lowest score ever?

After aging out, a friend had ordered from Ken Kobold, the PR '82 DCI Prelims performance, among others, and played it for me. He liked that performance, because it was outside at McGill Stadium. That got me started. Although the tapes are worn, a friend of my daughter's was able to make an mp3 of the DCI Prelims and Semi-Finals recordings I have of PR in '82 and '83. To preserve them, I don't play the others anymore.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After aging out, a friend had ordered from Ken Kobold, the PR '82 DCI Prelims performance, among others, and played it for me. He liked that performance, because it was outside at McGill Stadium. That got me started. Although the tapes are worn, a friend of my daughter's was able to make an mp3 of the DCI Prelims and Semi-Finals recordings I have of PR in '82 and '83. To preserve them, I don't play the others anymore.

Silly me...yaeh, I have the '81 and '82 LPs with Geneseo on them. Pretty much wrecked them a long time ago though. Got a mp3's of both shows off the web a few years ago, but apparently whoever coverted them to digital had about as much respect for albums as me. Snap, crackle, pop.

I remember McGill. It was nice but we were the first or second ones to go on, at like 7:30 a.m. It was just a little weird, and we had kind of an "off" performance. Remember seeing Brigmen's drum line for the first time that year, warming up in the park. Drool.

Edited by dirtbag

I will always remember McGill Stadium, not just for our 1982 DCI Prelims performance, but for winning the DCI Class A Championship there a year earlier. It was one of those Cinderella seasons.

I also have DCI LPs, from 1978 and 1979, 1981-84, 1986, and 1987. Again, to preserve them, I don't play them anymore.

The corps with the lowest score I have a Kobold recording of is our 1978 DCI Class A Prelims performance, where we scored a season high of 28.45.

I will always remember McGill Stadium, not just for our 1982 DCI Prelims performance, but for winning the DCI Class A Championship there a year earlier. It was one of those Cinderella seasons.

I also have DCI LPs, from 1978 and 1979, 1981-84, 1986, and 1987. Again, to preserve them, I don't play them anymore.

The corps with the lowest score I have a Kobold recording of is our 1978 DCI Class A Prelims performance, where we scored a season high of 28.45.

I do the same thing with my albums. I copied them to a CD to preserve them. However when I copied them I did take out the snap-crackle-pops. For some reason on '81 Garfield at one point in their show the (IIRC) it was the left speaker that cut out on the recording. Perhaps the mic fell over or someone bumped it. I was able to fix the problem using Cool Edit Pro.

How did you copy from LP to CD? I don't think I have the proper equipment to make the copy, at least to mp3. Funny you should post next, because I have Crossmen '79 and '83 on LP. I also have cassettes, one of which contains a recording of SCV, Madison, and us playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" together at the Rockford show in '82.

A good friend of mine was a DCI horn judge in the 70's & 80's and told us the story of the worst hornline he ever judged.....the a small corps from Florida - I won't name them here. He wrote on the sheet that he wanted to talk to the horn instructor during the meeting after the show.

He told them that they were unbelieveably out of tune. The instructor replied "that is not possible....we tuned the horns at the beginning of the season and soldered the tuning slides in place"! :worthy:

Good, bad or indifferent....at least there were HUNDREDS of corps in those days that kids could join!

I do the same thing with my albums. I copied them to a CD to preserve them. However when I copied them I did take out the snap-crackle-pops. For some reason on '81 Garfield at one point in their show the (IIRC) it was the left speaker that cut out on the recording. Perhaps the mic fell over or someone bumped it. I was able to fix the problem using Cool Edit Pro.

I'm glad someone else swears by CoolEdit, though I'm a bigger fan of CoolEdit2000. I first starting using it as a budding EE in programming samples to ROMs for HS audio engineering projects. Later on did I figure out, "Oh yeah, I can take all these drum corps videos lying around and put them to MP3."

How did you copy from LP to CD? I don't think I have the proper equipment to make the copy, at least to mp3. Funny you should post next, because I have Crossmen '79 and '83 on LP. I also have cassettes, one of which contains a recording of SCV, Madison, and us playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" together at the Rockford show in '82.

I've converted LPs to CD en masse before. The only thing you need is the right cables and software like CoolEdit. Begin by plugging the output of your LP player to an input of your sound card. I usually use a stereo audio to headphone connector. On one end it has a male red audio jack and a male white audio jack (one for each audio channel), and on the other end it has a single headphone jack. I connect the two audio jacks to the output of the LP player, and the headphone jack to the microphone input of my sound card. Then I go to the computer and check my "volume controls" control panel, then clicking "options"->"properties"->"recording"->"ok" to make sure the "microphone" input is selected. Then I open up CoolEdit and open a new sample. I then click "record" on CoolEdit about the same time I lower the needle on my LP player. After recording the side of the LP, I stop recording on CoolEdit and begin splicing up the one, long audio file using the software. I first copy/paste the different tracks into new samples, and then splice away the silence at the beginning and ends of each recording. Finally I save the recordings to MP3, one for each track. From there, it's easy to put MP3s on to CDs.

I hope that's a help, and if you need to know more, let me know!

A good friend of mine was a DCI horn judge in the 70's & 80's and told us the story of the worst hornline he ever judged.....the a small corps from Florida - I won't name them here. He wrote on the sheet that he wanted to talk to the horn instructor during the meeting after the show.

He told them that they were unbelieveably out of tune. The instructor replied "that is not possible....we tuned the horns at the beginning of the season and soldered the tuning slides in place"! :worthy:

Good, bad or indifferent....at least there were HUNDREDS of corps in those days that kids could join!

Soldered tuning slides into place? :sshh:

I'm glad someone else swears by CoolEdit, though I'm a bigger fan of CoolEdit2000. I first starting using it as a budding EE in programming samples to ROMs for HS audio engineering projects. Later on did I figure out, "Oh yeah, I can take all these drum corps videos lying around and put them to MP3."

I've converted LPs to CD en masse before. The only thing you need is the right cables and software like CoolEdit. Begin by plugging the output of your LP player to an input of your sound card. I usually use a stereo audio to headphone connector. On one end it has a male red audio jack and a male white audio jack (one for each audio channel), and on the other end it has a single headphone jack. I connect the two audio jacks to the output of the LP player, and the headphone jack to the microphone input of my sound card. Then I go to the computer and check my "volume controls" control panel, then clicking "options"->"properties"->"recording"->"ok" to make sure the "microphone" input is selected. Then I open up CoolEdit and open a new sample. I then click "record" on CoolEdit about the same time I lower the needle on my LP player. After recording the side of the LP, I stop recording on CoolEdit and begin splicing up the one, long audio file using the software. I first copy/paste the different tracks into new samples, and then splice away the silence at the beginning and ends of each recording. Finally I save the recordings to MP3, one for each track. From there, it's easy to put MP3s on to CDs.

I hope that's a help, and if you need to know more, let me know!

Thanks for the info. I'll have to buy all that stuff, which will now include a turntable, because I just discovered my turntable died.

JD, I have a PreAmp USB from TerraTec that allows me to connect from the phono (turntable) directly to a USB hub. I can also put audio cassette recordings on CD using this as well. However, Vaguardguy's solution may save you some $ and allow you to record Videos to an MP3 file.