How do you tune your set?

DaveG

Hey i was wondering how everyone tunes their drumset. I personally like to tune my toms high and my snare so high that it sounds like a picclo snare. tell me what you think.

I usually tune to what's best for the drums. Having an even 12, 14, 16 tom size naturally the tonal difference will be there. Compared to having a 12, 13, 16 setup. I have pulled all my hardware off the shells and thumped on the shell. Doing this I can find the natural fundamental pitch of the shell. Getting the heads in the range of that note or tone your drums will sing the best they can. I'm a rock drummer but I love nice resonant toms.

For my kick I tend to tune a bit higher than most. I like a bit more rebound and a "pumfp" of a bit of tone. This rumbles in the chest from any place around the kit, even without microphones. In a good P.A. this kick KILLS!

For my snare I tune just slightly above medium. My snare side is a 3rd higher than my batter for a nice sharp crack. I use a plain old Remo Coated Ambassador for the batter. I find this is the best head for my maple/purpleheart stave snare. It has a nice short "pah" of sound with fantastic crack.

wow i'd say you know how to do things. lol i just kinda put some heads on, and play. Thats some good advice though, i'll have to try that stuff out

I've sat for many many many accumilated hours reading up on drums, their history, the present, the future. I wanted to know more about the instruments I love. I asked myself a question quite a few years ago..."I play the instrument, but do I fully understand it?" Knowing drum sets inside and out is a good thing to have. Helps makes purchases easier, troubleshooting sound issues, buying replacement parts, everything just becomes easier. Trust me with all the big companies out there like DW, Pearl, Yamaha, Sonor, Tama etc...all the marketing hype can get confusing. It confused me at one time.

For me at this point most of the big companies do nothing for me. I prefer custom drums or drums that I have built myself. It really connects you with your given instrument. What a feeling that is too.

who would want to reply to this thread .... this kid is dumb ...

haha kiddin dave ......

mellow toms and screachin snare are the way to go

who would want to reply to this thread .... this kid is dumb ...

haha kiddin dave ......

mellow toms and screachin snare are the way to go

For the record, i dont know this guy....so someone needs to cancel his account..

haha just kidding ((((CCB AV))))

• 3 weeks later...

I have always tuned mine wide open at the fundemental pitch of the shell (the same way Tenors explaines). I am currently using Aquarian Studio X coated batter heads. I tend to play in more acoustic settings (no PA) so I tune by bass drum low and wide open also. I am thinking of getting a woofer to add more bottom.

For my snare, I just try to find a place between the top two toms that doesn't get buzz from either one.

• 1 month later...

OK I'll bite-

I work at a drum shop, so I tune stuff all day.

My preferences:2 ply top, one ply bottom heads (emperor/ambassador, G2/G1, Double Thin/Classic Clear).

I currently have Rennaissance Emporers with Clear Ambassador bottoms. I like Evans snare heads with the slight ring inside like the generas (the strata staccato snare head for concert/orchestral is faboo, BTW), but currently just am using a Rennaissance Emperor like my toms. I have an Evans emad clear on the beater side and a Powerstroke 3 resonant head- no pillow, no hole, tuned the same front and back. I am running 16-14-12-10" toms, and I start with the 16". I take the wrinkles out of the head, seat (press down in the middle of the head with all my weight), and then tune as low as I can get a nice ring. Sometimes it works better to go higher than you want, then move the pitch down a few minutes later. Then I tune the bottom head a minor third higher. Then, I tune the rest of the toms up- 14" up a perfect 4th, bottom up a minor third and so on up the kit. For example, if the 16" is Eb top, Gb bottom, the 14" is Ab/B, the 12" is Db/E, and the 10" is Gb/A. I tune my main snare above that, and also use a piccolo snare well above that.

I know, too much information.

In short, I am looking for as much contrast as I can get tonally.