To me that's pretty fast. Try it for your self and take 35 steps in 10 seconds... with good posture and all that jazz! Cavies 01 were around 200 throughout the entire show. Personally, I think these are pretty impressive tempos.

As a side note, we had a sadistic visual instuctor who told us we were going to do circle drill at 200 BPM and when we got done he showed us the Dr. Beat and it was at 240! Let me tell you, that was painfull.

Just for reference, in regards to the 04 BD segment....there was a unified technique. If you knew anything about dance movement you'd realize it was a flutter run. Which is in effect moving your feet in a jazz run technique about as fast as your body will move you. Consider also that the step size for the vast majority of the hornline was large.

Individual step size makes up for the variation in foot tempo to maintain form spacing. Seems simple to me.

Im not trying to convince anyone to like it. Who cares. Im just trying to make people more aware of something that was quickly judged in a negative light.

Like I said, it's a personal taste thing. No need to get all condescending about it. I understand the technique. But perfect technique is part of every step you take in drum corps. It's the intricate timing of things that make them impressive.

Have to agree with most on here.

The fastest I have personally marched in time was a 196 written tempo. However, when adrenaline got going, tempo would get to the 205-215 range. I would find that (even when I was young and thin), it was incredibly difficult to keep ones feet in time. They just wouldn't go! It was one of the few times in my 6 years that I was ever 'out of step!'

So, i don't think many corps have beaten that 220-225 bpm level, at least not very cleanly.

Fischer

Cavies were definitely faster than Cadets in 2001. That opener they do is INSANE!! I'm always amazed at that really fast part in Cadets 1999. There was an insanely fast part and they were playing double time while marching it. It seems like it was even faster than Cavies 01. But I think Cavies 01 is more impressive because the step sizes are way larger and they do it way longer.

Not moving they couldn't....

Don't be too sure. A British rifle regiment's cadence used to be 240 bpm and during the Peninsula Campaign (1809-1813) they'd use bugles to pass orders. I would think it's within the realm of possibility for a corps to do it.