So I'll be auditioning for Crown on Baritone...

Being pretty familar with their brass staff I can tell you to pay attention, be confident, be a team player and show great desire to learn. Spend a lot of time on breathing exercises as that is at the sole of the brass technique that you will be exposed to. Breathe from the bottom up with a very open throat and as was said above work on breathe dah until that is the only way that you play. When you are working on your exercises make sure and pay close attention to pitch center as you move from note to note and make sure when you are playing runs that there is clarity between each pitch and it does not sound like mush!!

Good luck and you are about to be exposed to a phenomenal team of brass technicians!!

I could not agree more with the General.

Good Luck,

Alden

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For sure practice Breathe Dah!!! With a nice relaxed breathing passage,"POH" breath. Practice marking time and doing a 9 count breathe through the horn. Long tones!! Think warm dark air! Breath in time with your feet. Take a small breath at the end of the note to get a nice open ended release.

Just a few pointers to get you started. Hope this helps a little bit.

Take a small breath at the end of the note to get a nice open ended release.

Not to start an argument here, but I think you will be better served by keeping your face still at the release, rather than moving your mouth by taking a breath.

i think you should practice ripping the horn off your face real hard at the end of every note... they'll probably be impressed by your bravado.

juuuuuust kidding...

yeah, practice breathing... and hitting pitch centers - and all that stuff.

edit: and as for a serious answer to the breathing question, i think you'd be best served by ending your note however the brass staff at crown instructs you to... adaptability is a big thing in auditions. it's good to go in having your own technique, but if you can't adapt to their teaching and playing method very well, it decreases your chances of making it... be a good learner, and they'll forgive your technical messups more.

Edited by TTitans909

Like the man said above at the end of the note take a breath to create the release. He is not speaking out of turn but helping to give some insight into the approach. DO not end the note with a tongue release or any other approach to release. TAKE A BREATH!!!

Not to start an argument here, but I think you will be better served by keeping your face still at the release, rather than moving your mouth by taking a breath.

Why do you think this? Personally I think it's better to breathe at the end of a release and let the embouchure relax. No sense in keeping the muscles tense for longer than you have to.

That's what he's going to be taught there though. You don't have to move your embouchure in order to take a breath unless you're breathing in through the horn or moving the horn in order to take a breath.

Why do you think this? Personally I think it's better to breathe at the end of a release and let the embouchure relax. No sense in keeping the muscles tense for longer than you have to.

Why destroy the resonance of the note by moving your face? Sing a note and then move your face at the end. See how that sounds?

I thought since the kid is trying out for Crown that I'd give some advice on what Matt Harloff will probably tell the auditionees. If it were any other corps except maybe this coming years Bluestars, I wouldn't have said anything because I don't have insight as to what brass approach they'd be using.

A tongue release is for sure NOT the way to release a note. I don't believe releasing a note with a SMALL breath will destroy the resonance, if anything it will help the note be open and reverberate more.

My opinion.

Why destroy the resonance of the note by moving your face? Sing a note and then move your face at the end. See how that sounds?

Hmm, it doesn't seem to destroy any resonance in my experience. It's something I've practiced for years and was emphasized by anyone I've studied.

Also, I don't think that's a very good example since when you're singing your mouth is already open anyway. The point of the technique is to have the ensemble releasing the same way (obviously), and to keep them from using the throat or tongue to release a note.

I thought since the kid is trying out for Crown that I'd give some advice on what Matt Harloff will probably tell the auditionees. If it were any other corps except maybe this coming years Bluestars, I wouldn't have said anything because I don't have insight as to what brass approach they'd be using.

A tongue release is for sure NOT the way to release a note. I don't believe releasing a note with a SMALL breath will destroy the resonance, if anything it will help the note be open and reverberate more.

My opinion.

Exactly, it's a widely used technique.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach