DCI and Gardner's 7 intelligences

DCI and Gardner's 7 intelligences  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which of Gardner's 7 intelligences is most important to Drum Corps?

• Linguistic "word smart"
    • Logical-Mathematical "number/reasoning smart"
    • Spatial "visually smart"
    • Bodily-Kinesthetic "body smart"
    • Musical Intelligence
    • Interpersonal "people smart"
    • Intrapersonal "self smart"

So I was sitting in my Psych class today and we went through this list and I realized that any performer or instructor must be highly intelligent in almost all of these areas to be successful in Drum Corps. Its cool to find an activity that covers almost all of the intelligences.

So which one is the MOST important.

I do realize that there are new ones added to the list (naturalistic, spirituality, existentialist) but I am going to stick with the original 7.

I just gave a presentation for one of my jobs re: multiple intelligences. I used drum corps to talk about nearly all of them.

This is so weird, this entire week has been about Gardener

I may be way of mark here. I have been reading a lot of threads that over intellectualise Drum Corps. Being a Johhny Foriegner can I understand from this that the American schooling system is getting to heavy?

What happened to good old fashioned concepts like fun, entertainment value, a sense of belonging and learning to work together for a shared goal.

I know its a bit of topic just curious is all.

:rolleyes:

THIS IS IT!!! This is what I remember reading about a long time ago that marching band (and drum corps by inference) stimulates all 7 of these at one time.

FINALLY....and I voted kinesthetic. Especially nowadays.

I agree with Ryan regarding all 7

All are important for a well-rounded person. We all have those 7 intellegences, but in different measurements. I find myself strong in the Intra-personal area of the intelligences. I am very self-reliant and I'm not a big "team player" type person. I always find myself being the person looking into the group, rather being in the group looking out. I was like that in BD-I really tried to bring my best to the group, but I had a hard time "connecting" to the group as a whole. That might be due to being an only child. I didn't have siblings to learn the "team concept" ideology.

Funny people are bringing this stuff up. About 2 years ago we were asked about this at a staff meeting. There was a test a couple of teachers came up with asking what people were like. I knew immediatly what the test centered around. In fact, I was the only person on my site (except these 2 teachers) who knew all 7 intelligences. I am a big proponent of Howard Gardner. Isn't it ironic that the spacial and musical intelligences are the most overlooked in public education. Nothing like kids getting that "well rounded" education they so richly deserve.