MBI

Brent

Minnesota Brass Opens New Downtown Office

By Brent Turner, Director, Minnesota Brass, Inc. and Roger Grupp

Nov 3, 2005, 08:30

For many long-time members, it’s like a dream come true. Many have dreamed that someday MBI would get a building of its own, or at least an office. That measure of respectability has finally been realized, at least until next November -- we have a one-year lease.

MBI has office space in Downtown Minneapolis in a wonderfully restored building with lots of arts and non-profit organizations. Some of the groups represented are the Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphonies, Illusion Theater, James Sewell Ballet, Minnesota Chorale, Twin Cities Gay Men's Chorus, and our sometime partner, VSA Arts Minnesota. It's great to be in such good company.

The corps has the corner offices on the third floor of the old Masonic Temple building. It's at 6th and Hennepin, right next to the Shubert Theater restoration.

The address is 528 Hennepin Avenue, Suite 303, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55403.

Thank you to all the fine people and organizations who have donated furniture and office equipment to us.* People have been just great! However, MBI is still looking for, paper, other generic office supplies, organizers, garbage cans, a vacuum cleaner, etc. Now is the time to donate them! And remember, donations to our Legacy campaign will help defray the costs of running this office space.

The offices are also home to MBI’s exciting new Brass Extravaganza venture.

* Donating office furniture and equipment:

Charter Brassy winner Jeff Burnham donated his time and steam cleaner to clean carpets last week. The Turner family has installed two whiteboards. We have 14 drawers of legal-size file spaces available. Mellophone player Cindy Bach and her design company have donated some folding chairs, office chairs, and other furniture. Percussion alumnus Paul Wochnik got us a router and four or five computers from Twin Cities Public Television, and Curt Zoerhof is also donating a computer to our efforts. A color printer/fax/photocopier is being donated by soprano alumna Amanda, the daughter of Tom Spielman.

Thank you to all alumni for their help in setting up this project for MBI. It is truly an exciting time to be associated with MBI!

For more information and updates go to our MBI website.

That's just a hop, skip, and a jump from the Chops office in Dinkytown...

:laugh: I feel the need for a roll of toilet paper and a reconnaissance mission. :P

:laugh: Are you changing your announced address to Minneapolis, then? Or are you sticking with St. Paul? (I know it's really not a big deal either way, but I am curious...)

I am wondering that too. Is the corps going to retain the St. Paul P.O. Box, since Gavin is usually the one who checks that (I think)? Or will all mail go to the new office? Or is the office primarily for special projects? Or will the corps use the office for board meetings? Or am I getting annoying yet? :P

I am wondering that too. Is the corps going to retain the St. Paul P.O. Box, since Gavin is usually the one who checks that (I think)? Or will all mail go to the new office? Or is the office primarily for special projects? Or will the corps use the office for board meetings? Or am I getting annoying yet? :P

The corps will retain its St. Paul mailbox AND location since many of our members, business and etc. are in that city. That will remain the main business address for the corps. The office is primarily for special projects at this point. :laugh: nudge, nudge.

Hey, great banquet last night. Good to see people and I am greatly looking forward to our Open House on December 10!

My daughter takes ballet lessons in this building (Minneapolis Center For The Arts) several days a week. And, the Lone Tree Bar & Grill on the main level corner serves up a tasty burger. Many other great places near by in the warehouse district as well. I've tried to stop by a couple times on the weekend, but no one's home.

Very much looking forward to the Open House in December. Now that we've been sufficiently teased at the banquet about next year's program, I am excited to hear the announcement and learn the music.

My daughter takes ballet lessons in this building (Minneapolis Center For The Arts) several days a week. And, the Lone Tree Bar & Grill on the main level corner serves up a tasty burger. Many other great places near by in the warehouse district as well. I've tried to stop by a couple times on the weekend, but no one's home.

Very much looking forward to the Open House in December. Now that we've been sufficiently teased at the banquet about next year's program, I am excited to hear the announcement and learn the music.

we should be able to make the full show announcement at the open house, or just before that date. It will be something that ALL will enjoy, I can tell you that.

There is a ton of good food in that area. The offices are not so occupied on the weekends at this point since I am so busy at meetings, etc. I hope you can all drop by and see the great location and potential for our cool new offices. We are in good solid company in that venue.

create peace,

Brent