DCI on Discovery Channel

Has there ever been any discussion about getting the Discovery Channel to pickup broadcasting of DCI Finals or other DCI events? They have some of the best pictures and productions on TV today and would be a perfect network to show the art, pageantry, drama, etc. of DCI performances.

first everybody was complaining we needed to be on a bigger network and now that we are apparently its not enough

of course, ESPN2 isn't enough!

we still have to get HBO and ABC primtime to pick up on the broadcast...and I'm still waiting to walk through Times Square and look up to see drum corps on the screen.... :P

Hey, everyone has their ideas. Let them express them. It's one of the many factors that spur change...which can be a good thing (as long as it doesn't involve saxaphones, right?) :worthy:

I'm sure that ESPN does have a much bigger viewing audience in general, but that doesn't necessarily mean that more people would watch DCI on ESPN.

The thought occurred to me while watching coverage of "The Proms" concerts on DSCHD. I was unaware of this event prior to broadcast on Discovery. Now I have watched their replays several times. Their presentation of the Proms event makes you feel like you are there and part of the audience. They have replayed the coverage several times and I have watched it several times. That's how you grow your fan base.

I'm not that the Discovery Channel is a better option, but I was curious to hear what others would think. Wouldn't it be great if we had networks actually competing to cover DCI Finals!

How about the main ESPN channel instead? At least that way we could watch it in HD if they were to record/broadcast it in that format!

Actually, I should have clarified that the HD format of DSCHD is what makes their presentations so outstanding. Thus the suggestion. The HD format makes the show soooooo much more appealing.

I've seen the DSCHD channel, and yes, it is amazing quality. However, does everyone get DSCHD? I know some people don't get ESPN2, but I would think that many more people don't get DSCHD. I think the broadcast on the regular ESPN channel in HD would be acceptable.

Actually, I should have clarified that the HD format of DSCHD is what makes their presentations so outstanding. Thus the suggestion. The HD format makes the show soooooo much more appealing.

Amen to that.....anything HD is the best!!

from hdtvoice.com

"Here's a little update from Tom Blair, producer of the finals broadcast, in response to a question that I asked:

"You want to talk about widescreen vs. 4:3 ####, I am in it right now. I am working on the Super Bowl for CBS and we are going through the process of serving both masters: we are broadcasting the game in HD and SD (standard definition) simultaneously. Graphics have to be built anamophically so that they will work in both aspect ratios, safe title areas change - it's a pain. It will be much easier when we're all high def.

As for 16x9 (widescreen) for drum corps; it would be perfect. Step up to HD, and we could watch the whole show from the high camera and still see the sticks in the snare line.

HD is very much on my radar for DCI. It's a matter of money and justifying the cost. I think it's coming sooner than later.

I'll check in here again after I'm done in Houston.

Tom Blair "

When he says Houston, he is referring to the fact that he's working on the Super Bowl."