My story.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made Blue Devils my junior year in high school. I met a girl in March of that year who I was infatuated with. She didn't know anything about Blue Devils or drum corps, but she knew I was in it. We started dating and her friends told her not to go out with me because I wouldn't be home during the summer. She had no clue why.

We talked about it, told her I was going on tour with the corps and we'll stay in touch over the summer and continue going out when I got back. She didn't have a problem with that. She pretty much knew I was going on tour and nothing was going to stop me from my summer with the Blue Devils. On the parental front, my parents couldn't have been more happy that my sister and I would be going on tour with the corps. My dad had wanted us to be part of the A corps for a long time, so he was all into us being in the corps and getting ready for tour. I digress.

So, we survived that summer. I came back full of stories about tour, the performances, and the crowds that came out to see us at rehearsals.

I went back for more the next year and we continued going out.

I went back for more again the next year and we continued going out.

Well...long story short. We're married, have two great kids, and there's no question about what the priority is when a drum corps show is in town or if I want to take the kids down and check out the Blue Devil camps.

Edited by bd5times

I enjoy your enthusiasm, and I’m sure you have found out that there are many more there in your same shoes. I marched Crown and remember that same anxiety, buildup, being overwhelmed, hurting, excitement, tired and looking forward to the next camp. I went through the same things in January of 1990 for this brand new thing called Carolina Crown. Even though they we looking for people to fill spots, the ones with the desire and with very hard work kept coming back and finally fielded a “Little” Drum & Bugle Corps. As my screen name exhibits I was not a very good horn player, but I more than made up for it in working very hard. Now that I’m much older, those 3 years I marched Crown were ranked up there (next to the births of my children) as some of the greatest time in my life. I had experiences and friendships that will long outlast anything else. It’s one of those things that you will look back on favorably later in life.

Good luck!

That is because drum corps is an amazing thing, a place where you will make some of your greatest friends. It's also kind of amusing how many people who have met through drum corps get married. I would not trade marching for anything else. We are all one big extended family.

I just wanted to say how much all of these stories helped me over the weekend. I went in there so nervous(and stayed nervous until about saturday night when I was the 4th to last brass member in the entire corps to audition :P ), but I had so much fun. What really struck me was how nice and helpful everyone was. I learned so much from the instructors, and the vets were helpful too. Other vets I've met from other corps have usually been pretty stuck up, and wouldn't even talk to someone who has never marched a corps. But the Crown vets were right there, ready to help out. Once or twice when I had no idea what to do, vets would come over and ask if I needed help, and then point me in the right direction. So for anyone who helped me or anyone else over the weekend, thank you SO much. You played a huge part in easing my nerves, and made the whole thing so much more enjoyable. This has strengthened my resolve to be in a corps even more than before.

congrats...

stick with it this time!

Ditto!!