Next Div1 corps?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there could be a way to do it without sacrificing the philosophy behind the organization, I'd take Jersey Surf in a heartbeat as a Division I corps.

gil

Troopers

If there could be a way to do it without sacrificing the philosophy behind the organization, I'd take Jersey Surf in a heartbeat as a Division I corps.

gil

They were huge this summer. Apparently their goal is to become division 1

They were huge this summer. Apparently their goal is to become division 1

Sorry Tommy, but the Surf's goal isn't to become Div I, I am sure they are quite content in Div II. The Surf is well known for being a successful "weekend only" drum corps. I believe that is what one poster meant by their philosophy.

The Surf practices all winter like most corps, but only go out on weekends for most of the summer. They then usually have a limited tour at the end of the season leading to finals. I believe tour is about two weeks or so. This past summer the Surf went out for a week early on as well.

The weekend only concept works well for all concerned. Members can work or attend summer classes for college. The staff is weekend only, thus many world class instructors who have retired from touring full time can get their drum corps fix and many young instructors can work while teaching. The support staff doesn't have to tour full time either.

Sorry for being a Surf commercial, but these guys are a great class act top to bottom. Many of the staff put in full time hours...much respect to Bob Jacobs (director) and the Frickes (mom & pop full time staff who have been there since day one).