Brass Staff Aligning For Colts

http://colts.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=75

Although this has been leaking as a rumor for a couple weeks, it has been confirmed that Jason Buckingham is the new caption head. Tom Lizotte has been confirmed as returning to the Colts in 2006 as well (yay!).

Thoughts on how this might work out? I have heard rumors that we're doing a "darker" themed show this year - although almost anything could be darker than 2005, eh? I'm hyped about it, at least. I enjoyed the mean, GRR part of the show in 05.

Jason is absolutely one of the best educators in the activity. Though not always well liked by the judging community, he is very passionate about what he does and his horn lines idolize him. I marched under Jason while at the Blue Knights and I have been a fan of his work at the Troopers the two years he was with them. I went on to march under different instructors after Jason left BK but I have always thought of Jason as my caption head. I look for great things to come out of his involvement with the Colts this summer.

Thanks for the kind words...

I did not know I had a problem with the judging community however.

The last couple of years with the Troopers they were very supportive of our efforts to try to pull that thing out of the mud. In alot of ways the conversations in critique keep me sane and helped me to keep my nose to the grind stone and have the patience that I needed to keep our program heading in the right direction.

Ya Jason is a good guy...you are going to dig him.

He isn't like a freaky nazi in your face drum corps guy, but instead he knows how to make you WANT to work hard and push yourself--he wasn't one who would kick and scream and beg it out of you every day. He is very respectful to the members and their needs and I think in turn the members would do anything to help him out....(like the time that his luggage got left behind in Murfeesboro, and we all pitched in $5 so he could go and recoup at the local K-mart).

His knowedge of brass, and the music industry as a whole is incredible. I learned so much from him in the one season that I marched with him. I am placing my bets that the folks from Debuque are going to continue growing and become a fantastic drum corps, and continue to turn even more heads.....

Buckingham and the Colts......thats putting two of my drum corps favorites together, should be a great combo! Congrats to you both!

Edited by cwillpayne

Went back and re-read Jason's resignation on the Trooper forums. This is what he said:

"The main reason is personal. I need to get my life in order. For too long the tail has been wagging the dog in terms of my relationship to this activity.

"The secondary reason is the hardest for me to come to grips with. My passion for it is simply gone. For the first time in my life I just simply do not want to do it. Maybe in a years time time that fire will come back. I would be doing everyone a disservice by trying to go forward. You guys would see through that."

Glad to see you got your life together and the drum corps fire back so fast, Jason.

Garry

Edited by CrunchyTenor