Did Drum Corps Help You In The Military ?

With drum corps having so much discipline, how did it prepare you or did it prepare you for the military?

You thought those drum corps instructors were tough, how about having some drill sargent screaming right in you face?? :laugh::blink:

I never went the military route but did drum corps help you during your service ? B)

I guess it did as far as marching and even putting harmony to some of the cadences but then this was way back in the 1970's.

Our Drill Sgts. were tough but a year later they started getting more relaxed to the point that they were not allowed to swear. Soften the Army up, ha ...no wonder we're still in the Middle east!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to BCT at FT. Jackson in 1989. I was in third platoon E 1/28. Third platoon had some very "unorthodox" Drill Sergeants and were usally given the bottom of the barrell as far as recruits went. This time was no exception as about a third of the platoon was made up of ESL(english as a second language) soldiers. Needless to say the Drills were ###### and took it out us whenever they could.

Anyway the coveted prize was to be the Honor Platoon. The honor platoon was the platoon that averaged the highest score after marksmanship, marching, phisical fitness, and common tasks. The first compitition was drill and we were hopelessly lost. So with that the senior drill had a drill down to see who could help out. After 20 minutes it was down to me and a guy that was in JROTC and he was extremly cocky that he would win. The senior drill finally got the other guy anticipating the command of execution and I won. The Rotc guy came up to me and said were did you learn to march like that I told him drum corps, which was heard by one of the Drills. He looked at me smiled and said "not to be confused with band geeks" and mouthed TROOPERS.

Any way with the help of myself and the Rotc guy pur platoon went into the Drill compitition ready to go. Usualy the Army dresses to the right but on one movement I had taught them to dress center and the formation stayed right on the whole time. We ended up winning the Drill, and eventually used the misfits as our calling card and much to the chagrin of the other platoons won honor platoon and got a pizza party. Unfortunately for us the other platoons Drill was on duty that night noticed the pizza boxes and smoked the whole platoon till some of us blew pizza all over the barracks floor.

Thats how Drum Corps help us....BCT was easy compared to Drum Corps, but the Esprit DE Corps is the same and I am proud to say that both have been a privilage to take part in both...

PS when I was squad leader I got dropped repeatedly for saying Ten Hut instead of ATTENTION :laugh::blink::beer:

Edited by soldier81